Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Anyone used an internally valved (pressure or electronic) muffler?

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Just wondering, as one of the exhaust shops near me does exhaust for audis and bmw's and myriad other exotics, and they've got some internally valved options that go from quiet to fun either based on pressure or based on a button press.

I'd like to get exhaust done, but I want to avoid drone on long trips and where I work they'll ticket you for *any* noise from an aftermarket exhaust.

also, off-topic, I recently saw a prius with a fart can and TRD/various racing product stickers all over it. It was hilarious to hear it start/stop the engine while accelerating, and the driver knew full well how ridiculous his car was lol

Just wondering, as one of the exhaust shops near me does exhaust for audis and bmw's and myriad other exotics, and they've got some internally valved options that go from quiet to fun either based on pressure or based on a button press.

I'd like to get exhaust done, but I want to avoid drone on long trips and where I work they'll ticket you for *any* noise from an aftermarket exhaust.

also, off-topic, I recently saw a prius with a fart can and TRD/various racing product stickers all over it. It was hilarious to hear it start/stop the engine while accelerating, and the driver knew full well how ridiculous his car was lol
I would love one of these as well. I live next to a police dept and I'm always paranoid about getting ticketed. I was looking at something like this when I had my subaru.

http://xforceusa.com/xforce-product...al-varex-muffler/productnr-VMK7-250/cid-/vid-

As far as that prius, I don't know why that makes me so happy envisioning that. The fact that the driver knew how ridiculous that is makes it so good!

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
Well I took off work tomorrow (hit my vacation hours cap wooo have to burn some off) so I'll go by and chat with them. I don't plan on going big turbo, so I was thinking 2.5" all the way back, with a resonator up front and a muffler in the rear. I wanted the car to sound like my abarth, but so much of the abarth sound was tuning and the multiair valvetrain that it's hard to emulate, especially without drone. As loud as Abarths are externally, there's zero drone on the freeway.

Yes, in my group of friends we have used about 10 Varex mufflers, and about 3 or 4 boost or vaccum accumulated cutouts. The all work well and are generally reliable.

I run a Pro Tuning Lab electronic exhaust dump. its pretty good for the money but can be finickey.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
I run a Pro Tuning Lab electronic exhaust dump. its pretty good for the money but can be finickey.
Can't do that, I'm in the Democratic Peoples Replic of Kalifornistan, a dump = a huge ticket. Been there, got the EPA citation, never again.

Can't do that, I'm in the Democratic Peoples Replic of Kalifornistan, a dump = a huge ticket. Been there, got the EPA citation, never again.
Just get a Varex.

Be advised the suitcase style is quieter than the canister style. they are quite a good muffler actually even when "open"

We have had them on cars up to 1150whp (single muffler)

Intuit

3000 Post Club
So, what do they do for stock motorcycles? They're VERY loud... easily heard BLOCKS away under normal acceleration.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
So, what do they do for stock motorcycles? They're VERY loud... easily heard BLOCKS away under normal acceleration.
All stock motorcycles have an EPA verification sticker showing compliance to noise standards .

Im currently running a boost actuated cutout right after the downpipe to catback flange. Directly attached to the intake manifold it opens at 6 psi. You can put a manual boost controller in line with it to make it open at a higher boost level.

It's not as loud as you would think but it sounds like crap and vibrates the whole cabin. I can't see any performance gains. I really only did it to test the reliability of the valve itself as we use them on a few of our exhaust products like the fusion catback. It ends up being pretty baddass as the car is almost stock quiet at idle and cruising (still with a more aggressive note), and really opens up when you get on it. But on my fiesta its just loud->stupid loud.

I disconnected the vac line about a year ago and havent put it back since.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #13
Im currently running a boost actuated cutout right after the downpipe to catback flange. Directly attached to the intake manifold it opens at 6 psi. You can put a manual boost controller in line with it to make it open at a higher boost level.

It's not as loud as you would think but it sounds like crap and vibrates the whole cabin. I can't see any performance gains. I really only did it to test the reliability of the valve itself as we use them on a few of our exhaust products like the fusion catback. It ends up being pretty baddass as the car is almost stock quiet at idle and cruising (still with a more aggressive note), and really opens up when you get on it. But on my fiesta its just loud->stupid loud.

I disconnected the vac line about a year ago and havent put it back since.
Yeah not really looking for a cutout, more a muffler that uses pressure to open a valve inside the muffler. I.e. low pressure it goes through the quiet baffle, high pressure it opens the valve and bypasses the baffles. Just a thought :)

Doesn’t seem cost effective though. I’m thinking about pairing a vibrant ultra quiet and a vibrant bottle res with 2.5” piping to satisfy my sound desires.