Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST Winter Tires, Lets hear what you think

KKaWing

Yeah it's an FR-S but that just further proves the point of just how good winter tires are. (The guys are using Blizzaks, tread looks like the WS-80)

[video=youtube;JKBdOE2z4O4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKBdOE2z4O4[/video]

GAbOS

Firestone Winterforce 205/50 r16

I had to work Sunday night from 4pm till 2am. Huge snow storm that day/night. They did amazing on everything but ice, but that's to be expected as I don't have studs, though the tires are stud-able. I was inside for less than half an hour before realizing I didn't pull my wipers up. The snow was already starting to build up on the car again.

For Vancouver winters (no snow, lots of rain, above freezing) I found the General G-Max AS-03 is an incredible tire. If you live in a temperate climate like the West Coast, I highly recommend.
Great hydroplane resistance, M&S rated for any rare slush and good grip for dry sunny days.

They are pretty affordable as well and are attractive as far as tires go (if that matters for you).

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
For Vancouver winters (no snow, lots of rain, above freezing) I found the General G-Max AS-03 is an incredible tire. If you live in a temperate climate like the West Coast, I highly recommend.
Great hydroplane resistance, M&S rated for any rare slush and good grip for dry sunny days.

They are pretty affordable as well and are attractive as far as tires go (if that matters for you).

These are also one of the very few all seasons made in the actual OEM size, (besides the excellent, but co$tly, Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 3). ;)

So is the general consensus that 195/65/15's are too tall? I have a set of general Altimax arctics on some wheels from the accord I used to have and a set of 15" tsw revos I basically got for free. They have about one winter left on them before they need replaced and would like to use them if I can.

I think that would be too tall. That's the size I run on my Daytona in the winter, as it has the same overall diameter as my 205/55/16 summer tires. Translated into a 17 inch, it would be roughly the same as a 215/50/17 (common size) which is much taller than the Fiesta's factory 205/40/17. I'm not saying they won't fit, but I'd expect some tire rubbing and a lot of snow packing in the wheel wells.

LILIKE16ST

I would go with a 195/55/15 in the Michelin xice tires. Virtually the same OD as stock tire and a very good tire for the winter. Or you could go with a 185/60/15 blizzak but it is slightly further off from stock OD (although it's still very close...23.7 vs 23.5 (the 195/55/15 michelin xice I mentioned is said to be 23.4 OD vs stock 23.5 but the tires that came stock on my car (Michelin Pilot Sport a/s 3) in 205/40/17 are said to do like 887 Revs Per Mile and the xice from them is 888 Revs Per Mile so that is virtually dead on...(there are more differences between different tires of the same size than that in most cases)). I have the blizzak ws80 in 205/40/17 I am going to use on my stock FiST wheels this winter because they were only used maybe a couple months if that last year on my old SVT Focus before I bought the FiST so I am going to use them until I need to replace them (they are EXCELLENT winter tires, literally night and day over ANY all season made, I gaurantee that) then I will probably just go with 15 inch steelies and go with the Michelin xice which also seem to be very good tires. I will go with the 195/55/15 size as it's so close to the stock OD it's virtually dead on (to keep same gearing, speedo and MPG readout correct).

I also went with the 195/55/15 BFG SC2 tire to go on my matte black TD pro race 1.2 wheels that are on their way to me as we speak. They also have a 23.4 OD but the Revs Per Mile according to tire rack) is 888, same as the Michelin xice 195/55/15, as opposed to 887 for the stock Michelin all seasons my car came with. If accurate speedo and gearing matters to you, go with a 195/55/15. But if you're really knit picky, then check tire racks stats and look at the Revs Per Mile if it's listed. As I mentioned 1 rev per mile difference is virtually identical as their are more variences than that between different tires of the SAME size, let alone difference widths, heights AND wheel size :)

Foot notes:
Bridgestone Blizzak ws80 are WICKED BAD ASS in winter and I HIGHLY recommend it
You can go with the Blizzak in 185/60/15 and it's pretty close to stock
You can also go with the Michelin Xice tire which is also excellent from what I hear in 195/55/15 and it's virtually DEAD ON with stock OD and revs per mile according to tire rack.
I HIGHLY recommend some sort of winter tire if you see snow where you live, the difference is literally NIGHT AND DAY over any all season.

P.S.
The Nitto Neo Gen are supposed to be one of the better all seasons as far as snow capabilities and they were TERRIBLE on my SVT FOCUS....whereas the bridgestone blizzaks I had on for a little while last year were AMAZING. In up to 4-5 inches of snow going up hills in gravel driveways and whatever the car almost felt like a 4 wheel drive and rarely spun at all if any and was very predictable and manageable.
If you've never used dedicated winter tires do yourself a favor and DO IT. You won't look back. I do not like all season tires. I prefer summer tires in summer (2.5-3 seasons where I live) and dedicated winter tires in winter. It costs a little more but WELL worth it and so much better that way.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Has anyone had BOTH the General Altimax Arctic, AND the Nokian R2s (at different times of course), on their FiST yet??

If so, were the Nokians that much better for their big price premium, over the Alitmaxes, in most general winter snow/ice/slush conditions? [dunno]

. . . but the tires that came stock on my car (Michelin Pilot Sport a/s 3) in 205/40/17 . . .
Your car came stock with all-season Michelins and not the summer-only Bridgestones? When did that change?

If you've never used dedicated winter tires do yourself a favor and DO IT. You won't look back. I do not like all season tires. I prefer summer tires in summer (2.5-3 seasons where I live) and dedicated winter tires in winter. It costs a little more but WELL worth it and so much better that way.
I agree completely with this statement. I drive 100 miles 'round trip every day for work, I don't have time to mess around with all-seasons. I bought snow tires for my wife when we first got together and made a believer out of her as well. Now we both have fun tires for the summer, snow tires for the winter.

