Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Weird turbo noise after BOV mod

Hello follow fiesta owners, I'm a new owner of FiST back in Nov, and I love every second of driving it. I installed Injen CAI shortly after the purchase and sounded great. I have no other mods or tune.

And yesterday I received a boomba BOV adapter and had a local shop installed it. It made "whoosh" sound even when accelerating (sounds like boost leak), so I asked them to put BOV/BPV back to stock.

After they put everything back, my car started to make a weird noise. Instead of the intake noise, it started to make high-pitched, turbo spooling noise. Kinda reminds me of HKS T51R turbine.

Do you happen to have any idea of what they did wrong? Only thing they touched was the BPV.. so either wiring or bolts?

Thank you,

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Can you get under the car to make sure all the lines from the boost controller module are connected?

OP
J
Thread Starter #3
I will try to do that after work today... Thanks. I'm just wondering because it's not throwing CEL.

DHM1

1000 Post Club
I will try to do that after work today... Thanks. I'm just wondering because it's not throwing CEL.
Sadly I have unplugged mine a few days ago and no code. I put a VTA BOV on. As for the noise the stock BOV opens during some weird times compared to a normal BOV. Did it leak/make noise at WOT.

Russ

I would take it apart to check that the o-ring did not fall out or got deformed during install. Unfortunately that means getting under the car again. The high pitch noise sounds like the air escaping between the two mating surfaces.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
After some long hours swapping the turbo out my first I forgot to plug in my boost controller. There's a definite turkey gobble when you're on wastegate only lol. Anyway, crankin has a good point. Also, if for some reason a hose is loose or disconnected it will give you these symptoms as well. My original clamp wasn't tight enough on my new wastegate and it sounded like what you're describing.

OP
J
Thread Starter #7
I haven't been able to take a look yet, but I'll definitely check O rings and cables.

Thanks!

OP
J
Thread Starter #9
https://vimeo.com/117559061

Is this, by chance, the sound you get? Forgot I had made this video.
No not really.. sounds more high pitched like this video
http://youtu.be/1OhncXvPxnU

So I got under the car and took a look but everything looked good. I didn't take apart to check the O rings yet, so that must be it..

I noticed the huge loss of power and torque, as if there is no turbocharger.

Perfblue15

1000 Post Club
No not really.. sounds more high pitched like this video
http://youtu.be/1OhncXvPxnU

So I got under the car and took a look but everything looked good. I didn't take apart to check the O rings yet, so that must be it..

I noticed the huge loss of power and torque, as if there is no turbocharger.
Sounds like you have a boost leak somewhere.

Not to try and revive an old thread but did you ever find out anything with this? I'm having this same issue lately. Ive had a boomba BOV adapter installed for about 6 months but over the last month. I've noticed when in 4th gear or higher at wide open throttle the turbo spool noise changes. Usually around 3.5 to 4k RPM. Like a very high pitched whistle but very noticeable. I've been under the car and tightened all boost hoses. I'm suspecting the stock BOV may be leaking under pressure? any thoughts?

OP
J
Thread Starter #12
Mine had a boost leak on any gears at any RPM.. I put everything back to stock and took it to a local dealership. They took a look at it, checked the boost PSI and it was slightly lower than it should be. They ended up replacing the whole turbo. Nothing weird since then...