Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Starting issues

My car has always needed a firm push on the brake pedal to finally get it to start. Sometimes I need to try two or three times. Yesterday I couldn't get it to respond to the start button at all. But after many tries it suddenly came to life. Is there an issue with a brake pedal safety switch or something similar? It would not seem to match my symptoms, but I wonder about the fob. It still has the original 2016 battery. But it sure seems related to HARD pushing of the brake pedal.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
My car has always needed a firm push on the brake pedal to finally get it to start. Sometimes I need to try two or three times. Yesterday I couldn't get it to respond to the start button at all. But after many tries it suddenly came to life. Is there an issue with a brake pedal safety switch or something similar? It would not seem to match my symptoms, but I wonder about the fob. It still has the original 2016 battery. But it sure seems related to HARD pushing of the brake pedal.
Try the Key fob battery* those are always on searching for the car. They should be replaced periodically to avoid the no start issue that can occur.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
R
Thread Starter #3
Sorry, brain fade when I wrote the post. Of course I meant the clutch pedal sensor, not the brake. I'll go ahead and change the fob battery just 'cause.

I also want to check if floor mat is keeping the clutch pedal from full stroke. But it is OEM.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I also have the OEM floor mat, and have never had to push down especially hard or more than once on the clutch pedal to start the car.
I would seriously consider replacing the car battery in addition to the key fob battery. I replaced my original '16 car battery last summer to try to avoid problems like this. I know the problem may not sound like a car battery problem, but at that age it needs to be replaced anyway, and you can eliminate one possible cause. I've read about all sorts of odd things happening when car batteries get low on our cars, not all them initially seem to be battery related.
Five years is at the top end of a reasonable expected life for a car battery in our cars, and I'm just going to replace it every 4 years because having your car not start is a really crappy feeling and can really cause problems if it happens away from home.

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Five years is at the top end of a reasonable expected life for a car battery in our cars, and I'm just going to replace it every 4 years because having your car not start is a really crappy feeling and can really cause problems if it happens away from home.
Also, depending on how far away from home/any service, it can co$t you much much more than the price of even a top tier AGM battery, whether you have AAA or not (AAA's regular old flooded lead acid batteries offered on their service for our rides are NOT exactly 'cheap'! I know, as I had to use that service. [wink] [:(]).

Sorry, brain fade when I wrote the post. Of course I meant the clutch pedal sensor, not the brake. I'll go ahead and change the fob battery just 'cause.

I also want to check if floor mat is keeping the clutch pedal from full stroke. But it is OEM.
Was this ever fixed? I just swapped trans housing and replaced my clutch pedal, because of the sticky pedal, when getting everything assembled trying to start the car it would just repeat “push clutch to start” and then briefly “press ignition” but I can’t help to think that it’s either the safety sensor or it’s respective wiring for me.

Fordcus Fan

Premium Account
Would also like to know if there was a fix. Replaced my slave after hitting 125k. Having the same "push clutch to start" issue. New battery in car, & fob. Lots of sparks when connecting battery ground wire to frame. New 2yr Walmart battery had 13.6v static charge when installed. Will check voltage every few hours to see if there's a significant draw.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Would also like to know if there was a fix. Replaced my slave after hitting 125k. Having the same "push clutch to start" issue. New battery in car, & fob. Lots of sparks when connecting battery ground wire to frame. New 2yr Walmart battery had 13.6v static charge when installed. Will check voltage every few hours to see if there's a significant draw.
What condition is the battery life sensor in on the Negative cable?

Fordcus Fan

Premium Account
No heavy corrosion on any of the aluminum color metal. The copper color layer seems a little faded. The composite looks fine. Inside of connector looks new. Can still read everything on the white sticker on bottom of sensor. Any way of testing it?

Hi everyone - I have begun to experience longer than normal cranking to start. Definitely an issue on hot start, and not the first start of the day. While I realize electrical issues are magnified in a heat soaked engine bay, wondering if anyone has longer cranking specifically under hot start conditions.

In regards to the key fob solution - does this become an issue even without the car signaling it can't find the key ?