Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

End all be all actuator replacement thread (clicking sound, part numbers, video install)

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Sometimes parts are made fragile on purpose. Like a shear pin on a snowblower. I'm wondering if that's the case with these? I wouldn't know, never had to replace one or take one apart and investigate.

Ford AV1Z-19E616K is Ford's number for the YH-1896, they are the same thing
Ford AV1Z-19E616A is Ford's number for the YH-1935, this is the old part number before update
Click this link for more info
BE8Z19E616B is another part number for this one I found floating around, which only lends to further confusion...
This post is super helpful but I'm still confused about this section above. It looks like that third part is actually a third blend door actuator according to the parts diagrams. So does the Fiesta ST have two or three actuators? I have seen the one behind the glove box and the one under the dash near the driver's right knee. Is there a third one I need to replace? I just bought a 2014 and it has at least two clicking actuators.

This post is super helpful but I'm still confused about this section above. It looks like that third part is actually a third blend door actuator according to the parts diagrams. So does the Fiesta ST have two or three actuators? I have seen the one behind the glove box and the one under the dash near the driver's right knee. Is there a third one I need to replace? I just bought a 2014 and it has at least two clicking actuators.
I believe there is a third one, but I've never heard of it going out on anybody. i'd just replace the 2 and see what happens

That’s what I did yesterday and just hoped for the best, it worked!
I believe there is a third one, but I've never heard of it going out on anybody. i'd just replace the 2 and see what happens
The third on sucks. In the center of the dash I've been lucky all mine have given zero issues(just jinxed myself lol) but that third I believe you gotta tear apart the dash to access it.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I run my HVAC system on manual, and recently changed the direction of the airflow from the center / dashboard position to the windshield / defrost and floor positions. Since I did that, when I turn the system off I get about 10 loud fast clicks, which then stop.Since I just changed the airflow position and then the clicking started, I'm guessing that it's the actuator which controls that that has gone out. I have seen that one called the mode or air distribution actuator.

My question is if that is the one that is going out, does anyone know where it's physically located in the car?I have gathered from reading on this thread that there are 3- one behind the glove box, one up in the dash which is harder to get to, and one near the steering column.I'm wondering which of these three controls the mode or air distribution, where the air flows out of the vents (windshield, dash or floor.) Noises are tricky and it's hard for me to tell where it's coming from even if I try to get my head right up in the different positions.Thanks all.

Last edited:
Thanks, I appreciate that. How do you get to that one to replace it?
Unfortunately that's were my helps end as I never had to replace mine so I can't guide you on that. I'm pretty sure there should be youtube videos for each and every actuators though.

Von

I run my HVAC system on manual, and recently changed the direction of the airflow from the center / dashboard position to the windshield / defrost and floor positions. Since I did that, when I turn the system off I get about 10 loud fast clicks, which then stop.Since I just changed the airflow position and then the clicking started, I'm guessing that it's the actuator which controls that that has gone out. I have seen that one called the mode or air distribution actuator.

My question is if that is the one that is going out, does anyone know where it's physically located in the car?I have gathered from reading on this thread that there are 3- one behind the glove box, one up in the dash which is harder to get to, and one near the steering column.I'm wondering which of these three controls the mode or air distribution, where the air flows out of the vents (windshield, dash or floor.) Noises are tricky and it's hard for me to tell where it's coming from even if I try to get my head right up in the different positions.Thanks all.
The door selector one is back and to the right of the steering wheel. Way I just replaced was using a DeWalt flex shaft 1/4" hex tool with an impact after removing the steering column. Much easier than trying to ratchet

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
My mode door actuator went out recently. That's the one that controls the direction of the airflow.It had been clicking a little bit about 6 months ago, and then stopped, and then started again recently when I changed the position of the air flow from dash to defrost and floor with the cold weather coming. It would click for about 10 seconds when you started the car, and then again for about 10 seconds after you cut off the HVAC system, which I always run manually.
I appreciate the tips on here about where it is (to the right of the steering wheel a little bit in from the dash,) how to get to it, and how to fix it. I'm the worst mechanic in the world, if there's a way to do something wrong I will generally discover it. I have an independent mechanic that's been working on my cars for many years. I trust him, and we're kind of casual friends, so I just decided to have him fix it.I just drove it a short distance home, but ran the HVAC system, and no clicking. Great relief.

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
At 97,700 my passenger side one went. They performed a climate control electrical diagnostic and found that the motor had an open circuit. Door replaced under warranty. Made noise a week or two ago but has since stopped!

Had clicking when I bought the car at 66k km, one night the whole way home the thing clicked agressively, around 20 minutes time, and then nothing.

Since then went in under the steering wheel four times, replaced it twice with different dorman actuators (same part #) to ensure it wasn't part failure.

Part numbers are good, and I made sure that it's installed 100% the right way. Still - vents are not actuating properly. I'm tired of dealing with it, and I hope it's not a broken door and that I don't have to replace the whole assembly. I don't even want to bring it to the mechanic because they'll probably just quote me 1k+ for a dash removal.

Otherwise, seems I'll just disconnect and remove the actuator, and every season I'll just realign vents where I want them. 90% of the time it's defrost and feet anyway.

Last ditch ideas before I just don't change my vents for the next 5 months? Fuses, master reset of Sync? The other door actuator (temperatures are OK and no clicking). I'll disconnect battery this weekend to see if it resets. I have installed a new Sync module (had Sync 2) from another Fiesta, maybe that's the cause?

Should I order a HVAC control panel to see if it's that? It acts weirdly, as in won't show intensity of fan when turning on hi. I own a 2014 though, so usually not affected by the software issues that were on the 2016. Otherwise, did someone ever make a video for replacing the actual blender door? And not the actuator.

Last edited:
There are three different actuators. Are you sure you replaced the correct one?
Funny you ask, it worked this morning, vents started working again, got air to the window. No clicking. It's maddening. Maybe this evening they'll go out again.

I had replaced the under steering wheel one with the right dorman 5 pin actuator. Opened up the old actuator and there were teeth missing, confirming that it had to be replaced anyway.

I'll check the glovebox one when I'll have the time, but as it's purely a vent orientation issue (and not a heat/AC issue), I doubt that it's that one.

Well just ordered my second Dorman 604-400 (drivers side) hopefully this one holds up longer than 5 months.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
No defrost.
Recirculate seems to turn on/off just fine.
Seems to move the air between floor and "face" vents just fine.
EDIT: This was temporary. Actually need another "air distribution door actuator". /EDIT

Think I'm going to need #8 - Temperature door actuator.
Just need a Dorman part number.

1671807599829.png

Last edited:

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Just need a Dorman part number.
https://www.dormanproducts.com/gsearch.aspx?year=2016&make=Ford&model=Fiesta&origin=YMM&parttype=HVAC%20Air%20Door%20Actuator

Guessing I require the one for "Mode" - Part # 604-400.

Yeah the 604-322 is on the driver side and already replaced that a year or two ago. EDIT: (and may need to replace again) /EDIT
Per this thread 604-251 is behind the glove box and that only does recirculate.

1671809179043.png

Further confirmation...
https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-84825-604-400.aspx?year=2016&make=Ford&model=Fiesta&parttype=HVAC%20Air%20Door%20Actuator&origin=YMM
1671809673631.png

Last edited: