Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Woods247 BrokeFiST Build

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #1,722
Ouch. Hopefully the LSD isn't wrecked. Are you going to swap a shorter final drive in?
I hadn’t thought about it but that might not be a bad idea. Shits getting expensive real quick though. Especially if I decide to change from MFactory to Wavetrac.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Nope but I drove it straight into the paddock and onto the trailer because I saw smoke. I crawled under the trailer and that’s what I saw. It is everywhere. Huge mess. I’ll review the video tomorrow to see what I did.
Still goes into gear? No grinding? Issues going into gear Etc. Maybe you just blew an axle seal and got lucky.

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #1,724
Still goes into gear? No grinding? Issues going into gear Etc. Maybe you just blew an axle seal and got lucky.
Yeah it’s seemingly “fine” other than a hole in the case that blew out all the gear oil. The hole is near the ring gear location. We need to take it apart and see what happened. Initially I thought it may be a seal but then we found a hole about the diameter of a regular Sharpie pen. It didn’t make any noise either. No grinding or anything.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Nope but I drove it straight into the paddock and onto the trailer because I saw smoke. I crawled under the trailer and that’s what I saw. It is everywhere. Huge mess. I’ll review the video tomorrow to see what I did.
It definitely had a good run

Fusion Works

Especially if I decide to change from MFactory to Wavetrac.
Don't waste your money. Wavetrac is still a gear type like the Mfactory. If you are going to seriously track the car you want a clutch type.

Based on your description of the trans still functioning, wonder if a ring gear bolt backed out and got jammed between the case and the gear until it punched a hole? Be interesting to see what happened.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
No bueno. Trans popped on track today. Gonna take it apart and see what broke then probably have Clarke build a new one. That seems like the best option right??

View attachment 58999
The Clarke is the best cost vs strength/function choice.

If you never plan to put it on the street ever again (or ever sell it as a 'streetable' ride) there is also the Sadev sequential.

But yeah, at least twice the price of the Clarke with all of the requisite ancillaries, but it does come with a clutch plate type diff already installed.

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #1,728
The Clarke is the best cost vs strength/function choice.

If you never plan to put it on the street ever again (or ever sell it as a 'streetable' ride) there is also the Sadev sequential.

But yeah, at least twice the price of the Clarke with all of the requisite ancillaries, but it does come with a clutch plate type diff already installed.
Does the Sadev require a standalone ECU?

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #1,729
Don't waste your money. Wavetrac is still a gear type like the Mfactory. If you are going to seriously track the car you want a clutch type.

Based on your description of the trans still functioning, wonder if a ring gear bolt backed out and got jammed between the case and the gear until it punched a hole? Be interesting to see what happened.
You did a final drive change right?? I’m thinking about it.

Fusion Works

Yep, I put a 4.06 in my car. I am not sure if the 4.30 is the answer yet. For your 4x4 mudders though it might put the power band back where it needs to be and get you some desperately needed torque off the corner.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Does the Sadev require a standalone ECU?
I am not sure, I will try to find out by looking up the details/specs on the Team O'Neil campaigned, ACP driven (to a National Championship), FiST rally car which had one installed.

The engine was basically stock on that ride, so I doubt it, unless the throttle cut for shifting potentiometer cannot be somehow wired/programmed into our factory ECM. [dunno]

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #1,732
Yeah throttle cut for shifts needs to be triggered by something. I’d love to know how they do it.

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #1,735
Man I miss my car. I’m gonna take the downtime to paint correct and ceramic coat it.

I hope to have a transmission from Pumaspeed soon. It’ll have a new Quaife (or Wavetrac or Gripper) diff, ST200 OEM AP Racing clutch, OEM flywheel, OEM slave and new bearings. I still haven’t decided on the diff. The Wavetrac looks good on paper but I haven’t spoken to anyone with one that actually tracks one and can confirm it’s better than other helical diffs. The Gripper looks awesome but I’m not sure about maintenance cycles yet. Still trying to figure that out. My MFactory is likely fine so I’ll probably just sell it since the new box will have something else pre-installed by Pumaspeed.

Also hoping to get the BridgeMoto passenger seat installed along with the center console if it’ll still fit. I miss the clean front interior. This still isn’t a race car and I have no intention of stripping it.

@Fusion Works found fuses we can unplug to deal with the “false-crash” issues on certain tracks. I miss the clean full front interior. @Fusion Works would you please post a pic of the fuses here? Not having to unplug the RCM will make it a lot easier for everyone who has this problem. Integrating a switch to disable them would be pretty sweet as well. I doubt I’ll have time to figure that out this winter though with everything else going on.

