Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Anyone still tuning Fiestas with SCT? 8/17/16

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Seems like most tuners have gone with AP and don't use SCT anymore... who still tunes with SCT?

TUX15ST

Now i could wrong because im new to all of this but i thought that unleashed and freektune both still use sct for these cars

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
Just out of curiosity. Why in the world would anyone want to get tuned with the SCT when it's woefully inadequate compared to the Cobb Accessport. I don't see any advantage or reason to go with it. You are limited in your choice of tuner and also ultimately in mod upgradeability. No big turbo option for our cars. I just don't get it.

Just out of curiosity. Why in the world would anyone want to get tuned with the SCT when it's woefully inadequate compared to the Cobb Accessport. I don't see any advantage or reason to go with it. You are limited in your choice of tuner and also ultimately in mod upgradeability. No big turbo option for our cars. I just don't get it.
Is this true with sct fost tunes as well? Why is it so much worse than the Cobb?

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
Is this true with sct fost tunes as well? Why is it so much worse than the Cobb?
On the FoST there is more support with the SCT than the Fiesta. You can get a big turbo tuned for example on unleashed tuning's website, but not for the fiesta. It's just hardly anyone uses it, and the accessport does more for the money, so why go SCT?

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
If you already have one, I guess to save money, it makes sense. If you plan on doing very little to the car, then fine, but the accessport gives you the flexibility to do what you want. Run different types of fuel, big turbo, Meth. Good luck doing that with SCT.

TUX15ST

I plan on going with sct strictly because its cheaper and i have no big plans for my car just intercooler and tune really. I can get a used unmarried x4 for about $200 and a freektune ots+ for $75 vs a cobb ap3 and ots+ would cost me atleast $450, i dont think the almost $200 difference between tuners would have any noticeable affect for me so why waste the money. I had an ap3 on my fost and never used any of its features beyond loading the tune so whats the point

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
I plan on going with sct strictly because its cheaper and i have no big plans for my car just intercooler and tune really. I can get a used unmarried x4 for about $200 and a freektune ots+ for $75 vs a cobb ap3 and ots+ would cost me atleast $450, i dont think the almost $200 difference between tuners would have any noticeable affect for me so why waste the money. I had an ap3 on my fost and never used any of its features beyond loading the tune so whats the point
Hey I'm not trying to sell you an AP. For your particular ambitions, I guess an SCT serves the purpose. Just saying that if you have flexibility and mods in mind, AP is a better value and way to go. If you're just going to do basic bolt ons and staying with regular gas, then it would be fine. I'd be curious to see all things being equal, which tuning device would give you best results. There's a reason the Accessport is way more popular than the SCT especially considering that the SCT is cheaper. Good luck with your tune, and let us know how it goes. Since you stated you don't use any of the features on your previous AP, I guess you won't be using vdyno to get a read on how much power you're putting out versus stock. I'd love to see the difference not only in power, but power delivery etc.

TUX15ST

Yeah i hear you but i never even used the v dyno on my fost so i doubt i would care to use it on the fist, and as far the actual tune, i cant see the device affecting effectiveness of the tune, and a guy like freektune offers both sct and cobb tunes for the same platform so maybe he would be the guy to ask.

I'm trying to decide on this now myself as well. I will NOT be doing meth, e85, big turbo, etc. I'll just be loading an intake/exhaust/93 octane stage 1 type of tune on the car then removing the device. Does the AP have anything to offer me over the SCT for something like that? Does one of the devices act as a code reader better than the other, etc.?

I bought an nGauge tuner for my '15 Mustang over the SCT, pad a premium for it as well, and in the end the SCT would have worked fine and I could be using it for the Fiesta ST I just bought. The nGauge is not usable on my car because the tuner I bought it from doesn't do FiST's. I have a $550 paperweight in my office lol.

TUX15ST

Coding reading will be the same, the biggest difference is the data logging ability, the ap3 is worlds better than the sct unit however if your not going to be doing that very often then who cares is how i look at it

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
To each his own. One thing I've learned over time is do it right the first time and you won't be spending more money down the road should your goals change. Also, you are locking yourself into a small area by going SCT. Only a few people use it. Everyone uses the Accessport, so access to more tuners. Not all tuners and their tunes are created equal. Also if you decide to sell, there is a huge market for Accessports, SCT not nearly. Why do you think Tux can get one for $200. Good luck finding a used Accessport for that little coin. A forum member just recently sold his for $395 which is pretty good. Like I said, if I would've known I would end up going with a turbo upgrade, I would've gone with the DHM Race Intercooler instead of the Cobb unit. The Cobb is great, but for the increased boost I plan on running with E85 & Meth, the cooling capabilities of the DHM are just untouchable. So now I'm going to buy another intercooler after I spent $600 on my Cobb. Same principle with the Accessport. I understand the great deal at $200 and only doing an intercooler and a tune, but a lot of people start off with modest goals and then.....

TUX15ST

In fairness I have a side business buying and selling SCT tuners so I get very good deals on them, so $200 for an X4 is not super common although you find them every once in awhile but i can always resell them for around $300 (to the mustang and truck crowd mostly, Focus/Fiesta guys dont usually go for them because they less common as we know) which is more common. But if you're going cobb you're better off buying a new one for $500 that comes with OTS+ or custom tunes, used ones are a waste money because the Cobb OTS maps are garbage IMO and all the E tuners charge at least $100 for tunes anyway

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
So now we see why you're going with SCT. You have access to them hence the cheap price. If we're discussing price as a reason to purchase then why not purchase a used Accessport over a new one. I bought mine new and I have lifetime tunes with Adam of Tune+. I've already had 5 different tunes for different variations in my set up and I paid $250. Big turbo? No problem. E-85? Covered. It works for my situation. Hope you like your SCT tunes. Be sure to post your impressions.

TUX15ST

Exactly! I can basically do what im looking to do for around $600 total performance mod wise, intercooler (depo or mtc), tune (sct), drop in green filter and that should be end of my performance modding

Waterfan

Does the AP have anything to offer me over the SCT for something like that? Does one of the devices act as a code reader better than the other, etc.?
Just for the record, the AP can read and reset codes.

The reason I will most likely go with SCT is Torrie. I got to know him online and everyone raves about his tunes/customer service. I'm actually wanting the basics, little non peak hp, full boost in early gears. If down the line I want a big turbo I'll get it done with a custom tune from a chassis dyno and ecu. What ecu does the fiesta St use, is it Siemens?