Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Turbo Technics S280

just ordered my s280 and all the supporting mods, im also getting tuned by dizzy as ive had 2 previous tunes and was more than satisfied and heard hes pretty good with the s280, im hoping it wont be too much of a pain for install.
would you guys who have replaced your turbo for a s280 say it was simple to install?
should i drop the subframe or can i remove it from the top?
should i remove the manifold with the turbo or just the turbo?
any pointers or tips that you guys did or advice on problems you ran into that could be avoided now that you know after install?
all advice and tips are greatly appreciated.
have a great one!
It's a simple install as long as you have some mechanical skills.

Get the heat shields and hard coolant lines out of the way first and soak your O2 sensors with penetrating oil well in advance if you are doing the down pipe.

I removed the turbo with the exhaust manifold from the top, but I was also replacing the exhaust manifold with the Whoosh manifold. It might be easier that way anyway.

Make 100% sure the turbo isn't touching the engine block. I pre installed my turbo to the manifold, and I had to grind quite a bit to get 1/32" clearance hand fit, which was 1/64" after torquing the manifold to the block. It can't touch or you may end up with an exhaust manifold leak, or stressing the turbo.

Before you torque the manifold make sure your upper oil line will start or at least aligned, you can pinch it and bugger up the seal if you aren't careful.

Take your time and make sure the hoses are properly positioned before you start tightening the clamps and make sure the clamps are installed so you can tighten them if you have a leak. You don't want to have to uninstall the turbo just because you can't tightent a leaking clamp.

Make sure the crossover pipe lines up to the intake hose before you clamp up.

Enjoy your new S280 turbo....it's an amazing improvement IMO and Jason @ Dizzy is a great tuner!

PhoenixM3

Yep, recommend not even bothering to test fit the turbo without removing a good chunk of material from the block. On my turbo, the casing had a machined section which appeared like it would line up with the area on the block where contact occurs. It doesn't. Working from above, I was able to install the entire turbo/manifold assembly and get one exhaust manifold nut started, and then ensured both oil feed and drains were installed.

If you do a test fit, take @ywgbandit's advice and lay eyes on all hose clamps to ensure they're oriented so you can reach them from either below or above. You may want to place the manifold heat shield in place to see if that interferes with access.

PhoenixM3

Took me 30 seconds with a dremel with the proper tip

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Yeah, I had a porcelain tile bit, so it was slow going.
Took me 30 seconds with a dremel with the proper tip [emoji2369]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
.....and took me 10 seconds with a saws all.....

i was aswell, but after a lot of research i found the s280 a great choice because you get about the same power out of both and if you want more power, the s280 can supply it, also the whoosh dies off on the dyno torwards top end, as to the s280 which keeps pulling. i say if your looking for a zippy around town feel with a lot of torque go whoosh hybrid, but if you want something with not as crazy toque spike but pulls hard as hell and spools only like 300-500 rpm slower than a hybrid, i say go with the s280. but its all based on what you want out of the car.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
i was aswell, but after a lot of research i found the s280 a great choice because you get about the same power out of both and if you want more power, the s280 can supply it, also the whoosh dies off on the dyno torwards top end, as to the s280 which keeps pulling. i say if your looking for a zippy around town feel with a lot of torque go whoosh hybrid, but if you want something with not as crazy toque spike but pulls hard as hell and spools only like 300-500 rpm slower than a hybrid, i say go with the s280. but its all based on what you want out of the car.
I'd say if you spend a lot of time on twisty roads stick with the hybrid. If you spend more time on open highways and can wring out the gears go with the S280.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I really drive the car back and forth to work and take back roads to get there...with that being said y'all think I should go with the trac spec turbo from Ron? I will deff be adding aux fuel also so I don't have to worry about ever running out of full.

Se7eN

Ok, seeing 28psi of boost which is fine if I want to window my engine block, and I don’t of course. Tuner thinks I have a couple of vacuum hoses swapped, so ill play with that possibility in the morning.
whats your pre-load set at? also might be that you don't have the waste gate properly connected

Don't they both max out about the same with stock fuel (gasoline)? Didn't I read somewhere that unless you're going with aux fuel or ethanol blends the Whoosh would provide about the same power up top with more under the curve? S280 should generate less heat with hard usage too.

I'm undecided between the two as well.

Se7eN

Don't they both max out about the same with stock fuel (gasoline)? Didn't I read somewhere that unless you're going with aux fuel or ethanol blends the Whoosh would provide about the same power up top with more under the curve? S280 should generate less heat with hard usage too.

I'm undecided between the two as well.
I would say the S280 will give you a little bit more whp on stock fuel, maybe 10whp? spool wise they are very close