Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The wannabe ST

Hey everyone.

first off I am 100% aware this is primarily a fiesta ST forum. BUT, I bought this 2017 fiesta SE 5 speed, sometime early 2022 as a cheap eco- shitbox to door dash in. I’m trying to save for my first piece of real estate but somehow my money keeps going to my 2015 mustang gt and 2019 Yamaha R6 LOL. This fiesta has been a solid door dash machine for me. It has taken me to Mexico and back, has been in the snow in big bear without chains. And just recently last month in January. My mustang had a flat tire that would not hold air the morning of a track day. Since I had a prior arrangement to be an instructor at the Touge2track event at big willow. I took the good ol base fiesta SE and instructed and did some fun laps. Ever since I took it on Big willow I’ve been sitting on forums trying to see how I can make it faster and better on track/ canyons just for fun. I don’t plan to dump crazy money into this. I want to take a trip to adams motorsports park since it is 10 minutes from my house and see what it does there.
The car is currently still 100% stock with 28k miles and the assumed - original 650tw tires in all 4 corners. The base fiesta forums seemed to be mostly related to exterior modifications and maintenance rather than handling which is why I’m making an account on here. I find more useful info on here and want to get involved in some topics.
Attached are a couple pics of this basic ass econobox.

Attachments

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
All the suspension mods that work on STs should work with non-ST cars.

Light weight wheels, sticky tires and maybe some performance springs and you should be gravy!

OP
WannabeST
Thread Starter #4
All the suspension mods that work on STs should work with non-ST cars.

Light weight wheels, sticky tires and maybe some performance springs and you should be gravy!
Yup, everything is bolt on. The only different suspension piece is the front knuckle. After putting an ST front knuckle and brakes they are basically the same suspension package. I love the look of 16-17" wheels on these cars but I'm going to have to stick to 15s for the rotational and unsprung weight gain. I'm way down on power from basically everyone on this forum lol

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
This is an NA 1.6 and not an Ecoboost 1.0 3 banger, correct??

Ironically, if I ever had the coin, and insanity to get the M-Sport R2 Reiger coil over setup for my car, I would have to swap out the ST knuckles for the base car's uprights, as that is what the R2 rally cars are based on/built off of.

OP
WannabeST
Thread Starter #7
This is an NA 1.6 and not an Ecoboost 1.0 3 banger, correct??

Ironically, if I ever had the coin, and insanity to get the M-Sport R2 Reiger coil over setup for my car, I would have to swap out the ST knuckles for the base car's uprights, as that is what the R2 rally cars are based on/built off of.
Correct NA 1.6L of fury lol. I would be more than down to trade knuckle and brake setups if you do want to go down that route. I get bigger brakes and steering response and you get the setup for your Rally setup lol.

OP
WannabeST
Thread Starter #8
Took the POS base model to chuckwalla yesterday and had fun sending the all seasons to death on track lol. Was able to squeeze a 2.26 out of the car. I 100% think I could’ve got a 2.24 in it as is, but the wind got horrible early in the day with dust blowing all over the track. This thing would easily be in the 2.10s at Chuck just with some 200tw tires. Really want to do willow springs with gridlife for sundae cup now :)

Attachments

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Took the POS base model to chuckwalla yesterday and had fun sending the all seasons to death on track lol. Was able to squeeze a 2.26 out of the car. I 100% think I could’ve got a 2.24 in it as is, but the wind got horrible early in the day with dust blowing all over the track. This thing would easily be in the 2.10s at Chuck just with some 200tw tires. Really want to do willow springs with gridlife for sundae cup now :)
Giving those sidewalls quite a test it looks like lol

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
After looking at the pics I was genuinely surprised I didn’t debead.
And yet, you didn't. A Fiesta SE is not a POS. The manual version is very reliable, and it's the best-handling car in its class. Team O'Neill still uses them for their rally racing school. In 2023.
You'll never make it significantly faster, but it's really easy to make it corner like an ST. Better, even. It's lighter.