I’m also planning to try the Maxxis RC1 V2 in 235/40/17 next season. I’m tired of the RT660s delaminating and Falken’s lack of response at correcting the problem is irresponsible and flat out dangerous. Their quality control is worse than ever and my last 8 tires had the issue even though I heat cycled them correctly. I’ve seen so many shred this year on multiple platforms. I’m just not wasting anymore cash on them. After contacting Falken support I was told “it’s normal”. I advocated for them for a long time but whatever changed in their manufacturing process over the last year or two has made them dangerous for track use. I suspect organizations that mandate the RT660 will drop them next season. They’re pretty awesome until they come apart after an hour of track time. The Maxxis RC1 should be significantly better and last a lot longer.

Fusion Works

Yeah I will take pics this week when I pull it out of the trailer.

So far two successful events without any stupid emergency related issues.

I am surprised you have issues with your Falkens. I haven't had any issue with two sets of mine.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I am not sure, I will try to find out by looking up the details/specs on the Team O'Neil campaigned, ACP driven (to a National Championship), FiST rally car which had one installed.

The engine was basically stock on that ride, so I doubt it, unless the throttle cut for shifting potentiometer cannot be somehow wired/programmed into our factory ECM. [dunno]
I spoke to Pascal, formerly of Team O'Neil who helped build this car, and he told me that it used a fully factory ECM, just with a tune by Randy when he was still at Mountune.
He told me that Andy Comrie-Picard (the driver) just dipped the throttle at shifts, and never fully flat foot shifted it, since they did not install a stand alone ECU.

(This is also what Sadev USA told me could be done to use their unit without going the full stand alone route as well. But that rep also informed me that the all-in price, but still without their motorsport spec 300M axles is closer to $15K USD [crazyeye], so yeah, going the Pumaspeed, or even the Quaife route if one demands a sequential, is MUCH MORE cost effective!)

Pascal also informed me that they did get a whole National Rally season out of that gearbox before a rebuild, so yes, about nine rallies @ ~ 600 miles each including transits, is right about at the suggested 5K rebuild schedule.

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #1,738
Yeah I will take pics this week when I pull it out of the trailer.

So far two successful events without any stupid emergency related issues.

I am surprised you have issues with your Falkens. I haven't had any issue with two sets of mine.
You need to go faster 😜

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #1,739
I chose the Gripper diff. Should be faster and maintenance isn’t concerning. We’ll see.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Man I miss my car. I’m gonna take the downtime to paint correct and ceramic coat it.

I hope to have a transmission from Pumaspeed soon. It’ll have a new Quaife (or Wavetrac or Gripper) diff, ST200 OEM AP Racing clutch, OEM flywheel, OEM slave and new bearings. I still haven’t decided on the diff. The Wavetrac looks good on paper but I haven’t spoken to anyone with one that actually tracks one and can confirm it’s better than other helical diffs. The Gripper looks awesome but I’m not sure about maintenance cycles yet. Still trying to figure that out. My MFactory is likely fine so I’ll probably just sell it since the new box will have something else pre-installed by Pumaspeed.

Also hoping to get the BridgeMoto passenger seat installed along with the center console if it’ll still fit. I miss the clean front interior. This still isn’t a race car and I have no intention of stripping it.

@Fusion Works found fuses we can unplug to deal with the “false-crash” issues on certain tracks. I miss the clean full front interior. @Fusion Works would you please post a pic of the fuses here? Not having to unplug the RCM will make it a lot easier for everyone who has this problem. Integrating a switch to disable them would be pretty sweet as well. I doubt I’ll have time to figure that out this winter though with everything else going on.

I’m also planning to try the Maxxis RC1 V2 in 235/40/17 next season. I’m tired of the RT660s delaminating and Falken’s lack of response at correcting the problem is irresponsible and flat out dangerous. Their quality control is worse than ever and my last 8 tires had the issue even though I heat cycled them correctly. I’ve seen so many shred this year on multiple platforms. I’m just not wasting anymore cash on them. After contacting Falken support I was told “it’s normal”. I advocated for them for a long time but whatever changed in their manufacturing process over the last year or two has made them dangerous for track use. I suspect organizations that mandate the RT660 will drop them next season. They’re pretty awesome until they come apart after an hour of track time. The Maxxis RC1 should be significantly better and last a lot longer.
Is the ST200 clutch different from regular? AP Racing makes our clutches too.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MKVIIST Fiesta of The Month Winners 5