Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST Winter Tires, Lets hear what you think

rexdriver85

Well I did end up the steelies and the General Altimax Artctics. If anyone else was wondering like I was, they do come with a set of lug nuts.

I actually ordered my set thru a local tire chain. Not only did they match Tireracks price, they beat it as well. Plus saved 100 dollars on shipping. I wasn't sure if they were going to supply the lug nuts but they did. [emoji106][emoji106]

CJ's tire if anyone is interested.

What did you/they do about TPMS?
This is also what I'm most interested in. I don't really want to have to do it if I don't have to. I'm gonna speak to my dealer about it, but I just want to see what other people's experiences are dealing with their ford dealer (if they have any warranty or anything), if not getting a TPMS is going to impact any work/coverage they give you.

Interesting, I wasted 150 on TPMS then lol. It would bother me seeing that light on all the time so the money didn't bother me.

Sam4

I mounted and balanced myself with new regular valve stems, not TPMS. I don't need them for my winter setup.

And also, according to the TireRack, TPMS does NOT need to be functional to pass PA state inspection.

Here's the list. http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=214

So, let me understand - are they willing to mount, balance and ship to the end user without TPMS?

"Installation of Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) sensors in your new wheels is required to keep your vehicle's TPMS functioning properly. NHTSA's interpretation of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act prohibits service providers from installing aftermarket tires and wheels on your vehicle without working TPMS sensors."

It's my understanding that a lot of people order these wheels for early 2000's Focus, getting around tpms requirements. I've triggered my tpms twice in 2 years and avoided shredding a couple tires or bending rims, so I'll be keeping them.

rexdriver85

So, let me understand - are they willing to mount, balance and ship to the end user without TPMS?

"Installation of Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) sensors in your new wheels is required to keep your vehicle's TPMS functioning properly. NHTSA's interpretation of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act prohibits service providers from installing aftermarket tires and wheels on your vehicle without working TPMS sensors."
What you can do is order a winter package for a 2000 focus on Tirerack. Everything is the same as our car. This will get around the TPMS requirement that Tirerack has. If you order for your FiST you will be required to purchase the sensors if you want them to mount and balance them. [emoji106]

I don't have the tpms sensors on my winter tires, and it only triggers a chime and light every so often, not a constant thing, but mine doesn't get out much lol

Tire rack will mount, balance and ship them without TPMS, they just warn you that you need to have TPMS installed.

rexdriver85

Hey guys, just got around to putting on my winter shoes and have a concern.

Wondering is this has happened to anyone else? On the front m, the wheel stud doesn't fully capture all the threads of the lug nuts. The rear does, but barely.

Anyone else have this happen with their steel wheels?

EDIT: The wheels are torqued to 100 ft. Lbs and they are fully seated on the hubs. They clear the calipers just fine also.

FRONT

REAR

PhoenixM3

I just bought from Discount Tire Direct and there were no issues mounting and balancing my winter setup w/o the TPMS.

PhoenixM3

Hey guys, just got around to putting on my winter shoes and have a concern.

Wondering is this has happened to anyone else? On the front m, the wheel stud doesn't fully capture all the threads of the lug nuts. The rear does, but barely.

Anyone else have this happen with their steel wheels?

EDIT: The wheels are torqued to 100 ft. Lbs and they are fully seated on the hubs. They clear the calipers just fine also.

FRONT

REAR
I know you say that the fronts are seated, but it doesn't appear to be.... I'll be looking at mine closer now.

rexdriver85

I know you say that the fronts are seated, but it doesn't appear to be.... I'll be looking at mine closer now.
They are seated, road tested and everything feels fine. No wobbly wheels, no anything.

I do notice that the center of the hub is flush with the hub bore on the rear, but not the front.

Just don't get why.

PhoenixM3

They are seated, road tested and everything feels fine. No wobbly wheels, no anything.

I do notice that the center of the hub is flush with the hub bore on the rear, but not the front.

Just don't get why.
I left this thread up on the computer last night, then this morning, I checked mine. They appear EXACTLY as yours do. The front lugnuts have about 1 thread before they are completely engaged.

rexdriver85

I left this thread up on the computer last night, then this morning, I checked mine. They appear EXACTLY as yours do. The front lugnuts have about 1 thread before they are completely engaged.
Isn't that interesting. Thank you for looking. At least it's not just me. How many miles do you have on it since you put on the steelies? In other words... Thinking it will be okay but just looks unsettling.

Anyone else care to take a gander at theirs?