Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

You don’t hear much about it, but I love the Borla I have on the FiST. Sounds is amazing, nice burble and some pops downshifting. Highly recommend.

Absolutely no drone, and I am super sensitive to it. I have no plans for turbo upgrades or any serious mods, so the 2.25 in size is perfect. Couple with a symposer delete, the car sounds as it should.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Does anyone have a full picture of the exhaust system for the Ultimate Racing 3"? I like the look of the single downward angled tip. Curious what the remaindure of the exhaust looks like.
They WILL sell you that tip separately to put on any system you like (including the Thermal).
I bought one to install it on my CP-E Nexus system, but they are $$$! [:(]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Do you have a picture of what it looks like, or better yet, a video that might show that setup?
I do not, but, I also don't suggest it with the CP-E, as the above the tail pipe mounted Helmholtz chamber of the Nexus system DOES get in the way of the large(r) Ultimate Racing 4" outlet turn down tip, keeping one from angling it up into the valance cutout to an acceptable level. [:(]

With a Thermal, or any other system without anything above the tail pipe, and a single outlet from the rear muffler, or pipe, it will be fine.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Why don’t you just buy another Abarth lol? You need a turbo upgrade and then you won’t care about noises anymore 🙃
I think its fun :p I do miss the abarth but that thing was in for service 4 of the 12 months I owned it :| I can't go thru that again. In all honesty, I looked for opportunities to go for a drive when I had the abarth. With the FiST, it's just a daily driver - I have more interesting toys around for fun. With the Abarth I didn't miss motorcycling at all, with the FiST I am looking into if I can tow a small trailer with a pair of honda Groms on it ;) to go somewhere fun, ride until my arm stops working, then trailer 'em home.

For the exhaust stuff - I really like doing all the math and design of exhaust systems, the only thing that sucks is fabrication costs. I need access to a lift for a few hours because doing this stuff on the driveway with ramps sucks. Also, time. Need lots more time. With 80 hour weeks this hobby happens in spurts and bursts.

Last edited:
I think its fun :p I do miss the abarth but that thing was in for service 4 of the 12 months I owned it :| I can't go thru that again. In all honesty, I looked for opportunities to go for a drive when I had the abarth. With the FiST, it's just a daily driver - I have more interesting toys around for fun. With the Abarth I didn't miss motorcycling at all, with the FiST I am looking into if I can tow a small trailer with a pair of honda Groms on it ;) to go somewhere fun, ride until my arm stops working, then trailer 'em home.

For the exhaust stuff - I really like doing all the math and design of exhaust systems, the only thing that sucks is fabrication costs. I need access to a lift for a few hours because doing this stuff on the driveway with ramps sucks. Also, time. Need lots more time. With 80 hour weeks this hobby happens in spurts and bursts.
Do are you going to add Helmholtz chambers to the Borla? I know you’re trying to replicate the Abarth noise.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Do are you going to add Helmholtz chambers to the Borla? I know you’re trying to replicate the Abarth noise.
oh im not even after abarth sounds at this point, just making it fun but not intrusive.

the best abarth-like sound I've gotten so far was:
1. Stock system resonator delete (same type of sound but smoother, due to tuning, and a bit quieter)
2. 2.25" to a 2" resonator (the abarth actually necks down to 1 7/8"!!) to a T with 24" distance between them. I did not build this system, I put my car on jacks and clamped it all together an revved it. It sounded very abarth like, minus the tuning and multi-air sound difference. The fiat engine makes a really neat sound because of the multiair valvetrain; a dodge dart 1.4 makes the same sound, sounds good. If you bump the diameter of abarth exhaust too much it doesn't sound the same, i.e.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMyR0aMjfxw
(the first one is still small diameter, the second is 3" - the first one sounds like an abarth, the second sounds like a rice rocket. The third one is 2.5" I think, and sounds in between the two.

I do also think that the sound has something to do with the differential in exhaust pulses when the rear section is uneven (stock) vs. even (distance from tip to T where the exhaust splits). Even distance abarth exhausts sound smooth, uneven retains the goofy sound. In my testing a 30% difference in distance between the two tips gave the neat gravelly sound, while equidistant made it too smooth.

What I think would replicate abarth sound pretty well is below, 2.25" pipe, cat converter to a small resonator (or none!) to a split, with one leg of the split going straight back and the other leg going out to the side then back over to rejoin the straight tip adding 30% more distance for gases to travel. demonstrated below in shitty ascii art:

split
[cat converter]====================<=========== <- exit 1
|| \\ //= <- exit 2
(_helmholtz_) \\=====//
side loop to add distance and get to ~30% greater distance traveled.

