Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2J-Racing Cowl Induction Intake

Trader history for joe@2j-racing (0)

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Has anyone sound deadened and baffled their cowl compartment and measured db before and after????

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
When installing the intake, do you put the 3" silicone hose on the turbo inlet, then the attach the intake to the hose? Or attach the hose to the intake then to the turbo inlet?

When installing the intake, do you put the 3" silicone hose on the turbo inlet, then the attach the intake to the hose? Or attach the hose to the intake then to the turbo inlet?
I attached the silicone hose to the intake and then slide it over the turbo. If I remember correctly, the silicone is a tighter fit on the intake tube than on the turbo, so it seemed easier to put it on the intake first. It does make maneuvering the tube a little awkward, but with a little effort, I got the tube on the turbo.

Also, this may be obvious, but put the filter on last. I had it in position in the cowl, but didn't attach it to the intake until after the intake was attached to the turbo.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
I put the intake on the hose last, worked fine. I had to bend the silicone tube to get the intake to fit

Just need to tighten on the upper clamp. I read about putting on the filter last.

I made a baffle out of aluminum and then covered in it Raammat.

I sealed it to the body with aluminum tape and installed it over the air conditioning vent to reduce the noise.

Just too hot in the garage to finish. Hopefully I can get it done tonight. I still need to fit the intake filter, then the lower cowl, then reinstall the wiring for the HID lights, I also installed the Zeitronix ethanol content analyzer and moved my OCC to where the Air filter box used to be.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
No, The baffle is bent at both sides. One side is taped to the body, the other end is open to allow air to get into the AC vent. The baffle is more open near the wipers to allow lots of air into the AC vent.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
I'm struggling to get the small silicone hose to go over the nipple on the air intake. How is everyone accomplishing this?

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Then I've got to come up with another way to get this done. I'm a lefty, with an artificial right elbow, so no real force can be had from my right arm. I think I'll purchase a 10 or 13 mm silicone vacuum hose, and use an oetiker clamp on the supplied fitting that used to install on the OEM intake. I think the existing hose is about 5 or 6mm. No problem. Thanks for your help. I purchased some PEX brass 90 deg. elbows with barbed fittings for the 3/4" line

Then I've got to come up with another way to get this done. I'm a lefty, with an artificial right elbow, so no real force can be had from my right arm. I think I'll purchase a 10 or 13 mm silicone vacuum hose, and use an oetiker clamp on the supplied fitting that used to install on the OEM intake. I think the existing hose is about 5 or 6mm. No problem. Thanks for your help. I purchased some PEX brass 90 deg. elbows with barbed fittings for the 3/4" line
If you don't mind taking the pipe out and putting it back on again, the easiest way is actually to attach both lines before you put the intake pipe on the car.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
I thought of that, but I really do not want putting a lot of stress on a silicone tube that is in a hot zone of the engine. Strain and heat can result in cracks. I ordered some larger ID silicone tubing. I'd rather spend a couple of bucks for peace of mind. Everything else fit and works fine. I plan on pulling the intake and wrapping it in gold reflector and adding some more insulation to the cowl area.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
I'm in the process of fabricating a baffle to redirect sounds from the 2JR intake that would normally enter the cabin through the AC inlet. I will be done by this weekend and will post my results from my build thread. I got some sound deadening materials from Rick. I will post some photos and a how-to. Here is an initial photo of the baffle before some more cutting was done.

Also want to know this, Do you have any guides on sound deadening Joe?
Plan on installing my intake sometime in July.
I built one up, have not finished it yet. It offered almost no noticeable change but still worth it to have a good mounting location for the filter end of the pipe.
One thing to note is louder on a car with a sunroof as the noise travels up the a-pillar i believe and into the roof. On a car with a sunroof if you slide the cover back you will get a few more decibels than with it shut.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
I ended up having to modify the baffle to get it and the air filter to fit. There is NO room between the AC air inlet and the air filter. I had to remove the bent section on the left end of the baffle, and install the air filter, then slide the baffle in between the air inlet and the 2JR intake. The sound deadening helps, but does not eliminate the noise. Using a 3/8" ID (10mm) hose was perfect. I just added a hose clamp on the engine end. I'll post the photos and my thoughts on my build thread once I get some dB readings from my phone. I'm working on my Zeitronix flex fuel gauge today.

I worked on a baffle, as well and ran into the same thing--it's very tight fit between the intake and the HVAC vent. So, I tried a slightly different approach shown below.

Cardboard template and sheet metal:

Covered in RAAMat and Ensolite:

Installed:

I decided to do some before/after decibel readings. A quick caveat?I used an Android app called Sound Meter Pro. Obviously, a smart phone with an app is not a professional sound level meter, but it seemed to be validated and have decent reviews.

I already had the intake on, so unfortunately I don?t have any stock intake levels. I also had already put RAAMat and Ensolite in the cowl area, so my pre-baffle is 2J intake plus some sound deadening. For reference, I am completely stock other than the intake and a tune.

I?m presenting average and max, and average decibel readings for baffle vs. no baffle in four scenarios: at idle, accelerating at half throttle from a dead stop, WOT from 40 MPH in 4th gear, and half throttle in 6th gear from 60 MPH. I think that should give a good range of readings.

Overall, not a huge effect. It does sound/feel a bit quieter, but not a ton.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Thats the same app I'll be using. I was able to slide my baffle between the AC inlet and the Filter/2JR intake after I installed the air filter. This prevents direct sound from going into the AC inlet.The inlet is not blocked, but difverted so as to enter near the center of the cowl. I'll post my results as soon as I finish up my Zeitronix flex fuel gauge install.

Where did yo place your sound meter?

Nice. I had mine in my cell phone mount, which is just to the left of the steering wheel. I considered leaving it in the center console to be more centralized, but you really need it in a mount to keep it from rattling around and throwing off the meter.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
I love the sound I'm hearing with the 2JR intake. I can hear the BOV. Sounds great. I took the FiST for a little ride. I had my phone in the center console. Average sound was 50 dB with a high of 70 dB It looks like the baffle is working to prevent most of the sound from coming in, even with the air conditioning on.