Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Convince me either way: Eibach springs with Koni STRs vs Eibachs w/ factory dampeners

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Got ahold of some new Eibach Pro springs in a parts trade.

Im interested in the slight drop and less harsh ride. Id like to run these springs if possible.

Am i better off buying new factory dampeners all around, or should i pick up some orange Konis?

I dont want to neuter my car. I really enjoy driving it. If theres a better match of springs and dampeners, let me know! Budget is a concern though and i don't want to deal with coilovers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Swift Spec-r's with OEM or Koni orange*

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Had eibach. NEVER again. Stick with new stock springs and dampers. Get new strut tophats, and poly upper spring pads out back. Imo, great for a street car on crap roads.

ronmcdon

agreed with the polyu rear spring pads. Got the powerflex black bushings and seem to work well and isn't harsh at all.

here's a thread on it.
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/powerflex-rear-spring-upper-isolator-new-item.15571/

Not a huge fan of Eibach and prefer Swifts as well. I would recommend selling them and agreed with Swift w/ OEM or Swift w/ koni yellow (have had this setup in fun street cars a lot). Also think stock suspension isn't too bad. Have done track days with it and they hold up well. One thing I like about them is they give you a strong incentive to learn to drive the car smooth.

kevinatfms

Stick with the stock springs if you like the playfulness of the chassis. The Eibachs just ruin the car to make it softer.

If you want a damper upgrade, go Koni Sports over the STR.T's or Bilstein B6's with the stock springs.

Last edited:
Counterpoint
If all you want is a less harsh ride and a slightly lowered look on a budget, the Eibachs will be great. I have them and haven't replaced anything else. I'm sure someday I'll have to get new shocks because lowering the car shortens the lifespan of the stock ones. Would it be nice to replace more stuff? Sure. But when budget is your biggest factor, one has to prioritize. You should know that I've found that tires are a larger factor in harshness than the difference between stock and Eibach springs.
Full disclosure though I'm no track rat, and just love zipping my car around town and on my daily drive.

OP
RubenZZZ

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
UPDATE: Found out that Bilstein offers a "B4" OEM-style replacement strut/shock combo.

Why does no one speak about these? $320 for all four corners on ebay.

Mikey456

Here is what a Bilstein website says about the B4

Bilstein B4 dampers are classed as a replacement damper, this means they are a direct replacement shock absorber of the original factory fitted shocks. In some cases however oil shock absorbers are fitted as standard on some vehicles so the B4 is effectively an upgrade as it's a gas pressurized damper. These dampers are painted Black.

Bilstein B6 is an uprated shock absorber and is sometimes know as Bilstein B6 Sport. These have been extensively developed to give a sporty ride without lowering your vehicle. Generally they are a mono tube high pressure gas shock absorber meaning consistent performance and a sporty ride. These dampers are painted yellow.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Was there ever any searching into whether or not the factory ever increased (or even changed in either direction) the actual spring rates of the stock springs over the life run of these cars, and NOT just the sway bar size, and rear beam axle changes??

I just added Koni yellows to my H&R Super Sports. I called up Lee over at Koni and he recommended setting them half a turn from full soft (daily driver with spirited driving, no track use) and the ride greatly improved. It's stiff, but not "jarring" like it was. I had the springs on stock shocks for 42K miles though so the shocks were probably worn out.

Car feels planted and responds well to steering inputs. Overall quite happy with the results so far. Haven't pushed the car too much since getting them on but when I have I don't really have any complaints to list.

Was there ever any searching into whether or not the factory ever increased (or even changed in either direction) the actual spring rates of the stock springs over the life run of these cars, and NOT just the sway bar size, and rear beam axle changes??
2014 to sometime around March 2016 had 171 lb/in front and 143 lb/in rear springs and around April 2016-2019 cars had 154 lb/in front and 131 lb/in rear springs. Source is right from fords supplimental manual and I personally knew some autocrossers with early 2016 cars that had the heavier 14-15 springs so it was a mid year change.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
2014 to sometime around March 2016 had 171 lb/in front and 143 lb/in rear springs and around April 2016-2019 cars had 154 lb/in front and 131 lb/in rear springs. Source is right from fords supplimental manual and I personally knew some autocrossers with early 2016 cars that had the heavier 14-15 springs so it was a mid year change.
Welcome, new member!
1620530295157.png

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
2014 to sometime around March 2016 had 171 lb/in front and 143 lb/in rear springs and around April 2016-2019 cars had 154 lb/in front and 131 lb/in rear springs. Source is right from fords supplemental manual and I personally knew some autocrossers with early 2016 cars that had the heavier 14-15 springs so it was a mid year change.
THANKS. [thumb]

Since I have an August 2016 built car, I must have the lesser rate springs.

Now I wonder if Ford even offers the earlier higher rate ones available for sale any more, IF I want to go with those and Bilstein B6es instead of any type of coil over (I want all of the linear spring rate I can get without lowering the car [wink]).

Last edited:
THANKS. [thumb]

Since I have an August 2016 built car, I must have the lesser rate springs.

Now I wonder if Ford even offers the earlier higher rate ones available for sale any more, IF I want to go with those and Bilstein B6es instead of any type of coil over (I want all of the linear spring rate I can get without lowering the car [wink[).
You can confirm you have the softer springs if you look through the driver side rear wheel just above the brake rotor at the spring. There should be 3 paint marks, if they are pink, orange, orange then you have the softer springs. You could probably find someone selling oem springs from 2014-2015 that is upgrading.

OP
RubenZZZ

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15
UPDATE: sold my Eibachs. Picked up some Whitelines!

Now i need to figure out the struts/shock situation: $325 Bilstein B4 for stock replacement or spend the extra $250 for the B8s?!

Mikey456

UPDATE: sold my Eibachs. Picked up some Whitelines!

Now i need to figure out the struts/shock situation: $325 Bilstein B4 for stock replacement or spend the extra $250 for the B8s?!

Be the first to try the B4 and report back[emoji106]. I have the Swift springs and will probably go the B6 route.

2017 Ford Fiesta ST, Shadow Black, Recaro seats, Mountune RMM, Swift springs, 5mm rear spacers, Falken 615+ tires

OP
RubenZZZ

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #17
Update 2: ordered Bilstein B4 replacement struts/shocks from RockAuto for $251 shipped.

Spent last night reading up on the Whitelines and seems like the higher spring rates match up decently to the OE shocks. Im sure the drop springs might shorten the life on the Bilsteins, but if i get 50k out of them i'll be happy. I figure the large price difference is worth me experimenting with the B4s.

Mikey456

Update 2: ordered Bilstein B4 replacement struts/shocks from RockAuto for $251 shipped.

Spent last night reading up on the Whitelines and seems like the higher spring rates match up decently to the OE shocks. Im sure the drop springs might shorten the life on the Bilsteins, but if i get 50k out of them i'll be happy. I figure the large price difference is worth me experimenting with the B4s.

I assume you are installing them yourself. I have to factor in the labor costs also.

OP
RubenZZZ

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #19
I assume you are installing them yourself. I have to factor in the labor costs also.
Yessir. Probably gonna pay a shop to mount the springs on the struts, but i can handle the rest.

Yessir. Probably gonna pay a shop to mount the springs on the struts, but i can handle the rest.
You should look into doing the whole thing yourself then! Just a bit of encouragement. If you can do the rest, mounting the springs on the struts is pretty easy. Many auto shops will let you borrow a spring compressor without any charge. If I can do this (and I did), I'm sure just about anybody can! lol