Has anyone had BOTH the General Altimax Arctic, AND the Nokian R2s (at different times of course), on their FiST yet??

If so, were the Nokians that much better for their big price premium, over the Alitmaxes, in most general winter snow/ice/slush conditions? [dunno]
I've not tried the Nokians so I can't honestly say, but I would be very impressed with any tire that can beat the Generals at any price point. I loved my Blizzaks when they were new, but the treadwear was pathetic, and they got pretty scary past half tread (one season). Just don't waste your money on the General all-season tire, they're worthless in any weather.

. . . but the tires that came stock on my car (Michelin Pilot Sport a/s 3) in 205/40/17 . . .
Your car came stock with all-season Michelins and not the summer-only Bridgestones? When did that change?

I agree completely with this statement. I drive 100 miles 'round trip every day for work, I don't have time to mess around with all-seasons. I bought snow tires for my wife when we first got together and made a believer out of her as well. Now we both have fun tires for the summer, snow tires for the winter.

I've not tried the Nokians so I can't honestly say, but I would be very impressed with any tire that can beat the Generals at any price point. I loved my Blizzaks when they were new, but the treadwear was pathetic, and they got pretty scary past half tread (one season). Just don't waste your money on the General all-season tire, they're worthless in any weather.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
It's a no cost OPTION, but one either you (if you ordered the car), or the dealer (if they ordered it for 'stock') had to ASK for, otherwise, yes, they show up with the Potenzas.

rexdriver85

I ran a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi's for 3 winter seasons when I had my Jetta TDI. Not the R2's, much older version. But, they were the best winter tire I ever personally experienced. The Hakkas are pretty standard over in Europe I hear. SUV's and 4x4s had nothing on me with those things.

I have the Altimax now, but last winter I really didn't get to put them to use. Maybe this winter. But, from what everyone says they are the best for the money, and why I bought them.

I doubt you'd go wrong with any of the 2. Honestly any winter tire will probably do you just fine compared to an all-season, haha.

LILIKE16ST

I assume they started coming with optional all seasons in the 16 model year? Or maybe its been like that. Its a no cost option you can choose when you buy the car. I got mine off the lot I drove a few hours away to get it because I got a pretty good deal on the exact car I wanted as far as options and color combo (minus the crap all seasons but I have to say these are the best gripping all seasons I've ever tried or even experienced in person ahead of the nitto neo gen (despite having a much higher tread rating)).

Since I bought my car in Maryland in early April most of the cars I saw on the lot where I bought the car (large high-volume dealer which had probably 25 FiST in stock) were equipped with the optional all seasons. I assume it is mostly because of the area in which i bought it and the fact that winter had just past so most of the cars on the lot had the optional all seasons. That is the only option I would have done different with my car had I ordered it...but I have to say theyre not half bad on grip for all seasons. Selling them to my buddy for his svt for 200 bucks with nearly 10K miles on them once I throw on my 15x8 pro race 1.2 with 195/55/15 bfg sc2 tires next week when they arrive and then the blizzaks are going on the stockers to be ready for november-december when its time to put the 1.2s in hibernation lol

This is not to be said to offend anyone but just saying my opinion. Blizzaks are a complete waste of money, I had a 2012 wrx and I put a set of blizzaks on it and they were loud and didn't live up to the price and or name. I sold them and went with a set of general Arctic altimax and was driving like a rally pro in them, low noise not super squishy and performance in the snow and ice. A set of four mounted and balanced on steelies was around $500.

Wrenching for Ford is what I do

The takeaway on the Altimaxes is this. They don't necessarily perform better than all alternatives, the point is at this pricepoint there isn't any sacrifice in performing what they are designed to do. I have used one set of Altimax the last two winters November to March for city and highway. This includes temps from negatives up to the 50s and conditions from rain, sleet, powder, ice, gravel, dry blah blah you get it and this is the most i have been impressed with a tire since drag radials got super popular in the early 2000s.

Last winter I slammed and went over parking lot curb covered in powder and the tires were fine. This spring I threw everything at them on some southern Indiana backgrounds - long sweepers, elevation changes, hairpins, and even an unexpected couple miles of dirt and gravel then hopped on the interstate and drove another 4 hours home. It was a route like this and there was no loss of fun factor

I assume they started coming with optional all seasons in the 16 model year? Or maybe its been like that. Its a no cost option you can choose when you buy the car. I got mine off the lot I drove a few hours away to get it because I got a pretty good deal on the exact car I wanted as far as options and color combo (minus the crap all seasons but I have to say these are the best gripping all seasons I've ever tried or even experienced in person ahead of the nitto neo gen (despite having a much higher tread rating)).

Since I bought my car in Maryland in early April most of the cars I saw on the lot where I bought the car (large high-volume dealer which had probably 25 FiST in stock) were equipped with the optional all seasons. I assume it is mostly because of the area in which i bought it and the fact that winter had just past so most of the cars on the lot had the optional all seasons. That is the only option I would have done different with my car had I ordered it...but I have to say theyre not half bad on grip for all seasons. Selling them to my buddy for his svt for 200 bucks with nearly 10K miles on them once I throw on my 15x8 pro race 1.2 with 195/55/15 bfg sc2 tires next week when they arrive and then the blizzaks are going on the stockers to be ready for november-december when its time to put the 1.2s in hibernation lol

I believe also that the cars that received the all-seasons also have a less aggressive brake pad. This is all done at the factory not at the dealer.