Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Considering/just test drove a Mazda CX-9 for wife...would like informed opinions

I very nearly went for a Mazda3 turbo (same engine and power as the CX5/9, but in the Mazda3), but being able to get a Stinger used for only a few grand more... yeah, that sealed the deal. When I was buying my '19 Miata, I had a look at those and some other models at the dealership, and there's no doubt in my mind that for the money Mazda is making the best interiors in the business right now. Why they don't do better with sales numbers is beyond me, but I know that's largely down to brand power, and Mazda just doesn't have it.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #42
It's been a 1 year 3 months with the CX-9, just washed/detailed/changed oil and filter the other day, thought I'd update.

We've put 7,800 miles on it in that time. Lifetime MPGs are 22, 90% city driving. Very happy with that - our last family vehicle was a Honda Odyssey which we owned for 150,000 miles/13 years and it averaged 19 city MPG.

What can I say? Zero issues with this car. Still drives and feels and looks like new. Still a pleasure to drive every time. The torque is very nice. Quiet, luxurious, blah blah blah.

I made a video on this car about a year ago, and haven't checked it since then, was surprised today to find it had so many views. More than most of my Fiesta videos! Here it is:

View: https://youtu.be/EvFqwygvp8s

I’ve owned 3 CX-9s since 2009. The current is a 2019 GT AWD. The CX-9 is the top vehicle in Mazda’s lineup. I’ve also owned Mazda’s since 2003. The front seats in the 2008-2015 CX-9s are much better for driving support and comfort than the 2016+ for ME, but my wife loves them. The seats are wider and flatter for the fat-assed Americans and the seat bottom doesn’t adjust high enough in the front. They will raise up very high for the shorter fat-assed people too. The new 2.5TDI engine is a gem with great low end power and short distance acceleration. You pay for that low end torque with a dramatic drop in power as revs rise, but if you keep the revs lower it pulls hard. 80+ mph cruising is effortless. I also have several Ford Performance vehicles hence the FORd & maZDA combined for my forum name(s).

We bought the wife a 2021 CX-5 Signature a few weeks ago and so far so good. We've owned a number of Mazda's over the years and have had great luck with them. The turbo 4 is stout...but far different than the V6 she had in a 2006 RAV4. More of a locomotive than a screamer but equally effective. Naturally it drives great, and interior and fit and finish are fantastic. She came out of a 2014 Jeep Cherokee that was surprisingly good (only car I ever bought an extended warranty on, which went unused) with the exception of a really shitty ZF 9 speed transmission.