Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Clicking rhythmic noise when releasing clutch and accelerating from full stop

eliteA92

Hi,

I bought a second hand Fiesta Mk8 (2018) half a year ago. It has 20.000 km.

I have started to pay attention to one particular noise that worries me a little. Let's say I am at full stop, clutch pressed and first gear in. Ready to go. Then, I start moving slowly by accelerating softly and releasing the clutch gently. This is a typical situation when parking, at traffic lights in the city, in a traffic jam, etc. The issue is that when I am releasing the clutch while accelerating, and the car starts to move, I can hear a fast paced rythmic clicking sound.

It is like a mechanical noise coming from the engine or under the car. I think it is synchronized with the engine revs, so it becomes faster paced while you accelerate. At 20-30 km/h it is not audible anymore, so you can only hear it when you start to move gently from full stop in first gear or when releasing the clutch in second gear when driving really slow. Basically, at urban driving when the engine starts pushing the car forward.

The clutch seems to be working completely fine. The car moves really smoothly. The pedal doesn't vibrate or make strange noises. Also, if I am in neutral and press and release the clutch, nothing strange happens, no noises or vibrations. So the only problem is... that strange noise when I am starting to move. It is not something very noticeable and I think it can't be heard from outside the car. Maybe it is something normal, but my previous cars didn't make that sound so I am a bit confused.

Can someone explain if this is normal and why it could be happening? Thank you so much.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hi,

I bought a second hand Fiesta Mk8 (2018) half a year ago. It has 20.000 km.

I have started to pay attention to one particular noise that worries me a little. Let's say I am at full stop, clutch pressed and first gear in. Ready to go. Then, I start moving slowly by accelerating softly and releasing the clutch gently. This is a typical situation when parking, at traffic lights in the city, in a traffic jam, etc. The issue is that when I am releasing the clutch while accelerating, and the car starts to move, I can hear a fast paced rythmic clicking sound.

It is like a mechanical noise coming from the engine or under the car. I think it is synchronized with the engine revs, so it becomes faster paced while you accelerate. At 20-30 km/h it is not audible anymore, so you can only hear it when you start to move gently from full stop in first gear or when releasing the clutch in second gear when driving really slow. Basically, at urban driving when the engine starts pushing the car forward.

The clutch seems to be working completely fine. The car moves really smoothly. The pedal doesn't vibrate or make strange noises. Also, if I am in neutral and press and release the clutch, nothing strange happens, no noises or vibrations. So the only problem is... that strange noise when I am starting to move. It is not something very noticeable and I think it can't be heard from outside the car. Maybe it is something normal, but my previous cars didn't make that sound so I am a bit confused.

Can someone explain if this is normal and why it could be happening? Thank you so much.
Did you EVER figure this out?

haste

1000 Post Club
It's just the dual mass flywheel making noise. I believe all FiSTs make this noise if you listen closely enough.

My 2022 GTI makes the noise too after I changed out the bleeder block, delay valve and removed the swirl valve which were all NVH components.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
It's just the dual mass flywheel making noise. I believe all FiSTs make this noise if you listen closely enough.

My 2022 GTI makes the noise too after I changed out the bleeder block, delay valve and removed the swirl valve which were all NVH components.
I'm just cleaning up older threads and trying to get answers from Dingus's who don't follow though! [wrenchin]

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
He got no answer, so he moved on.