Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Turbo manifold porting underway:)

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #21
I am on a really slow connection and have a major project to start so the pics might not be in exact order but still shows how much the manifold needs ported.

I will have to do this again later to put up the final pics of the porting as I went back and redid it even better but the connection is basically stopped now:(

This is a lot of work, if you can spring for the cash you would be glad to have paid SS to do this for you, I would not do it for that rate, not even close, way to much work!

MOFiST

I can see from his thread how much work this was.
His services look like top value for money.
I'd like to see what a stock turbo could get from a manifold upgrade.
Also did anyone ever grab one of those Chinese tubular manifolds off eBay? http://goo.gl/l7Ndzd

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
I'd like to see what a stock turbo could get from a manifold upgrade.
Also did anyone ever grab one of those Chinese tubular manifolds off eBay? http://goo.gl/l7Ndzd
Hey thanks for posting albeit somewhat off topic of porting of stock manifold...But that's a fairly reasonable base price @ ~$400 USD...like to see quality of build up close although it looks well executed in the pics posted...

Tubular Manifold - FiST.jpg

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #24
I am tempted to get one to check out as well, if I then decided to swap to the GT turbo I would just cut off the flange and weld on a new one.

MOFiST

I think sekred posted up more photos in another thread I was looking for but couldn't find earlier on.
Not trying to sidetrack the thread :) curious about both things!

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Half the cost of the Pumaspeed manifold. Looks shiny too like 409 stainless, no good for a turbo manifold. Needs to be 304 SS.

Puma manifold. 316 stainless steel.

Fiesta_ST180_R-Sport_Tubular_Manifold.jpg

Pics of the chinese ebay manifold in this thread.
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/127-Fiesta-ST-Exhaust-Thread?p=50239&viewfull=1#post50239

They say it is 304ss.

Aplication: 2012 - 2014 Ford Fiesta ST180 1.6T Tubular Manifold

Description:
•100% Brand New.T-304 Stainless Steel Turbo Manifold.
•Fits all Stock and Hybrid Turbochargers
•cnc sus-321 stainless steel flange with tig/mig welded construction
•42mm Diameter Pipes (3mm Thick), Larger than the original exhaust manifold.
•Increases exhaust flow
•Equal length manifold design
•dramatically increase turbo and throttle response.
•extract maximum performance from turbo
•SUIT ALL UK ASIA AND USA SPEC FIESTA ST

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
#1 and def #1, above all #1. I want someone to try this manifold !!! At that price, its just amazing.
#2 even if its a little "not so amazing" when you get it, you can always have a local welder brace it up for more reliability.
#3 the ease of upgrading a turbo with this manifold is 10 fold , since like Rick said, its just a matter of cutting the manifold and welding on your new turbo flange.
Ok... Here is where I'm going to loose you guys.

I actually did find some foreign fist forums. It got old quick. I found a thread on one of them where guys were posting about the pumaspeed manifold. They said that "no way it was an improvement" and that one shop ever reported "less response". And they complained about cost,'lol.

Sorry, it was weeks ago. Ended up on some foreign facebook of something too, lol. Maybe have been perrin. But I don't have any links.

Despite our stock manifold being a POS from the factory, I think with proper porting its pretty good for what we have ( a 1.6L with no RPM ). Look around the SR20 forums. The guys using the stock size T25 turbos all claim the stock cast manifold is the best for power and reliability. That was a car/motor from "back in the day" that generally had REALLY crappy stock turbo parts.

Anyone will to buy this manifold, take logs, let me install it, and then do more logs again, I'll do the swap for the stock manifold core as payment for labor ( and I don't need another core, lol ).

So... Someone else try it and LMK how it goes with before/ after data lol.

$400 or so... That's a lot of mod money for something that could be un-reliable, could lose power, and could be a waste of money.

Now please re-read the nice things I said at the top of this post and try it for me, lol.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Ole yea !! If someone wants to buy one; and send it to me for testing, I'm down for that too !! Lmao

iso100

1000 Post Club
If you open up the ports on the exhaust side too much you lower the velocity and can cause the turbo to take longer to spool. Some of the photos have really ugly transitions between pipe diameter and the flange opening. This probably induces quite a bit of turbulence and causes velocity changes.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
If you open up the ports on the exhaust side too much you lower the velocity and can cause the turbo to take longer to spool. Some of the photos have really ugly transitions between pipe diameter and the flange opening. This probably induces quite a bit of turbulence and causes velocity changes.
I actually said that to Rick as well, back when this manifold first surfaced. I hate to "theorize" stuff without testing, but... It does look like that could be one issue.

The roughness could be cleaned up with porting ( more smoothing really). But now its $400, re-welding/bracing, and porting. Lol. Or... $175+ core to have the stock one ported ( or god forbid, PORT IT YOURSELF FOR FREE !!! Lol ).

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Also... The stock turbo would NOT have to be removed to swap the manifold, although... It maybe easier to just remove the whole thing.

MOFiST

Ole yea !! If someone wants to buy one; and send it to me for testing, I'm down for that too !! Lmao
From what your saying any one with the tube Mani would need a tune to match it. I guess I'm out at that point unless I wanna pay another $750min~ for another cookie cutter etune for our MAF based cars. You'd probably need a bigger turbo to bother with the effort. If I had access to Panda and freektune etc I'd be on this.
On topic porting stock with the cyborg is the way to go.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I think the car would adjust. My car adjusted to the ported stock manifold and turbine housing with Cobb's OTS stg3 tune. But yea, for Maf guys... Sorry guys, I can't answer that.

MOFiST

I reckon ported might work with my bluefin base tune. I don't really want to go into the realms of the unknown then be over the barrel with out a tuning option that doesn't feel like I'm being gaped. DP is it for me unless Cobb gets us a MAF based AP which is highly unlikely being such a small segment.

iso100

1000 Post Club
I honestly don't see how a manifold or header would require a tune modification. The ECU only sees basic variables like boost pressure, egts, cat sensor readings, etc. An aftermarket manifold just attempts to alter the flow of air to the turbine. The same sensors will just see it spool faster or flow more air up top, etc.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
It alters the flow on a car based off of flow. Map sensor cars are based off pressure ( basically ). The maf sensor should simply pick up the extra flow and that be it.

I can say this, after increasing my exhaust flow, my car ran SAFER not more dangerous. I was running Cobb Stg3 OTS 93oct tune with extra boost via the turbo-transformer and never got an knock with the ported manifold/turbine. (While that tune was designed around a car with an intake and intercooler, which I did not have ).

Shows me it makes the car/tune SAFER. Helps reduce egt's. Its just all around better in everyway. No downsides but the cost and time.

MOFiST

I wonder if overboost would become an issue with a larger untuned for manifold or whether the ECU can adjust and rein it in on its own?