Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Turbo Technics S280

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
The guy with a stock intercooler and an S280, do you have an estimate on the power they made?

This is the path I've been planning on taking. Most people go "FBO" before they upgrade the turbo so it's hard to get numbers.
what's you're reasoning for not getting an upgraded intercooler?

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
what's you're reasoning for not getting an upgraded intercooler?
Lazy.

And money.

It's not that I'd never add additional mods after a turbo upgrade, I'm just curious what power a turbo/tune mod path would make.

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Lazy.

And money.

It's not that I'd never add additional mods after a turbo upgrade, I'm just curious what power a turbo/tune mod path would make.
Intercooler is a bit of a lengthy install, but it's definitely worth it. I definitely know how you feel about the money though. This is just my guess, but for numbers I imagine that power would probably be down a fair bit, and the extra heat from the turbo would cause a lot more heatsink, and greater charge temps which aren't very good for your engine. Plus if you don't buy a lifetime tune, you'll end up paying more for a "tune-up" to add the intercooler if you add it later. You could reach out to a tuner and ask them their opinions.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Intercooler is a bit of a lengthy install, but it's definitely worth it. I definitely know how you feel about the money though. This is just my guess, but for numbers I imagine that power would probably be down a fair bit, and the extra heat from the turbo would cause a lot more heatsink, and greater charge temps which aren't very good for your engine. Plus if you don't buy a lifetime tune, you'll end up paying more for a "tune-up" to add the intercooler if you add it later. You could reach out to a tuner and ask them their opinions.
Jason said S280 would be better because it's more efficient.

I would have no delusions about making the same power as folks with additional mods.

It would also highlight the other limiting hardware if the turbo was no longer the bottleneck.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Jason said S280 would be better because it's more efficient.

I would have no delusions about making the same power as folks with additional mods.

It would also highlight the other limiting hardware if the turbo was no longer the bottleneck.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
If you do go this route definitely let us know how it goes! It would be interesting to see how the car handles a bigger intercooler on mostly stock parts.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
The guy with a stock intercooler and an S280, do you have an estimate on the power they made?

This is the path I've been planning on taking. Most people go "FBO" before they upgrade the turbo so it's hard to get numbers.
He was on his 3rd or 4th revision, hes got a Bravo Alpha now. It was just a placeholder, no idea what kind of power it made.

Guys, new to the Forum and a fairly new ST owner, but a very old kid. I’m seriously considering the S280 with the Air Tech Tubular, had been considering Ron’s Hybrid. Initially, not going Aux Fuel, so questions go with stock fueling. Looking for some feedback as I’m still learning details.

Currently running Jason’s E30 tune with below mods. As a reference, love the E30 HP/TQ #’s at 3k RPM (Vdyno dynojet SAE ~150/250). Would love to hold onto same with the S280, as this is my daily driver. Peak #’s not critical at this point. Looking through this thread and the other thread covering dyno #’s, it seems possible to achieve ~150HP/250TQ at 3k with the S280.

Mixing fuel is super easy for me, I have consistent 85% at the closest gas station to my house, and solid 93/10%. I either add 5/2 or 7.5/3 to top off the tank at the same pump, check %Ethanol periodically – so far always 85/10.

I understand using E30 with the 280 & stock fueling isn’t going to help peak HP much, if any. I’m thinking it would help E30/S280 #’s at 3k RPM though, as fuel is not limited, at least I assume so.

Looking for some clarification. Should E30 yield better #’s at ~3k than 93oct? Whatever turbo upgrade I decide, I’d be adding a catted downpipe at that point, either the Depo 100 cell or Ron’s. Stock cat-back for a while.

Thanks for the feedback.

I have an S280 and can only get 93 or 91 pump gas. I have the Whoosh V3 FMIC and all the hot and cold side Whoosh pipes and crossover pipes. IMO the S280 works much better above 3K rpm than below. It doesn't have that donkey kick low rpm torque like the hybrids do, but it pulls hard all the way to 7K rpm. With my set up the power band is 3000 rpm to 7000 rpm. I'd say this turbo spools 500 rpm later than the hybrids, but it doesn't fall on it's face higher up in the power band. It's a much wider smoother power band IMO. Probably not as good for auto X but as my daily driver it's perfect.

I just got done installing mine.

Good lord, this thing sounds so incredible. The noises my car makes now are downright intoxicating.

If anybody has any questions about the install, feel free to PM me while the information is fresh in my mind.

