Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Which turbo gives best bang for the buck?

Woods247

2000 Post Club
We are now an authorized Mountune dealer. The small bits we had before were purchased through Ford, now we are direct. All of their Fiesta parts will be on the site soon. As of today, we have about a dozen items
Congratulations. That’s awesome! Now I know where I can get a deal on a short block 😉

This might be a dumb question - did you remove the engine, pop the heads, and work with the engine on a stand or were you able to just drop the sump and replace the pistons and rods from the bottom?
Pulled the head off, intake and exhaust manifold, oil pan and the passenger side axle...and was able to get to everything. It was actually not to bad. Though I borrowed an engine hoist, I never used it. To take off the oil pan, I removed the jack stand supporting the engine and had it hang and be supported by the crankshaft and transmission. Saw it in a video and mentioned it to other car people and they said it would be fine and it was.

OP
ywgbandit
Thread Starter #84
if we are really only taking about bang for the buck not ultimate turbo kit for the Fiesta, the Hybrid is tough to beat
$1499 with an option to get $200 back with core return places you at $1299 shipped
Also can't deny the fact that we've pushed our hybrid to well over 300whp/350wtq on the oem fuel system, over 340whp and 350wtq with aux fuel and over 400whp/410wtq with a 35 dry shot of go go juice
In your opinion what is the "ultimate turbo?"

Spork1569

We are now an authorized Mountune dealer. The small bits we had before were purchased through Ford, now we are direct. All of their Fiesta parts will be on the site soon. As of today, we have about a dozen items
Will you have things in stock even if Mountune themselves doesn't?

Such as the radiator everyone wants at this hot time of year.[rofl][biggrin]

Stock bottom end I would say either the GTX2860 or the S280. I believe once data gets out there the S280 will be the new go to turbo. For bottom less pockets, with a built engine..its the G25-550 all dayyyy

Stock bottom end I would say either the GTX2860 or the S280. I believe once data gets out there the S280 will be the new go to turbo. For bottom less pockets, with a built engine..its the G25-550 all dayyyy
Well I have both. Where is Swampgas?

I understand the appeal of big horsepower and I want it. Believe me that my setup with aux fuel with E50 is very fast with no lag. I am not sure if I want to give that up to have horsepower out of the useful range. I have the ability to be King of the Tail and still have highway power. This is something to think about. The S280 is is a nice setup but thrust and journal bearings are not cartridge ball bearings. This is also something to think about

OP
ywgbandit
Thread Starter #94
Dealing with Puma was a freckling nightmare, I had so many delays with them and they were very hard to contact and were verrrrryyy slow to return my calls. It took more than 3 months to get part of my order and then another 2 weeks to get the rest of it from them. Not to mention the bad rep that I see from people that live in Europe that still post about having problems with the shop when they go it. Puma is not a company I will ever deal with again and I recommend you don’t either.
When I hear something like that I tend to avoid the product. OK, what would your choice be between the Whoosh Hybrid and the Turbo Technics S280?

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
In your opinion what is the "ultimate turbo?"
ultimate turbo "kit" is the Peron 2860R
no other like it
all 2860R kits are not created equal which is why a lot of the
2860R conversations are only really talking about the ATP kit because it's the cheapest.
Bang for buck, there is nothing that compares to our hybrid at $1299 (after 200 credit for core turn in)
Next would be the S280, again bang for your buck

Quisp

1000 Post Club
High psi with stock manifold equals exhaust gas reversion which equals melted, cracked pistons or popping the deck. Port matching helps but Ron’s extrude honed manifold is the way to go. If air is going in fast it must have a way to go out fast post combustion or kaboom
Isn't that what split duration cams are for?

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Ouch! Looks like a classic ring failure - the stock ring gaps are tight and when the rings get hot they expand, close the gap, buckle, and pop a chunk out of the piston. Were you able to save the block? Complete short block rebuild?
How does the .0011 clearance aluminium piston not expand faster than a over .010 gap steel ring?

jeff

2000 Post Club
Daniel is well...G25-550 leaves a brand new Vette in the dust in 3rd gear...he’s got an older SHO project and a supercharged Focus project that’s been taking his time...and something else for his Fiesta but it’s hush hush at this point...

Isn't that what split duration cams are for?

Exhaust gasses have to exit unabated with a bigger turbo regardless of what cams are installed. A ported and polished manifold is imo very necessary especially with high psi hybrid applications. Thankfully we’re not married to the block like Foci peeps