Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

End all be all actuator replacement thread (clicking sound, part numbers, video install)

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Seems to move the air between floor and "face" vents just fine.
Must've been an intermittent thing. No longer the case. This is what I actually need for defrost
The Dorman part may have failed.

UPDATE 22y12m24d12h39m36s:
I could hear it moving so it wasn't dead. Went under the dash and found that the bottom screw wasn't truly securing it; though it looked like it. The gear eventually disconnected. When I pulled the box out of the dash, its gear was still inserted in the HVAC unit. Attempting to reuse the existing Dorman versus the replacement I purchased. Once the bottom screw is properly done, hopefully it'll still work for the foreseeable future. If not, I have a backup on-hand.

BTW, you can put your hand in the dash and manually turn the gears so that they line up with the positioning of the motor. You can also turn the ignition on and have the climate control system move the motor, hitting the ignition at what point you need it to stop. Unplug the harness because the HVAC many eventually move it again; some 10 or 15 minutes after ignition off.

Last edited:

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I've only had to replace one under warranty in the 8 years of ownership. I must be one of the lucky ones!

MrBeanz

I have a 2011 Ford Fiesta (US) with two blend door actuators that currently need to be replaced but I need some real advice on the mythical temperature blend door actuator.

1) The Airflow mode door actuator (which controls airflow direction such as defrost, or floor, etc) which is located on the driver's side is somewhat challenging to get to and replace (for a non-car guy like myself), but overall straightforward and the part is easy to locate. This one I can do.

2) This is the problematic one that I need some advice on. The temperature blend door actuator (which controls the cool vs warm air settings) is difficult to find any real information on. All my searches on YouTube for replacement instructional videos have turned up literally nothing on this particular part. I also cannot find this part on the Ford parts site, or Dorman, or others. Some have even questioned the existence of a third blend door actuator (as seen in this very thread).

I was able to get a copy of the 2011 Ford Fiesta Workshop manual and found the page with the exploded view of the area in question. It clearly shows all three HVAC blend door actuators. I have highlighted all three actuators, however the one in green is the one I'm trying to fix. Oddly enough, even the workshop manual doesn't list a part number for the part and I'm really at a loss on how to fix this.

Can anyone point me to the part I need to replace this actuator? Any thoughts on the difficulty of getting to this actuator and replacing it?

Here's a screenshot from the workshop manual
Actuators.png

Intuit

3000 Post Club
@MrBeanz -
Temperature Blend Door Actuator doesn't seem to fail? I suspect that's why it's difficult to find information on it. But to answer your questions...

Per diagram below, is located on the passenger side (presumably footwell area) of the HVAC assembly. Its location (#8) is in the diagram below...
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threa...-part-numbers-video-install.22458/post-487655

Per info in the link below, the Dorman equivalent part number is 604-322...
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threa...-part-numbers-video-install.22458/post-487657

...and that part can be purchased below...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F58TBG3

Hvac Blend Door Actuator. Motor.

Manual Air Conditioning. Temperature Mode Actuator. "ASM. FNA. GU. MEX. MPS. SN. Pair. VIR" - With Automatic Air Conditioning.

Part #: YH2016 (19E616)

In stock for pickup at dealership, or will ship next business day
Your Price: $97.86

MSRP: $108.73

Hvac Blend Door Actuator. Motor - Inlet.

Manual Air Conditioning - With Automatic Air Conditioning.

Part #: YH1895 (19E616)

Your Price: $57.11

MSRP: $63.45

Hvac Defrost Mode Door Actuator. Motor.

Mode Control. Manual Air Conditioning. Defrost / Panel / Floor Door - With Automatic Air Conditioning.

Part #: YH1896 (19E616)

Your Price: $54.50

MSRP: $60.55

source: parts.ford.com

MrBeanz

@MrBeanz -
Temperature Blend Door Actuator doesn't seem to fail? I suspect that's why it's difficult to find information on it. But to answer your questions...

Per diagram below, is located on the passenger side (presumably footwell area) of the HVAC assembly. Its location (#8) is in the diagram below...
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threa...-part-numbers-video-install.22458/post-487655

Per info in the link below, the Dorman equivalent part number is 604-322...
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threa...-part-numbers-video-install.22458/post-487657

...and that part can be purchased below...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F58TBG3
Really appreciate the info. Will that part work on a Ford Fiesta 2011? When I looked on the Dorman website and filtered for model year 2011, Dorman did not show me that part. Amazon also warns that this part doesn't fit a 2011 Ford Fiesta. But I assume if it's the same MK model then it should work?

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

MrBeanz

Over on the AskMechanics sub-Reddit, they were able to point me to this part that specifically lists it being for the 2011 to 2013 Ford Fiesta.

https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/ford-cam_be8z-19788-b.html

Now I'm just concerned over the difficulty of replacing this one. I guess I'm one of the unlucky ones that has actually had this particular actuator fail and there is not a single instructional video that I can find to help guide me on this replacement.

Any thoughts on the overall difficulty of getting to this one?

MrBeanz

Well it does literally say "part of 19788" so you could try that maybe?
Yeah, it was throwing me off because it says it is "part of 19788" but part 19788 is #4 in that workshop manual image and is pointing to a part on the complete opposite side.

Turns out there was truth to the 19788 though and did find it here. I'm just not sure why in the workshop manual 19788 is pointing to a part elsewhere.

https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/ford-cam_be8z-19788-b.html

I have a 2015 Fiesta SFE with the automatic climate control, and about 110,000 miles on it. My passenger side blend door started making noise a few days ago. Having done the driver side one in 2017 I was getting ready for a half a day on my back, starting with "step one remove the seat". I was pleased to see that the passenger side one is fairly easy to get to.

However I wanted to add a comment to this thread, maybe I am just lucky but I replaced the driver side one when it was just out of warranty in 2017. 6 years and over 70,000 miles later my driver side one is still working fine. I initially thought the driver side one went out this time, but upon further inspection it is the passenger side one.

When I did the driver side one I used the "wrong" part. The broken part # that came with the car was the correct one, the YH-1896. I installed the French made, more expensive, and visibly thicker gearbox, the YH-1935. I remember having to slightly modify the YH-1935 by drilling a little hole so it would mount properly.

Maybe I am lucky but if you read this thread it sounds like no one is getting 6 years and 70k out of the YH-1896.

I detailed this in the previous thread, for some reason the pictures are not in the post anymore. (posts 223, 225)
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/blend-door-actuator-issue-thread.5161/page-12

Here is the YH-1935 next to the YH-1896

And here is the little "X" that needs to be drilled out.

I am not recommending anyone use the "wrong" part, or that it will last 6 years for anyone else, this is what has worked for me. I would also hope that in the last 6 years they have figured out how to make these little gear boxes a little more reliable.

Nathan

Attachments

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
I'd be hesitant to do that as whatever the next weakest part in the chain is now has more stress on that part.
I've also thought about that, but using a more robust plastic for the main gear would seem to be a cheap and easy fix. It's a savings of 11 whole dollars, after all.

Driver side and passenger side - done : )

No more clicking, and I don't smell oil/exhaust/engine through the vents...super win all around!!

...and thanks for the video links on page 2

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Here's a document I made to try to better understand what the different actuators do, and where they are .Some of the information as you can see is from RockAuto, some was posted on here, probably earlier in this thread, but I screenshotted it to organize it in a way that would help me. I don't remember who posted it on here, so I'm sorry I can't give you credit. If you see this and identify yourself, I'll give you credit.

Attachments

Hello everyone, thank you for the information you have published. I think she will help me
I just wanted to clarify if I understood everything correctly (due to translation difficulties).
In my case, the airflow does not hit the windshield. It doesn't matter which direction of blowing I chose on the climate control unit. The air always flows to the center (to my face) and down (to my feet).
I've been ignoring this for a while... but in case of rainy weather, it is simply impossible to remove condensation from the windshield
As I understand from what you described above - the main suspect is the drive from the driver's side. Is that true?
(in my case, there are no clicks, I can't look for the problem by sound - it just doesn't seem to work)
thanks!

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I think you're on the right track, the mode door is the one that I had replaced and that is the one that controls where the airflow goes: to the windshield, to the center vents, or to the floor.
I didn't replace it myself, a mechanic did it for me, but he said it was near the steering column, and I remember that he told me he had to take the airbag out.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
The damn thing struck again - I had already relplaced the blend door actuator a couple of years back, and now the replacement broke. That's not THE issue, however - the problem is that I can't fit the new actuator inside the gears that turn the blend door. The last 1/8 or so of a turn is just not happening. I even took the "spindle" from the broken one - and I can move the door from one extreme position to another with it or with the new actuator partially engaged. But, for some reason, I can't line it up completely - so the screw holes aren't lining up to complete the install.

Not sure what reason for that is - last time, no problem with the install. The parts are the same (the same part number) and they look identical, save for the manufacturing date. (I am yet to see if the gear turns when I use the climate controls).

Thoughts?