Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What did you do to your Fiesta ST today ?

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Dave do you mind doing a how-to if you have the chance? Or know of one off hand? Thanks!
I never thought to do a "How To" on this project so I didn't take photos along the way.

I used the M7 catch can because I bought it for a previous car and never used it.
I chose to place it in the rear corner, right side, of the engine bay because it fit and provided the shortest hose distance.
I ordered an additional OE PCV hose because I wanted it to look as close to OE as possible and it was only $12.00.
Cutting the original hose and adding pieces of the second one I was able to route the hose as shown above.

Dave

I thought about painting the stock wheels black but the cost to do that would've been just as much as the rims I bought. It does look good.

CanadianST

Installed my new intercooler and it is massive! Had to lose the lower black plastic thing (very technical I know) and trim the bottom of the bumper to make it fit but it's totally worth it.

OP
MKVIIST

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Thread Starter #266
Very nice!

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
so as far as doing something to the look of the car goes, i find it beneficial to first try it out on Forza 5. so i had an idea, i liked it and now its done.

Red mirror.jpg

Red mirror 2.jpg

Plasti-Dip

hope you all like it!

Installed my new intercooler and it is massive! Had to lose the lower black plastic thing (very technical I know) and trim the bottom of the bumper to make it fit but it's totally worth it.
Any chance you have dyno numbers before you installed it? I'm curious to see how much power an updated intercooler makes. Any chance you have measurements of both the stock and aftermarket intercooler to give us an idea on the change?

so as far as doing something to the look of the car goes, i find it beneficial to first try it out on Forza 5. so i had an idea, i liked it and now its done.

Plasti-Dip

hope you all like it!
How long did it take you?

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
with taping the car, 2.5 hr total im guessing. plus 4-5 hour cure time, but good to go 30 min after last coat. nowit will sit and cure tonight.

Not sure yet waiting on a remap of my Tune before i give it all out.. BUt I am surprised the odor I was worried about isn't all that bad for a non cat car..
That's good to hear, I was kind of thinking it wouldn't be that bad without the cat because these of all the new technology that goes into these motors they run really efficient. Enjoy your added tq and let us know what you think after you get a feel for the new setup

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
I never thought to do a "How To" on this project so I didn't take photos along the way.

I used the M7 catch can because I bought it for a previous car and never used it.
I chose to place it in the rear corner, right side, of the engine bay because it fit and provided the shortest hose distance.
I ordered an additional OE PCV hose because I wanted it to look as close to OE as possible and it was only $12.00.
Cutting the original hose and adding pieces of the second one I was able to route the hose as shown above.

Dave
Hey Dave, do you happen to have the P/N for the OEM PCV hose. How did you attach these hoses to the can?

CanadianST

Any chance you have dyno numbers before you installed it? I'm curious to see how much power an updated intercooler makes. Any chance you have measurements of both the stock and aftermarket intercooler to give us an idea on the change?
Sorry don't have a dyno anywhere near here, not expecting a huge bump without a stage 2 tune and even then I'm not expecting too much. I imagine it'll come into play once more mods are done especially a bigger turbo.

The measurment of the core is:

Stock - (L/W/H) 27 x 1 7/8 x 5
GodSpeed - 24 x 3 x 7.

The godspeed isn't as long but the pipes out of the end tanks are not near as restrictive as the stock unit.

Here's a side by side

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Hey Dave, do you happen to have the P/N for the OEM PCV hose. How did you attach these hoses to the can?
The part number for the PCV hose is BM5Z6A664H, From Tasca $17.89 (sorry a little more than I said above).

The fittings on the Can are nipples so the hose is just slipped over.
I did however put a very short piece of silicone hose inside to make a tight fit.

Dave

For what its' worth, I fitted a larger intercoole 24" x 6.4" x 3", ran it for a while then did a dyno. After fitting the cooler, the car felt dead. Did some logs and found that at higher RPM's the car was boosting 0.3 bar less than with the stock cooler. This is with a stage 2 tune. I took the thing off and went back to stock cooler.

I would only fit a bigger cooler with a turbo upgrade. It's not as if I rag the car all the time, so heat soak is not really and issue, I also dont track the car, where a better cooler will benefit more. I am rather going Water Meth injection with stock cooler.

My 2c.

iso100

1000 Post Club
Great data point, Drifter. I've been wondering about real-world gains from all these people fitting new ICs...

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
When it gets hotter as summer goes along if you want to seriously track the car or make an extended mountain run, etc.....that is where the bigger IC is going to be the most important even on a stock turbo most likely. Testing on a dyno or real world driving in not really hot weather, might give up some power but loose less when it starts to really get hot and you are pushing the car, watch the water and oil temps then as well of course.

The stock turbo is just a bit to small for the engine size and will be straining to make full power meaning more heat generated, adding the bigger IC can make less boost as has been seen on one car so far that I have seen posted, here, just not enough turbo to overcome it.

Upgrading to a bit bigger one and there has to be some reasonable cost ways of doing this will help build a better power band, more HP and less strain on the turbo as well.

I love this little car but Ford did some really odd things, turbo to small, insanely restrictive downpipe, maybe they were concerned with us beating up on the FoST so they throttle the FiST back on purpose, not much else I can think of for doing things this way. It would of cost them practically nothing to have a bit more turbo, a bit better DP and a bit larger matching IC and radiator as well.

One reason I bought the car was the factory turbo but the only thing I am retaining is the manifold when really needed and was ported well by me and the internals of the engine, I am changing just about every other part and not going after nuts power, just a really nice usable power band that can handle the heat on track on hot days, climbing a mountain pass, etc.....then a bit more on top of that.

iso100

1000 Post Club
It's only 1.6l... the turbo is adequately sized for super-quick spooling. If it was bigger we'd have to wait a lot to come on boost and it would feel sluggish down low.

I had a K04 on my 1.8t Passat years ago and it had essentially NOTHING until 3K and then it was full 21psi and wheelspin galore. It was fast but wasn't super fun because of that digital feel of boost delivery.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
In my opinion of course:

Super quick spooling, torque peak is far below optimum and then it runs out of steam at higher RPM, not really a great setup. A slightly bigger turbo would smooth out the torque curve, give a broader power band and more top end. I have sized turbo's on a few custom NA to turbo builds and upgraded turbos on FI cars and had great powerbands that were easier to drive;)

I have also detuned the top end in the name of reliability when I had more than required for the job but would of gone to a smaller turbo if needed.

Go very big, then you get that dreaded lag and bigger overall numbers to brag about but a pain in the arse to live with and sometimes outright dangerous because you cannot get out of the way in an emergency, to much power under limited traction situations, etc......it is all about balance, in all things.

A perfectly sized turbo, properly tuned, would greatly benefit this car enhancing drivability, when done right.

I have built some very fast, fully sorted out, chassis, brakes, suspension tuning, then dial in just the right amount of power and beaten tons of cars with far more power.

250 WHP and ft lbs with a wide powerband is plenty to make this a very very fun car and easy to drive, I want a bit more but also am taking the whole car to a bit higher level than most will do and want around 275 or a bit more of each but too much will degrade the overall balance of the whole package. I will not sacrifice drivability for it.

I want power available all the time, I can live with a very slight amount of lag but not much at all and prefer none when possible, there is plenty of room for a bit more turbo on this car and achieve that.

I just wish somebody would step up to the plate and offer it in a reasonably priced and reliable package.

---------------------

This post is a bit redundant so I will clean it up later, I have to go right now.