Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Turbo Technics S280

Dpro

6000 Post Club
that's just cause Vdynos are not consistent either.

In my area all GTX, Hybrid, MRX, S242 are all peaking in the same HP range on pump gas, due to crappy gasoline that is "93oct". 265-275whp depending on weather. Only really difference is seen with add ons line Meth, E30/40 and/or port.

All this fighting about over inflated numbers which are not really real world results is kinda funny. Specially basing results from people you don't really know that dynoed under really different conditions.

Having said this, that video where the S280 Dynos 270 something whp, makes sense for pump gas.
So given that you have seen all of that what would be interesting to know is the difference in responsiveness.
As some would like a quicker spool while others might prefer a later spool which all might hit the same HP numbers is just a question of when and how quickly and where.

In my opinion after observing all of this it leads aka friend has a S242, friend has a GTX, and the hybrids the S280 is looking like a nice turbo that gives you the spool closer to that of hybrid with the power of bigger turbo that is not overspinning to get there.

I am now closer to thinking I will get the S280.

Se7eN

So given that you have seen all of that what would be interesting to know is the difference in responsiveness.
As some would like a quicker spool while others might prefer a later spool which all might hit the same HP numbers is just a question of when and how quickly and where.
Responsiveness is apparent in Whoosh Hybrid and S242 but also have a lot more traction issues (which most people tend to overlook). It's al equalized when you go ahead and brake boost the GTX or MRX, both cars leave the same and the bigger turbo will get top end advantage.

Now the hybrid car with good tires gapped the GTX car (w/o brake boost) by buses due to having the grip and responsiveness as compared to the GTX. Then again in a recent event at the track while rolling in first gear until the end of the 1/4 mile that hybrid could not keep up with my car (both on very similar tires).

Driving skill, tires, clutch, boost by gear, brake boosting are all variables that tend to be overlooked a lot when comparing different set ups. You might get more low end torque or responsiveness but does not mean it's going to be the better car.

wetwea33

Responsiveness is apparent in Whoosh Hybrid and S242 but also have a lot more traction issues (which most people tend to overlook). It's al equalized when you go ahead and brake boost the GTX or MRX, both cars leave the same and the bigger turbo will get top end advantage.

Now the hybrid car with good tires gapped the GTX car (w/o brake boost) by buses due to having the grip and responsiveness as compared to the GTX. Then again in a recent event at the track while rolling in first gear until the end of the 1/4 mile that hybrid could not keep up with my car (both on very similar tires).

Driving skill, tires, clutch, boost by gear, brake boosting are all variables that tend to be overlooked a lot when comparing different set ups. You might get more low end torque or responsiveness but does not mean it's going to be the better car.
I think it mostly comes down to if ur looking for a better experience daily driving or your racing or competing. Brake boosting works in a straight line but coming out of a corner not so much. I think daily driving, overall having a more responsive turbo will suite you better and if you drive alot of highway or do roll racing events/half mile.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Se7eN

I think it mostly comes down to if ur looking for a better experience daily driving or your racing or competing. Brake boosting works in a straight line but coming out of a corner not so much. I think daily driving, overall having a more responsive turbo will suite you better and if you drive alot of highway or do roll racing events/half mile.

That's another part that it also comes down to how good is your tune. I have no issues driving daily mostly city driving in a hilly place. Responds so well I barely make it past 5psi in normal driving.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
I'm in the same boat.
Track spec and s280, very close in $
Very close in power
Same style bearings

Track spec
has donkey kick tq
Exact oe fit
Cop cant tell the difference
It's a whoosh product
Less top end

S280
Looks like a real turbo
Better top end
Less donkey kick tq (better on driveline)
Reputable company
Needs an external bov
Makes less heat
Lee's of a chance of over spinning

That's what I have gathered so far. I have not driven either. Both look solid. Just depends on where one wants the power or will use it more in the rev range. If I'm missing something pls add or subtract. Thx.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
How about all y'all just buy one or the other and quit the ....Well if I only had more graphs or an idea of spool! Go get one and make your own comparison! Cripes!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
I don't like them apples.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I'm in the same boat.
Very close in power
Same style bearings

Track spec
has donkey kick tq
Exact oe fit
It's a whoosh product
Less top end

S280
Looks like a real turbo
Better top end
Reputable company
Needs an external bov
Makes less heat

That's what I have gathered so far. I have not driven either. Both look solid. Just depends on where one wants the power or will use it more in the rev range. If I'm missing something pls add or subtract. Thx.

From what I understand the S280 "should" make more hp on pump gas. But hp isn't everything. For my driving style I think I'd rather have a strong bottom end and midrange, but only if it gives me that on pump gas.

wetwea33

I'm in the same boat.
Very close in power
Same style bearings

Track spec
has donkey kick tq
Exact oe fit
It's a whoosh product
Less top end

S280
Looks like a real turbo
Better top end
Reputable company
Needs an external bov
Makes less heat

I'd like to see side by side Dyno graphs of the S280 and say the Whoosh Hybrid on 91 & 93 octane and say E30, but without aux fuel. That would give me a better idea of spool time and where the meat is in each turbo.
I doubt running ethanol on the s280 without aux would do anything. Will run out of fuel.

felopr

My buddy barely broke 290 in his hybrid with meth. Loads of timing and a peak boost of around 29psi which drops off on the top end, don't know how much it does drop off though
The problem here in PR, apart from the shitty fuel and lack of pump 85, is that humidity is thru the roof always

Last edited:

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Oh that just makes the whole thing a tiny bit easier to sell to the wife. That's awesome.

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Oh that just makes the whole thing a tiny bit easier to sell to the wife. That's awesome.

That's a simple solve.....Do like I do...just buy what you want and then point out all the Shoes...Purses and Clutches laying around the house and say you are the pot calling the kettle black when it comes to buying shit Lady...If she gets all huffy...I just hang out with my Doggo....He will love me no matter what! Who couldn't love a dog like this?

Last edited: