Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ebay Chronicles: Fiesta ST aluminum shift knob review!

Hey Everyone, this is the first installment of the Ebay Chronicles, where i review generic, cheap, or cloned items available for our platform on sites like Ebay and Aliexpress. Ive been a car enthusiast for years and have built many fun and interesting projects, but with my Fiesta ST I have decided to build on a very small budget and really try to maximize my fun per dollar ratio. Aside from buying mainly used quality parts, Ive decided to roll the dice on some less critical parts and see if there is anything available for our cars on ebay that is not complete garbage. Its always fun to be a guinea pig and take a bit of a gamble on stuff that wont leave you stranded if it fails!

Today I am looking at the unbranded aluminum shift knobs available on Ebay:https://www.ebay.ca/itm/For-2015-16...a=0&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851 I purchased mine for $31 including shipping from china. Ebays SpeedPak shipping is pretty quick and I only had to wait 8 days before mine showed up at my house. The package was a grey envelope, with just the bare shift knob inside wrapped in bubble wrap. The first thing I noticed about the shift knob was how nice the machining was of the aluminum. It has a nice soft brushed feel with no hard edges, tool marks or any visible scratches or flaws on the exterior. I was kind of suprised how nice it was to touch actually. 20191224_165840.jpg

Here it is next to the stock shift knob. The aluminum one has a near identical weight as the stock one, which i feel is sufficient for our cars transmission. I had to use a 500gram weighed shift knob on my 2017 WRX because of how shitty and terrible feeling that cars cable transmission was, truly the worst ive ever experienced. The Fiesta in comparison has a great shifting gearbox and doesnt need the added leverage a weighed shift knob provides. 20191224_165903.jpg

The threads are plastic which is acceptable for the price of this shift knob, and comes with provisions for the reverse lockout. I would avoid overtightening the plastic threads in the event the threads strip.
20191224_165945.jpg

There are two available colours for the lettering, I chose the red to match my stitching and exterior colour, but black is offered as well. The numbering and shift gate is nicely filled, with no shitty paint coverage. One thing I noticed about the cut out numbering is that the edges are ever so slightly coarse. Its not a deal breaker for me and is hardly noticeable but worth pointing out.

20191224_170330.jpg

Here is the aluminum shifter compared next to the stocker and my previously mentioned 500 gram ball shifter. The white one is just too heavy for use in the Fiesta ST.

20191224_170522.jpg

Here it is installed in the car. Its very comfortable to use and the reverse lockout works perfectly.

Overall I believe that this shift knob is great value for money and is a great replacement for the ugly awkward stock knob. Ive always felt that shift knobs are stupidly overpriced for what you get in return and this aluminum one is great for someone who just wants a good quality replacement and doesn't want to pay $150+ for some limited edition showpiece. Next product I will be reviewing is the Wagner intercooler clone and boy, was that a fun one to wrestle with. Until next time!

Nice! Next, you could do the short shifter found on aliexpress. I just bought it but since my car is stored for winter I wouldn't be able to review it.
shorturl.at/ghyV5

looks good. interesting how they used a plastic insert vs just tapping the knob. probably an extra penny saved in production?

OP
C
Thread Starter #5
Nice! Next, you could do the short shifter found on aliexpress. I just bought it but since my car is stored for winter I wouldn't be able to review it.
shorturl.at/ghyV5
I've actually had that short shifter on my car for almost 6 months now and have had no issues whatsoever with it.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Hello, If I read correctly you said it had “provisions for the reverse lockout” ... do you mean it doesnt need an adapter? Screws in by itself with functional reverse?
I’m looking for a “ball” shift knob that does not require the Reverse Lockout Adapter because it looks so much better without it... is this possible? Or do they all need it?

OP
C
Thread Starter #7
Hello, If I read correctly you said it had “provisions for the reverse lockout” ... do you mean it doesnt need an adapter? Screws in by itself with functional reverse?
I’m looking for a “ball” shift knob that does not require the Reverse Lockout Adapter because it looks so much better without it... is this possible? Or do they all need it?
Yes, this shift knob screws right in and allows the reverse lockout to work properly.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
I installed mine today. It was as easy as unscrew the old one and screw on the new one. 30 second job, if that. Fit is perfect!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
No loc-tite needed. When I got it tight the numbers were just about upside down so I had no choice but the tighten another half a turn. I tried to go a half turn loose but it was too loose. So lucky for me no stripped threads because they are plastic.

OP
C
Thread Starter #11
I've used the shift knob now for a month and I have to say its awesome to use. Very comfortable and a perfect weight. It's a bargain for only $30

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
I noticed after driving with it today, my first day driving with it, that you get a lot more shifter feel through the new shift knob. I think I like that better but time will tell.

Thanks for posting this. Was feeling nostalgic for the Type R knob I had in my EP Civic. This fills the bill. Not the teardrop shape of the Type R but also no need for lockout adapter. Slightly heavier than factory knob, shifting is very nice. Can't beat the quality for $30. As received, plastic insert was only partially tapped, good if you want the knob a bit higher, tapped mine all the way to drop it as low as it would go.

Attachments

I’m considering trying this knob out as well. Did you have to buy a separate reverse lockout adapter or could you reuse from the original shift knob?