Here are my tips:

Use fluid line clamps on your coolant lines, you won’t lose much at all that way.

Take off your coolant lines BEFORE your heat shields. I thought this would be common sense, but I still hear about people struggling.

Be 100% sure the turbo inlet is in the right position for your crossover pipe BEFORE tightening everything down.

One of my downpipe bolts was cross threaded from factory. Go slow with these and use a 6-sided socket. If you need a new bolt, it’s 8x1.25.

I needed to grind more of my block than I originally expected. Not a big deal, just take your time. Plug any open piping (intercooler for example) while you’re grinding. This is 100% necessary, your manifold will not lay properly with the turbo setting on the block.

Spray all nuts and bolts with Kroil. Everything was smooth as butter for me, even my o2 sensors after 57k miles.

Install the bottom oil line while the turbo is out of the car. The torx bolt closest to the block is difficult to reach while the turbo is installed.

You can lift your factory downpipe from the top of the car, even while the factory turbo is still in place.

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
I'm curious as well. How much per is restricted by a stock downpipe with the s280?
From Jason:

I typically see right near 300whp on the stock fuel system. The s280 can easily make that power, so the limiting factor will really be your fuel quality. Some cars I see break 300whp without a sweat, and some struggle to hit 275whp. I have tuned a few on the stock downpipe and will say at that power level, it doesn’t really make a difference.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
IF I ever did an S280 (or equivalent), and actually did change from the factory down pipe, I would still go with a catcon version of one of the 'higher flow', aftermarket variety.
A couple of 'bragging rights' ponies, WAY UP TOP in the power curve is just NOT worth it to me. [wink]

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I'm curious as well. How much per is restricted by a stock downpipe with the s280?
Stock Downpipe is not a restriction unless one is shooting for over 400hp It has been dyno proven several years back that one could get 380whp on a stock downpipe so the downpipe is not a issue.

Se7eN

I installed an S280 on a buddy's car about 2 weeks ago. This is what I've come to find out about it as it is the first one in the are where I live that's been installed.

The Turbo is TINY, I've installed MRX, GTX2860 and hybrids. It's very much smaller than the real "big turbos". I was really impressed with the build quality and ease of installation as compared to V-band turbos. All in all went in really easy. Set Preload on the Turbosmart WG at 15psi. Car feels really good.

Went to the dyno out of curiosity and made 255whp before the spark plugs started giving issues. The Ambient temp was 100+degrees and Charge temps up there as well. Gonna try to go to the dyno at night I'm sure it has at least 15whp more to go. Also this was a very safe tune due to the current situation with heat in the area. Also has stock crossover pipe still.

Overall very impressed and know that it has a lot more potential than the numbers showed that day.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I installed an S280 on a buddy's car about 2 weeks ago. This is what I've come to find out about it as it is the first one in the are where I live that's been installed.

The Turbo is TINY, I've installed MRX, GTX2860 and hybrids. It's very much smaller than the real "big turbos". I was really impressed with the build quality and ease of installation as compared to V-band turbos. All in all went in really easy. Set Preload on the Turbosmart WG at 15psi. Car feels really good.

Went to the dyno out of curiosity and made 255whp before the spark plugs started giving issues. The Ambient temp was 100+degrees and Charge temps up there as well. Gonna try to go to the dyno at night I'm sure it has at least 15whp more to go. Also this was a very safe tune due to the current situation with heat in the area. Also has stock crossover pipe still.

Overall very impressed and know that it has a lot more potential than the numbers showed that day.
Tiny? It's nearly identical to a GTX2860 (I posted a photo of them side by side earlier in this thread). I mean the GTX/S280 are small compared to other cars, but for a 1.6L engine it's pretty big physically. Are you sure you installed an S280? lol

Se7eN

Tiny? It's nearly identical to a GTX2860 (I posted a photo of them side by side earlier in this thread). I mean the GTX/S280 are small compared to other cars, but for a 1.6L engine it's pretty big physically. Are you sure you installed an S280? lol
My turbo housing is a bit bigger than Garret 2860. I've had to move the engine forward to get the turbo in. No Such issue with the S280 and actually dropped it in manifold attached.

Se7eN

Did you have to shave the engine block at all to get it to fit?
No, the newer batch of S280 comes pre-shaved in the housing so that it fits perfectly. This actually something that my buddy asked Ron before installing because he had the same concern.