Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Smoking Tire: Fiesta ST Vs. Mustang Ecoboost

I just really want to see what the mustang does with a turbo upgrade and all the parts along with it. I love my FiST though.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I just really want to see what the mustang does with a turbo upgrade and all the parts along with it. I love my FiST though.
It will run high 10's with a turbo upgrade and all the bolt-ons paired with slicks and the automatic trans.
A GT35R and this thing will make crazy power. But.... It that you want? An automatic 3550lbs 2+2 coupe? If it is.... That's awesome. I can't wait to see them, but FOR ME, my fist is everything I want in a drivers car. As a passenger car, I want a V8 grand marquis lol.

My FiST is every bit a exiting as my 270hp Miata was. An ecoboost mustang lacks the sharpness that a real sports car should. I'm sure that motor will be a monster but its still underpinned by a soft mustang chassis. If you option it out as good as a FiST its going to sticker over 30k. for a 4 cyl mustang. So everyone you meet can ask you "is that the V8?"
Have you driven one? It's NOT a soft, dull chassis at all. It's big, yes, but extremely capable. And it's faster on the autox course than the FiST is. I still have my '14 FiST, and just picked up my Ecoboost Mustang 2 nights ago. It was barely any more expensive than our FiST was! Base model 6MT with performance package and Recaros. X-plan price, with $1000 in rebates after that. If you haven't taken one out for a nice, long, fun test drive, you probably should before you start talking about the handling. All of the tests I've seen are showing .96-.98g on the skidpad, bone stock. 52/48 weight distribution doesn't hurt either!

rexdriver85

I have no hate on Mustangs, but it's a common vehicle. They are cool. Hell I worked on a race team that drifted a set of Mustangs. They are extremely capable and versatile in the racing world.

Still, I'm happy to be apart of a unique community that will have far less idiots and fuqbois. [emoji106]

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I had a 5.0L and a 2.3L turbo fox bodies :)
The new stangs are just so heavy. They maybe light by modern car standards ( like our cars ), but 3550lbs is heavy in my car world.

The 1990 fox coupe could weigh 2800lbs with an iron V8 block, iron V8 heads, iron rearend and steel body. While a 2014 fiesta has a tiny 4cylinder motor with alum block, alum heads, trans axle, and plastic everything, lol. Yet the fiesta is only 50lbs light? I thought with time we'd be moving forward, not backwards. That's why a modern driveline is so bad ass in old cars.
New mustangs have been so fast because the new 5.0L is that awesome.

My 2.3L turbo mustang had iron head, iron block and it weighed 2350lbs !!

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Better materials are being used, higher safety standards are being achieved, rollover requirements are different, platforms are larger-it all adds up over 20 years. They're great cars and have awesome potential by comparison.

I would be in a Mustang or Miata right now if I didn't need the extra two doors and seats.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
I had a 5.0L and a 2.3L turbo fox bodies :)
The new stangs are just so heavy. They maybe light by modern car standards ( like our cars ), but 3550lbs is heavy in my car world.

The 1990 fox coupe could weigh 2800lbs with an iron V8 block, iron V8 heads, iron rearend and steel body. While a 2014 fiesta has a tiny 4cylinder motor with alum block, alum heads, trans axle, and plastic everything, lol. Yet the fiesta is only 50lbs light? I thought with time we'd be moving forward, not backwards. That's why a modern driveline is so bad ass in old cars.
New mustangs have been so fast because the new 5.0L is that awesome.

My 2.3L turbo mustang had iron head, iron block and it weighed 2350lbs !!
Very true, but the new cars are so much more refined, lol. Before I sold my Mustangs, I had a 2011 GT and a 1988 Fox. Night and day with driver comfort and feel. Back in 88, that was fine but if you tried to sell that same 1988 refinement nowadays, lol, it wouldn't work out well. Then there is safety, eh...well laws on vehicle safety and laws on vehicle emissions, etc. all that extra is heavy.

me32

1000 Post Club
I have no hate on Mustangs, but it's a common vehicle. They are cool. Hell I worked on a race team that drifted a set of Mustangs. They are extremely capable and versatile in the racing world.

Still, I'm happy to be apart of a unique community that will have far less idiots and fuqbois. [emoji106]

Fiesta is a very common car too. The only difference is that its an st but its still a fiesta.

rexdriver85

Fiesta is a very common car too. The only difference is that its an st but its still a fiesta.
My comment wasn't a dig on Mustang owners, just that the community is huge, like VW/Audi, Honda, etc. Those forums are saturated with trolls and stuff like that.

I think this one can end up that way years down the road but for now I like how small it is and how helpful everyone is.

I read your signature, I'm sure your Mustang is quite a bit of fun. [emoji106]

me32

1000 Post Club
My comment wasn't a dig on Mustang owners, just that the community is huge, like VW/Audi, Honda, etc. Those forums are saturated with trolls and stuff like that.

I think this one can end up that way years down the road but for now I like how small it is and how helpful everyone is.

I read your signature, I'm sure your Mustang is quite a bit of fun. [emoji106]
Ok i understand now. I miss understood what your were saying. Love the mustang. Very much a joy to drive for fun. Mine isnt really a daily driver. More of a fun back road car and some drag racing. The St is a really fun DD thats surprises alot of people. Handles extremely well ij the back roads. The tires are starting to wear at 24k so it doesnt hold the corner aswell at fast speeds but when i hit 30k ill get a new set and it will be the corner carver it was.

Have you driven one? It's NOT a soft, dull chassis at all. It's big, yes, but extremely capable. And it's faster on the autox course than the FiST is. I still have my '14 FiST, and just picked up my Ecoboost Mustang 2 nights ago. It was barely any more expensive than our FiST was! Base model 6MT with performance package and Recaros. X-plan price, with $1000 in rebates after that. If you haven't taken one out for a nice, long, fun test drive, you probably should before you start talking about the handling. All of the tests I've seen are showing .96-.98g on the skidpad, bone stock. 52/48 weight distribution doesn't hurt either!
I have not driven the newest mustang. I have driven many many cars and have become critical over the years of cars that weight as much as the mustang dose. I knew the ecoboost mustang was out there and affordable but I wanted the rear seat access for my child seat, I wanted less weight, and I wanted a car that felt special. I grew up with F-bodies and have driven everything from cobra mustangs to supercharged NSX's and I have become very biased towards the lighter wight performance cars so the mustang and camaro do not really hold interest for me. I wanted the best car I could get that was also the lightest most involved chassis available. I would only trade my Miata for a car that was as fun and involving to drive but overall speed had little to do with it. I find the chassis of the FiST engaging the way very few cars are. that's why I did not consider a WRX or mustang because I know how those cars handle and while they are very capable and in many cases faster they are not more fun or more involved in the mountains where I like to drive. I do also like going to willow springs but on SOW overall power means little. I don't care if I am not as fast. I know I am having more fun in the FiST than I would in any other car that fits my needs and my price range.

I tend to play with the limits of my cars and at the limit the WRX falls down and the mustang is too heavy and to me dose not feel special so I passed it up.

Both are capable cars and I bet an ecoboost track pack mustang would do well at willow springs too. Its just not the car for me.

255/45 r19 tires can produce a lot of grip. but not the balance and at the limit feel I like. once you have spent a significant amount of time in a well tuned light weight sports car its very hard to go back. lighter car means lighter wheels cheaper tires, less brake wear and replacement cost. Basically cut your tire and brake budget in half compared with some of these modern muscle cars. the price difference in tires for my miata vs a camaro is 550.00 vs 1,600.00. performance tires for a mustang would run near 1200,00.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
255/45 r19 tires can produce a lot of grip. but not the balance and at the limit feel I like. once you have spent a significant amount of time in a well tuned light weight sports car its very hard to go back. lighter car means lighter wheels cheaper tires, less brake wear and replacement cost. Basically cut your tire and brake budget in half compared with some of these modern muscle cars. the price difference in tires for my miata vs a camaro is 550.00 vs 1,600.00. performance tires for a mustang would run near 1200,00.
Do points I want to comment on...

#1 the weight. Dead balls on. There was only one car I test drove before the focus ST, and that was the 370z. I had to drive it because they claimed it lost 250lbs from the 350z to the 370z. I found that hard to believe since every generation of car seems to add 250lbs, not lose it. I drove the 370z and.... Despite seeing the dynos of he 3.7 motor vs the 3.5 motor, the 370z didn't feel .1 fast than my (heavier than 350z) G35 coupe. It felt 100% the same. The 370z did turn-in slightly better, but not $34k better than my paided off G35, lol. The focus no doubt felt faster, but that thing needs a LSD from the factory, not later.

#2 the 285/45-18's on my G35 were $320 PER TIRE. The smaller 235 on the front was $250+ not counting mounting/ bal. I just spent $345 FOR ALL FOUR TIRES on my fist. Do I even need to bring up brake pad cost on the fist vs a G35 with Brembo's ? Fun per dollar... The fist is tuff to beat, even if your not as fast on the clocks :)