Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Turbo Technics S280

Joined the 2 biggest groups from what I can tell. I see the 1 post youre talking about but nothing id consider out of the ordinary. That said my s280s still sitting in my closet and I dont feel confident enough putting it on a car im still financing

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

AzNightmare

For whatever reason, this one seems to be picking up a lot more attraction than what I've seen in the past. So far, I've only noticed one issue though, even though that post within, has claimed there have been more issues surfacing recently (I couldn't find the other accounts).

TBH, I'm actually kind of surprised, and maybe a bit disappointed, that this info is being spread around like a fact, and it's making others feel insecure and questioning the turbo. I mean, everyone has their own timeline and reasons to wait, but reliability from the turbo should not be one of them. This turbo has been around long enough.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
For whatever reason, this one seems to be picking up a lot more attraction than what I've seen in the past. So far, I've only noticed one issue though, even though that post within, has claimed there have been more issues surfacing recently (I couldn't find the other accounts).

TBH, I'm actually kind of surprised, and maybe a bit disappointed, that this info is being spread around like a fact, and that some people are actually buying it and feeling insecure and blaming the turbo. I mean, everyone has their own timeline and reasons to wait, but reliability from the turbo should not be one of them. This turbo has been around long enough.
Most of the time is misrouting vacuum lines on the Boost control sensor or running it out of its efficiency range AKA high boost. If these things are avoided it is a reliable setup.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
There is so much misinformation flying in that facebook thread it’s a crackup . Honestly this looks like the kind shit that used to happen back in the day when guys would drop SR20’s in their 240sx and get a mechanical boost controller and push too much boost on the T25 and lean out their air fuel mixture and engine go boom.
While the Facebook groups do have some very experienced owners it has a shit ton of idiots that should not have an upgraded turbo car to begin with. Their is a lot of stuff not being explained in those threads and the fact is sensible tuning with a reliable tuner is the key. As they will limit the boost to the fuel you are running. Though ya you run something like a E30 tune on straight pump gas without any e85 you could blow up your engine. Also the guy with the s280 in that overheated his engine bad two weeks ago. That could lead to other issues that could have caused his engine to go boom.

Turbo’s don’t blow up engines bad fuel improper fueling too much boost for the fuel and people blow up engines.

If anyone is gun shy of running a S280 because of any of this well they should not be upgrading their Turbo anyways.
People have blown up their engines running Whoosh hybrids and x37’s .

There is so much misinformation flying in that facebook thread it’s a crackup . Honestly this looks like the kind shit that used to happen back in the day when guys would drop SR20’s in their 240sx and get a mechanical boost controller and push too much boost on the T25 and lean out their air fuel mixture and engine go boom.
While the Facebook groups do have some very experienced owners it has a shit ton of idiots that should not have an upgraded turbo car to begin with. Their is a lot of stuff not being explained in those threads and the fact is sensible tuning with a reliable tuner is the key. As they will limit the boost to the fuel you are running. Though ya you run something like a E30 tune on straight pump gas without any e85 you could blow up your engine. Also the guy with the s280 in that overheated his engine bad two weeks ago. That could lead to other issues that could have caused his engine to go boom.

Turbo’s don’t blow up engines bad fuel improper fueling too much boost for the fuel and people blow up engines.

If anyone is gun shy of running a S280 because of any of this well they should not be upgrading their Turbo anyways.
People have blown up their engines running Whoosh hybrids and x37’s .
Wait, wait, wait. Wait. Facebook and misinformation? This can't be.

AzNightmare

What are they seeing as the mechanism of failure?
Not sure, I'm not following the post that intently and last I check, they were still trying to pin point the actual issue. There hasn't been any new updates. That's kind of the thing with facebook, it's not great for real discussions. Wait 2 days and the thread is done. lol.

so are they worried about the turbo or motor reliability? lol. so many variables.
The turbo. Yes, I agree, the turbo is fine.

Bull Run

U.S. Army Veteran
People on FiST Facebook groups suddenly seem very concerned about the S280's reliability, saying they are seeing blown motors more and more now.
What's up with that?
I've also seen some posts but they didn't have much of details. For example, if the hose to WGA broke or boost solenoid malfunctioned, it can cause an overboost conduction but it wouldn't be the fault of the turbo.

Se7eN

Most of the issues I've seen and read about usually revolve around the person routing the boost solenoid wrong or beating on the thing with an incomplete tune. Also seen plenty going for all the boost and stock motor. Yes it will hold 35psi, but for how long is the real question.

I installed around 7- S280 most of them 2 years ago, only one had engine related issue and it was literally a case of using a Meth tune without any Meth. It wasn't related at all with the turbo. All of them are set bellow 28.5psi which is bellow what the stock Map reads (29psi-ish) and they are fast as all heck just like that. There are many others on the island with the S280 and non have had engine related issues caused by the turbo.

PS. Only seen one with shaft play, but unknown circumstances as it was on another car and then moved to the current car and installed by the owner. No real way to know what went on during that time as the original owner had 0 issues or complaints. I myself removed it from the original car and it had 0 shaft play.

Point is there is a lot of miss-information in FB all those groups. Do your research and try to get correct install info or a professional install.

Bull Run

U.S. Army Veteran
Most of the issues I've seen and read about usually revolve around the person routing the boost solenoid wrong or beating on the thing with an incomplete tune. Also seen plenty going for all the boost and stock motor. Yes it will hold 35psi, but for how long is the real question.
Indeed, just saw a post where a guy was getting 29 psi (actual likely higher due to the stock sensor limitation) on a base map. Base maps usually have 0% WGDC, so he likely routed his hoses wrong.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
No, bit

No, but probably anything t25 based could be fit without a lot of trouble. It's a small turbo.

I'd consider a coating before a turbo blanket. It's 2022.......
Been saying this all along* including exhausts.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Been saying this all along* including exhausts.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
One of my friends was an engineer at bw turbo plants in NC and for a while in brazil. A major focus on all their new materials/castings of the last 20 years is containing exhaust heat in the turbine. That's as much advertising as I need to know the value of coatings....

Btw, the major Mercedes engine advantage at the beginning of the turbo hybrid era was their split turbo. Isolating the compressor away from the turbine and mgu-h with a torque tube. Again, the several million they spent on that is enough advertisment for me....

Completely unrelated, except F1 uses similar style wheels. but I actually owned a 5 blade motorsports turbo years ago. It sounded insane, thru the exhaust and really spoiled fast with that barely there turbine in a very small housing on a 550hp 2.1 liter engine.....

Last edited:

AzNightmare

What are some numbers you guys are getting from plain stock fuel 91 and 93, no E30.
I'm in my 3rd revision so not sure how much more power bump I should be expecting, but vdyno is showing around 275whp 290wtq. 24.5~ psi.
I'm using Shell 93. I was expecting closer to 290-300whp. Is anyone else getting numbers like me?

dhminer

2000 Post Club
What are some numbers you guys are getting from plain stock fuel 91 and 93, no E30.
I'm in my 3rd revision so not sure how much more power bump I should be expecting, but vdyno is showing around 275whp 290wtq. 24.5~ psi.
I'm using Shell 93. I was expecting closer to 290-300whp. Is anyone else getting numbers like me?
That's pretty normal. VDyno shows me at 285whp 257wtq on 2860. It's the fuel system's limit, not the turbo's.