Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Boost leak (lazy edition)

Hey guys,

Tuner (Tunewerks) says:

"The boost is much lower at peak WTQ than expected. I would thoroughly inspect/examine the entire boosting system for leaks. And check the intercooler for ballooning, as well"

Let me start by saying, I will not be assed with taking off my bumper. I've already got a call out to my mechanic, if it comes to that (judging by what I see here, hot side pipe is most likely culprit). What I can see of IC looks good.

Just wondering if there's any low hanging fruit (easily accessible without lift/jack/disassembly) I could check before he gets back to me?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hey guys,

Tuner (Tunewerks) says:

"The boost is much lower at peak WTQ than expected. I would thoroughly inspect/examine the entire boosting system for leaks. And check the intercooler for ballooning, as well"

Let me start by saying, I will not be assed with taking off my bumper. I've already got a call out to my mechanic, if it comes to that (judging by what I see here, hot side pipe is most likely culprit). What I can see of IC looks good.

Just wondering if there's any low hanging fruit (easily accessible without lift/jack/disassembly) I could check before he gets back to me?

Thanks for your help!
I can remove my bumper in 10-15 mins* Now is the time to become familiar with doing it.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

OP
FiSTY
Thread Starter #3
Now is the time to become familiar with doing it.
That sounds ominous AF. Like do you know something I don't? Will mechanics be the first group to fall victim to the zombie apocalypse?

All jokes aside, I'm sure I could... I just don't want to. Working on (modern) cars makes me miserable (cramped spaces, easily broken plastic bits etc.) and long as I can afford to, I'll pay someone to do it for me.

Mikey456

Hey guys,

Tuner (Tunewerks) says:

Thanks for your help!
You can try tightening the clamps on the boost hoses. They can loosen over time. Use a 7mm wrench and get under the passengers side of the car.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
You can try tightening the clamps on the boost hoses. They can loosen over time. Use a 7mm wrench and get under the passengers side of the car.
If you can reach, before tightening the hoses pull em off, clean them (they'll probably be oily) and spray some hairspray on the metal then put the hose back on and clamp, it'll help prevent slipping. Whoosh sells better clamps because... they come loose.

OP
FiSTY
Thread Starter #6
If you can reach, before tightening the hoses pull em off, clean them (they'll probably be oily) and spray some hairspray on the metal then put the hose back on and clamp, it'll help prevent slipping. Whoosh sells better clamps because... they come loose.
Solid recommendation, thank you! So far, I have been unable to locate. My mechanic is scheduled to hook it up to the smoke machine this Friday... already got a call out to Ron, if he can get the parts here by then, I'll have em do clamps and hot side pipe. If not, I'll earmark for the next round of upgrades.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Seriously? 🤣
Well you hear it more with an intake, and I am a super sound-sensitive person (like, I add little bits of acoustic foam inside of dash panels and stuff, put graphite between dash panels, etc. all to prevent noise), but yeah it does create a weird whistling sound if you have an intake. It's like blowing across the top of a really small bottle. not a "hooooooo" sound like a normal sized bottle, but a high pitched "heeeeeeee" like one of those minibar bottles.

Reading what I *just* typed, its ridiculous, but I'm going to leave it because it's funny.

Technically, as it goes from low to high boost it goes "heeeeeeeeooooooooooweeeeeeee"

OP
FiSTY
Thread Starter #10
Well you hear it more with an intake, and I am a super sound-sensitive person (like, I add little bits of acoustic foam inside of dash panels and stuff, put graphite between dash panels, etc. all to prevent noise), but yeah it does create a weird whistling sound if you have an intake. It's like blowing across the top of a really small bottle. not a "hooooooo" sound like a normal sized bottle, but a high pitched "heeeeeeee" like one of those minibar bottles.

Reading what I *just* typed, its ridiculous, but I'm going to leave it because it's funny.

Technically, as it goes from low to high boost it goes "heeeeeeeeooooooooooweeeeeeee"

Can't stand the myriad of cabin creeks and rattles in my car either... my solution has been to keep the volume on my stereo set to 22. Of course, this interferes with the exhaust and turbo noise I do enjoy. Have you documented your efforts by chance? Sounds like I could learn something 🤓

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Can't stand the myriad of cabin creeks and rattles in my car either... my solution has been to keep the volume on my stereo set to 22. Of course, this interferes with the exhaust and turbo noise I do enjoy. Have you documented your efforts by chance? Sounds like I could learn something 🤓
Not really, I have always done it with every car. Pushing/twisting/etc panels and interior bits. If I hear a plastic on plastic squeak, I fold up an index card and wedge it between panels to see what changes, etc. Knock on things, use strips of mass damping foam, etc.

OP
FiSTY
Thread Starter #12
My mechanic hooked it up to the smoke machine, only leak they're finding is the boost bleed tubes (billet above and below throttle body).

Since this isn't something that can be tightened I guess replacement parts?

Is this something I should go OEM or aftermarket for?

If the latter, any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!