Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Used FiST prices are way up

These cars have a lot going for them currentely- great mileage, high fun factor, five door, discontinued. Before you high five yourself for taking Carvana's money realize this chip shortage won't be resolved until at least Dec. By summers end dealer lot's will be barren, and hopefully you won't actually be needing to replace it before then as you will be giving that fat profit right back as there will be no free lunches on that end either..

Speaking of flipping cars...I've bought and sold 4 cars in the last year and made $$$....I have an opportunity once again, these just seem to fall in my lap, tell me if you guys think it's worth it.

2013 Accord LX base model with leather and 6-speed manual and no other options. Silver, 4-door, southern car, 157k, one owner, has a few scrapes on the bumpers that would need to be re-painted to look right, but not horrible, and overall very clean and no issues. I can get it for $6600. Thinking of flipping it and making maybe $1000 quick.

I don't want to buy it and be stuck with it, but with the market the way it is I feel I can't lose.

Selling a 6-speed manual is the catch. They are so rare, maybe too much so. It's a lovely car, very nice in fact. The 6-speed and 4 cyl engine are a superb match. Very fun to drive even if just a stripper Accord.
I mean if you can find the right buyer, sure. Finding the right buyer will be an issue. Since it’s not a real enthusiast’s vehicle, the manual transition will be a turn off for most people looking for a car like that. If you can find the odd Honda guy who would forgo the sweet V6 those accords came with, maybe, personally I think that’s too big of a gamble for my taste and you’d potentially be looking at a slimmer profit margin than you imagine. That said the entire used market is nuts right now, so maybe there’s opportunities for even wider margins if you found the right buyer.

Overall I think the fact that it’s a non-enthusiast car with the base engine would prevent it from being an easy car to sell for profit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #83
I mean if you can find the right buyer, sure. Finding the right buyer will be an issue. Since it’s not a real enthusiast’s vehicle, the manual transition will be a turn off for most people looking for a car like that. If you can find the odd Honda guy who would forgo the sweet V6 those accords came with, maybe, personally I think that’s too big of a gamble for my taste and you’d potentially be looking at a slimmer profit margin than you imagine. That said the entire used market is nuts right now, so maybe there’s opportunities for even wider margins if you found the right buyer.

Yeah you're exactly right. An old Honda guy bought it new, drove it, and is passing it on. I'd love to own it but I don't need it. Could sit a long time for sale. It's sad because it's such a great car. Even a base motor Honda Accord LX has an incredible clutch/transmission/motor combo.

Mikey456

Maybe you can find a buyer at a Japanese car show. Those folks may appreciate the more unique variations of the car.

Overall I think the fact that it’s a non-enthusiast car with the base engine would prevent it from being an easy car to sell for profit.

You said it way better than me, but I have the same thoughts on this.

Man, this is insane. A 2017 FiST with just under 20k miles and without recaros just sold on Carvana for almost $22k. I could sell my '19 and make like a $4k profit. As much as I love my FiST, that's almost worth doing.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I could sell my 2016 with 72k miles today for the same price I bought it for brand new. Ludicrous. Doesn’t make sense to sell it and buy another used car though. Sell it and buy a new car, that might make financial sense.

i have a 2019 with 25k miles on it. i love this car but when I bought it i had a lot of negative equity from a previous car. it was a VW CC that was just horrible when it came to reliability. my payment are pretty high for this car. do you guys think it would be a good idea to convert back to stock. sell my car and get a cheaper one? i seen one 2017 with 30k miles for $17.5k. just something i have been thinking about to save me some money.
[thankyou]

Dpro

6000 Post Club
i have a 2019 with 25k miles on it. i love this car but when I bought it i had a lot of negative equity from a previous car. it was a VW CC that was just horrible when it came to reliability. my payment are pretty high for this car. do you guys think it would be a good idea to convert back to stock. sell my car and get a cheaper one? i seen one 2017 with 30k miles for $17.5k. just something i have been thinking about to save me some money.
[thankyou]
I am not sure I would gamble on that. By the time you got that all sorted that other car might not be available anymore.

[thankyou]
I'm not sure you'd do much more than beak even on that but I don't know the exact numbers you are working with. I doubt with similar miles there would be a lot of difference in price between a '17 and '19 and the cost of swapping out (taxes, sale price vs buy price), and hassle. Sounds like a no win proposition. Now, if you were to sell your '19 and look for something much less expensive that you can own outright, that might be different.

Last edited:
I am not sure I would gamble on that. By the time you got that all sorted that other car might not be available anymore.
I'm not sure you'd do much more than beak even on that but I don't know the exact numbers you are working with. I doubt with similar miles there wouldn't be a lot of difference in price between a '17 and '19 and the cost of swapping out (taxes, sale price vs buy price), and hassle. Sounds like a no win proposition. Now, if you were to sell your '19 and look for something much less expensive that you can own outright, that might be different.
thanks for the response guys. you are probably right. I'll just keep modifying and enjoying it [wrenchin] [rockon]

Man, I wish I could go back in time and snatch up about 5 of these things 2 years ago for $17k new each and could sell them new today for like $24k. I could sell 4 and essentially keep the 5th for free.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Last edited: