Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Weird sound of rushing air/screeching under acceleration?

If I'm over third gear and giving it throttle it sounds like air is either rushing in or rushing out of some place it's not supposed to. I took the bumper off and clamped the intercooler charge pipes tight as they were a tad loose but it's still persisting. It just started happening in the past week so it's definitely not a normal sound. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can check?

OP
C
Thread Starter #3
Bov. Or sound symposer leaking.
Does a leaking sound symposer cause the audible airy noise and is the only fix a delete kit? Anddd would the BOV still sound like it always has when it releases the pressure if it was leaking?

green_henry

1000 Post Club
When you say it's occurring "over third gear", I interpret that as meaning it's speed-related rather than RPM-related. Is that correct? If so, I'd start looking for a loose body part or loose weatherstripping. E.g., are any of the bumper or liner fasteners popped or missing?

OP
C
Thread Starter #5
When you say it's occurring "over third gear", I interpret that as meaning it's speed-related rather than RPM-related. Is that correct? If so, I'd start looking for a loose body part or loose weatherstripping. E.g., are any of the bumper or liner fasteners popped or missing?
It's hard to explain and I've tried to record it but you can't make it out. It's not a speed thing because it only happens when I hit the accelerator, just coasting along doesn't cause the noise. It's definitely coming from somewhere in the engine bay and you can't hear it in neutral while revving.

OP
C
Thread Starter #7
Any mods on the car? Ive had a few sets of aftermarket wheels actually whistle in a crosswind.
The car is completely stock, also forgot to mention it definitely feels like it's lost some of it's power while in boost. I'm going to put it back on ramps in the AM and double check the turbo piping to completely rule it out.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Im gonna put my chips on the symposer taking a dump on you causing a boost leak. Iirc you can make a plug super cheap with plumbing stuff.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Inlet on the symposer ( to the rubber tube connecting it to the piping) is 1 3/8" according to my tape measure. I think a few folks here have done diy symposer deletes using hardware store stuff.

OP
C
Thread Starter #12
Inlet on the symposer ( to the rubber tube connecting it to the piping) is 1 3/8" according to my tape measure. I think a few folks here have done diy symposer deletes using hardware store stuff.
I'll just order the kit for a few bucks, we'll see if that does the trick.

OP
C
Thread Starter #15
I'd go through all the turbo piping clamps if you havent done so already. Make sure they are all snug.
Yeah I had the intercooler cold side pop off a couple times but I've T-Bolt clamped it tight. Fixing that could of caused other piping to pop off, I'll go back through that too.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/intake-noise.17092/post-310311
Just plug it and go for a quick drive.
No risks, no problems.

Since you haven't changed vehicle programming or hung any parts, I doubt it's the symPOSER though. (run-on sentence warning) But at least it can be quickly/easily/cheaply eliminated while still keeping it stock and not having any parts to store away to later have to remember what you did with; and figure out how to put back on.

Weird sound of rushing air/screeching under acceleration?
Dude, that's your passenger. :eek: Ease up on that pedal. ;)

Speaking of which, does it only occur under engine load? With a stick shift, you can run higher RPMs with little load, or lower RPMs at high load, or any combination of such to help narrow the conditions that reproduce the sound.

OP
C
Thread Starter #17
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/intake-noise.17092/post-310311
Just plug it and go for a quick drive.
No risks, no problems.

Since you haven't changed vehicle programming or hung any parts, I doubt it's the symPOSER though. (run-on sentence warning) But at least it can be quickly/easily/cheaply eliminated while still keeping it stock and not having any parts to store away to later have to remember what you did with; and figure out how to put back on.

Dude, that's your passenger. :eek: Ease up on that pedal. ;)

Speaking of which, does it only occur under engine load? With a stick shift, you can run higher RPMs with little load, or lower RPMs at high load, or any combination of such to help narrow the conditions that reproduce the sound.
Yeah it occurs at about 2,300 and up and it's really noticeable with the windows down, and it sounds like it's coming from somewhere under the hood. It definitely would of been the passenger if I had one, I converted a SHO driver to the ST before the issue arose.

OP
C
Thread Starter #18
Yeah it occurs at about 2,300 and up while I'm on the throttle and it's really noticeable with the windows down, and it sounds like it's coming from somewhere under the hood. It definitely would of been the passenger if I had one, I converted a SHO driver to the ST before the issue arose.

Nilxo12

If I'm over third gear and giving it throttle it sounds like air is either rushing in or rushing out of some place it's not supposed to. I took the bumper off and clamped the intercooler charge pipes tight as they were a tad loose but it's still persisting. It just started happening in the past week so it's definitely not a normal sound. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can check?
Almost sound like your experiencing same issue as me specially on 3rd gear. sounds like a fan hitting something around 2-3k then disappears and comes back on 4/5/6 gear..
did you manage to find a fix?