After looking at the pics I was genuinely surprised I didn’t debead.
there's an owner on here of a "sleeper FiST" who has done extensive work on a non-ST Fiesta. if you go lurking around this forum i think you'll find their build thread. was still posting as of late last year i think. could get some ideas there. they were also ballin' on a budget so whatever was done wasn't too expensive.

edit: found it!
Continuing my sedan ST build here from the new member post. I am not the first. | Fiesta ST Forum

@Mike King looks like you have a fellow sleeper on the forum

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
And yet, you didn't. A Fiesta SE is not a POS. The manual version is very reliable, and it's the best-handling car in its class. Team O'Neill still uses them for their rally racing school. In 2023.
You'll never make it significantly faster, but it's really easy to make it corner like an ST. Better, even. It's lighter.
The original R2, naturally aspirated FIA rally car class was that base car with a few engine upgrades, a sequential/limited slip transaxle, and full Reiger 3 way adjustable suspension, besides all of the requisite rally safety/reinforcing/cage/seats & belts, under body protection upgrades.

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
If I couldn’t afford an ST, I’d definitely be looking at manual na fiestas. They’d make great practice rally cars for sure.

OP
WannabeST
Thread Starter #17
So I finally got some 200tw tires on the car since I finally finished off the all seasons on the car. I got 195/50/15 federal rs pro on the stock wheels. Not a fast tire at all but a cheap and fun tire.
IMG_7122.jpeg 8DF22633-7F06-4369-B12E-F04969E5DD6C.jpeg
I went straight to a local canyon and the car felt so much better so the very next day at home I started to do some weight reduction. Nothing crazy but enough to have a little more fun.
I don’t want to add these weights in the weight thread on here because my car is a base model and don’t want to add confusion for other owners. If there’s any discrepancies.
the following weights are confirmed with a shipping scale:
spare tire and tools -31.6lbs
Antigravity ATX 20hd battery- 28lbs
Steel open end lugs - 0.8 lbs
Brake dust shields - 1.5 pounds
Rear fender liner - 2 pounds
Unconfirmed weight reduction items:
Emptied out wiper fluid reservoir (too lazy to fully remove)
Rear floor mats
Rear parcel shelf
Front fender liner
Front strut damper weight blocks
Insulation under hood

Overall the car should be roughly 70-80 pounds lighter than oem and I can feel it even in pulling off a light or on uphill canyons drives.
went to my local canyon for some runs with friends and I think it’s safe to say I should prioritize getting bigger brakes before suspension lol.
(I know this road really well I have been driving it for 6 years and I stay in my lane)
IMG_7167.jpeg IMG_7232.jpeg

GeorgiaFiesta

Premium Account
This thread has been so much fun to read. In 2019, I tried to save miles on my ST by buying a base model Fiesta S with a manual transmission for commuting. That car was legitimately awesome to drive. The NA motor wasn't fast but the car really handled like a dream. Combined with the 5-speed, it was such a good daily. I only ever sold it because I hated not having cruise control for long drives. If I ever cross paths with a 5-speed SE for a reasonable price, hope my wife isn't around because I'm buying it.

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
So I finally got some 200tw tires on the car since I finally finished off the all seasons on the car. I got 195/50/15 federal rs pro on the stock wheels. Not a fast tire at all but a cheap and fun tire.
View attachment 56766 View attachment 56765
I went straight to a local canyon and the car felt so much better so the very next day at home I started to do some weight reduction. Nothing crazy but enough to have a little more fun.
I don’t want to add these weights in the weight thread on here because my car is a base model and don’t want to add confusion for other owners. If there’s any discrepancies.
the following weights are confirmed with a shipping scale:
spare tire and tools -31.6lbs
Antigravity ATX 20hd battery- 28lbs
Steel open end lugs - 0.8 lbs
Brake dust shields - 1.5 pounds
Rear fender liner - 2 pounds
Unconfirmed weight reduction items:
Emptied out wiper fluid reservoir (too lazy to fully remove)
Rear floor mats
Rear parcel shelf
Front fender liner
Front strut damper weight blocks
Insulation under hood

Overall the car should be roughly 70-80 pounds lighter than oem and I can feel it even in pulling off a light or on uphill canyons drives.
went to my local canyon for some runs with friends and I think it’s safe to say I should prioritize getting bigger brakes before suspension lol.
(I know this road really well I have been driving it for 6 years and I stay in my lane)
View attachment 56767 View attachment 56768
Wow, you’re used those brakes harder than I’ve ever used mine. That’s awesome that you are pushing your fiesta that hard.