Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Woods247 BrokeFiST Build

Bull Run

U.S. Army Veteran
The first 250 miles of break in have been flawless. This transmission is outstanding and shifts incredibly smooth even with Gear 300. I felt the Wavetrac kick in up in the mountains. It’s definitely different but only the track can really show potential. The engagement when an inside wheel slips felt abrupt but it could be me being hypersensitive to every feeling right now. I also realized why I hate mountain runs. There’s always a group of 40 hotboy kooks clogging up the road. I even saw two off the side of the mountain. So dumb..
Glad to hear that Clark unit worked out for you. Did you opt for the WPC metal treatment? Which flywheel and clutch are you using with it?

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #1,782
Glad to hear that Clark unit worked out for you. Did you opt for the WPC metal treatment? Which flywheel and clutch are you using with it?
No WPC since I didn’t have the time. I went with a new OEM clutch and flywheel. The old ones were fine so I saw no need to switch to something else.

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #1,783
Ford supplied me with a defective slave. The lip on the plastic shaft cracked off after about 300 miles of easy street driving. What a pain this has been. Also had ANOTHER rear wheel bearing fail during clutch/trans break in (no track). The Wavetrac is definitely promising however. During the time I played with it in the mountains it proved to have an obvious advantage over my old MFactory helical. It’ll be on track at Barber in a couple of weeks where I should really feel it work. I expect everything to go smoothly now. It better anyway.. I’ve ridden a few motos while the car’s been down and my toy priorities are kinda refocusing. Maybe it’s time to get this car fully functional again and let someone else enjoy it. I won’t let it go unless I’m 100% convinced it’s fully sorted and ready to reliably rip again. It’s awesome but I really enjoyed being back on two wheels. Never say never haha! We’ll see what happens.

Last edited:
OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #1,785
I wonder if the aftermarket RTS slave cylinder which Ron sells is any better as far as the strength of that lip goes? [dunno]
Not sure. I went with OEM since I’ve never had any issues. Maybe it was just bad luck.. Ford’s is a really poor cheap plastic design though. It seems most everything made of plastic post 2020 is worse. I didn’t even know Whoosh sold a different one.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for more info about the construction of, and options for, the slave cylinder.
Haven't had any issues, however I drove it for some years, holding the pedal to the floor like I did my prior over its 327k ownership.
So its lifespan may be severely diminished.

Bull Run

U.S. Army Veteran
I wonder if the aftermarket RTS slave cylinder which Ron sells is any better as far as the strength of that lip goes? [dunno]
I heard stories about OEM slave cylinders being bad out of the box so I went with the RTS unit. No issues so far but I don't have much miles on it yet.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I Think the RTS is a SACHS brand* But don't quote me. when i bought my RTS clutch kit i got a sachs Slave with it. I should taken pictures as i cannot find any information on RTS's site.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Ford supplied me with a defective slave. The lip on the plastic shaft cracked off after about 300 miles of easy street driving. What a pain this has been. Also had ANOTHER rear wheel bearing fail during clutch/trans break in (no track). The Wavetrac is definitely promising however. During the time I played with it in the mountains it proved to have an obvious advantage over my old MFactory helical. It’ll be on track at Barber in a couple of weeks where I should really feel it work. I expect everything to go smoothly now. It better anyway.. I’ve ridden a few motos while the car’s been down and my toy priorities are kinda refocusing. Maybe it’s time to get this car fully functional again and let someone else enjoy it. I won’t let it go unless I’m 100% convinced it’s fully sorted and ready to reliably rip again. It’s awesome but I really enjoyed being back on two wheels. Never say never haha! We’ll see what happens.
Keep both, thats what I do lol.

oChicken

U.S. Army Veteran
Looking forward to your wavetrac review. I'm looking at possibly picking one up, and your previous posts praising the mfactory had it at my #1 spot. I'm willing to spend a little extra if it's worth it.

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #1,793
Looking forward to your wavetrac review. I'm looking at possibly picking one up, and your previous posts praising the mfactory had it at my #1 spot. I'm willing to spend a little extra if it's worth it.
I’m on track 4/1 and will post results.

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #1,794
Shook down the car today. The Wavetrac does what’s advertised. Totally hooks up both wheels predictably. I was able to put an hour or so on it today at Barber. The real test will be Road Atlanta in a few weeks but it definitely hooks up better than my old MFactory helical. If you’re gonna track and don’t want a clutch type diff go with the Wavetrac. I ran my street wheels and Federal 595RSR today since they spin a lot easier than my track wheels. I just need to bleed the clutch one more time and change brake pads then it’s good to go. Hopefully for a long time..

F240A64D-6459-44A9-97F5-7882FA80FAC8.jpeg

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #1,796
I have some questions about your fiesta experience. How does this platform compare to other cars on the track? Is it true that consumables are cheaper with light cars? Will you invest in weight reduction I saw a post about a guy that builds his fiesta under a ton?
https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=47&t=1810672
There are a lot of variables and your question is difficult to answer with one opinion. A stock Fiesta ST is more fun than a stock Honda Fit in my opinion. A stock Fiesta ST is inferior to a stock CTR or GTI (in my opinion).

A modded Fiesta ST (Wavetrac LSD, decent coilovers with linear springs, chassis bracing, larger radiator, larger intercooler and hybrid or s280 turbo on e30) is much better on track than the other two vehicles I mentioned.

Regarding consumables, lighter cars are less expensive. I won’t remove any additional weight from my car because I appreciate the comfort of the mostly complete interior. I actually love my sunroof too. Wheels and tires however, must be light to go fast. Wheels are consumables and can be expensive. Tires cost more than anything else.

The Fiesta St is cheap compared most everything including Miata’s and old Civics. Tire size is limited to 215 so almost all of them are inexpensive when compared to any other track car. With the addition of a LSD, brake pads will last significantly longer since TVC won’t be as active. A BBK might not be required if a Wavetrac or clutch diff is installed. Brake pads and fluid still need to be upgraded but that’s the same for just about every car.

In my opinion, the Fiesta ST is the best FWD track platform in the USA but most people lean towards the GTI and CTR for their comfort and status. There’s no track status to be gained with a Fiesta ST. Trust me. My car humiliates egotistical guys regularly. 😂 I think it’s possible to build a Fiesta ST that would break FWD track records because of its agility, ease of rotation and light weight. It just takes money to build proper aero and its supporting mods like, suspension, high HP engines and robust transmissions.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MKVIIST Fiesta of The Month Winners 5