Yes, its a sesquipedalian setup but I think it would accomplish the sound in question. I don't know if I'll bother building it, maybe exit 1 needs a neck down or a small resonator to encourage exhaust to take exit 2 or something.

I attached my ascii art as a pic because the forum keeps pooping on my formatting. Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 12.33.51 PM.png

Here's what the abarths stock exhaust looks like, from the cat back

Attachments

Last edited:

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
oh im not even after abarth sounds at this point, just making it fun but not intrusive.

1. Stock system resonator delete (same type of sound but smoother, due to tuning, and a bit quieter)
2. 2.25" to a 2" resonator (the abarth actually necks down to 1 7/8"!!) to a T with 24" distance between them. I did not build this system, I put my car on jacks and clamped it all together an revved it. It sounded very abarth like, minus the tuning and multi-air sound difference. The fiat engine makes a really neat sound because of the multiair valvetrain; a dodge dart 1.4 makes the same sound, sounds good. If you bump the diameter of abarth exhaust too much it doesn't sound the same, i.e.
(the first one is still small diameter, the second is 3" - the first one sounds like an abarth, the second sounds like a rice rocket. The third one is 2.5" I think, and sounds in between the two.

I do also think that the sound has something to do with the differential in exhaust pulses when the rear section is uneven (stock) vs. even (distance from tip to T where the exhaust splits). Even distance abarth exhausts sound smooth, uneven retains the goofy sound. In my testing a 30% difference in distance between the two tips gave the neat gravelly sound, while equidistant made it too smooth.

What I think would replicate abarth sound pretty well is below, 2.25" pipe, cat converter to a small resonator (or none!) to a split, with one leg of the split going straight back and the other leg going out to the side then back over to rejoin the straight tip adding 30% more distance for gases to travel. demonstrated below in shitty ascii art:

split
[cat converter]==================== || \\ //= (_helmholtz_) \\=====//

Yes, its a sesquipedalian setup but I think it would accomplish the sound in question. I don't know if I'll bother building it, maybe exit 1 needs a neck down or a small resonator to encourage exhaust to take exit 2 or something.

I attached my ascii art as a pic because the forum keeps pooping on my formatting. View attachment 20293

Well that's interesting! Did the neon srt4's do that too?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Dpro

6000 Post Club

split
[cat converter]====================<=========== <- exit 1
|| \\ //= <- exit 2
(_helmholtz_) \\=====//

I attached my ascii art as a pic because the forum keeps pooping on my formatting. View attachment 20293

This looks interesting I am wondering hw this is for flow?

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
My design or the stock Abarth one?

Probably not great for flow either way given that the Abarth sound is partially a result of the convoluted flow, hard “t” junction, and necking to 1-7/8” :| also the Abarth exhaust is significantly shorter than the FiST one

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club

Probably not great for flow either way given that the Abarth sound is partially a result of the convoluted flow, hard “t” junction, and necking to 1-7/8” :
Well that's interesting! Did the neon srt4's do that too?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Yeah my srt4 came with no mufflers. I bought the Abarth because it sounded like my srt4 :p

Dpro

6000 Post Club

Probably not great for flow either way given that the Abarth sound is partially a result of the convoluted flow, hard “t” junction, and necking to 1-7/8” :

Yeah my srt4 came with no mufflers. I bought the Abarth because it sounded like my srt4 :p
Just what was pictured but ya there are guys that did a dual seperated outlet RS style in the UK it sounded pretty sick not sure what they did underside to achieve it. I would go try to go split pipe if at all possible as that usually delivers a different tone. I know back in my 240sx SR20 days a Greddy DD dual pipe was a pretty sick sounding exhaust and not ricey at all.
I am surprised no one has thought of trying that on our cars two 1.75 or 2inch pipes side by side through a resonator into a a muffler and out dual tip?
It would change the sound of the exhaust.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Just what was pictured but ya there are guys that did a dual seperated outlet RS style in the UK it sounded pretty sick not sure what they did underside to achieve it. I would go try to go split pipe if at all possible as that usually delivers a different tone. I know back in my 240sx SR20 days a Greddy DD dual pipe was a pretty sick sounding exhaust and not ricey at all.
I am surprised no one has thought of trying that on our cars two 1.75 or 2inch pipes side by side through a resonator into a a muffler and out dual tip?
It would change the sound of the exhaust.
Bimmer style?

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk