Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Getting Dealership to Replicate Overheating

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Maybe I got the hookups because I'm the only person in OC that doesn't yell :p

I bring 'em donuts and stuff.
Operative words here OC, aka I expect to be pampered. Lol seriously jokes aside if its around Irvine? I am not a bit surprised the amount of money floating around there it would make sense. People expect it.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Operative words here OC, aka I expect to be pampered. Lol seriously jokes aside if its around Irvine? I am not a bit surprised the amount of money floating around there it would make sense. People expect it.
Probably, the Ford dealership treats me nicer than the Alfa one did. They were only nice up until the car was purchased, then it was "oh more check engine lights?" :p

Just a thought - if you have access to a flir camera you could probably snap a few pics of your radiator to look for cold spots, that'll be a decent way to find out if there's an internal blockage. I don't have one anymore but it *was* a super handy thing to have for finding uninsulated walls, plumbing blockages, etc. without having to do "surgery".

Also, it's fun to pee while watching through flir - 10/10 would buy again.

To play devil's advocate, they really can't get warranty reimbursement/authorization if they can't replicate an issue, and "intermittent" issues are just as (if not more) frustrating for them than they are for you. Often they believe you and want to help you, but if they don't meet certain criteria for replication of the issue the tech can be disciplined or fired for filing a claim without meeting those criteria - they can't acknowledge they believe you because they *have* to side with their company. Calling ford customer care and making a case with them (fully documented of course) doesn't necessarily get a dealership in trouble, sometimes it simply gets them an authorization to replace a part while bypassing the issue replication criteria.

Chances are the techs working on these cars *know* the radiators are undersized, but if they can't replicate the issue their hands are tied. I don't know what Ford might do to fix it (lower temp t-stat?) but it's probably worth calling customer care. I'd make it a case of "this issue happens but the dealership can't replicate it" and not a "the dealership is horrible blah blah" - I've always had better luck obtaining "exceptions" when sticking to the facts and leaving my feelings about a dealership out of it.

The techs:

to be honest i have been looking for an opportunity to use that picture
Got my car back last weekend, dealership couldn't replicate the P0217 CEL, but they flush the coolant system and was told "tech found a bubble". Worked fine all week till i was stuck in traffic and BAM...overheat limp mode again. I turned off my A/C and it was back to normal. The first time I got the P0217 Overheat CEL, i was running a Strat Tune, so I had to flash back to stock before bringing it into the dealership, which of course clears all DCT errors so the couldn't verify the CEL.

I left the tune off since I got it back last week, and this time the CEL came back on stock tune, so hopefully when they scan for errors this time they can see the CEL as proof (which I actually can view via COBB AP). I was cool with the dealership not really addressing the issue the first time cause they couldn't replicate the overheating and there was no CELs, but this time it will be on them if they don't fix it.

And before I get blasted for not just upgrading my Radiator (which i plan on doing along with all the other stuff i've bought that has been waiting for installation prior to the overheating issues) my car is a 2017 and still under warranty; because the last thing i want is for them to NOT address the overheating problems and then blame all the other mods that I will eventually get installed. I'll give an update after I drop it off tomorrow.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Got my car back last weekend, dealership couldn't replicate the P0217 CEL, but they flush the coolant system and was told "tech found a bubble". Worked fine all week till i was stuck in traffic and BAM...overheat limp mode again. I turned off my A/C and it was back to normal. The first time I got the P0217 Overheat CEL, i was running a Strat Tune, so I had to flash back to stock before bringing it into the dealership, which of course clears all DCT errors so the couldn't verify the CEL.

I left the tune off since I got it back last week, and this time the CEL came back on stock tune, so hopefully when they scan for errors this time they can see the CEL as proof (which I actually can view via COBB AP). I was cool with the dealership not really addressing the issue the first time cause they couldn't replicate the overheating and there was no CELs, but this time it will be on them if they don't fix it.

And before I get blasted for not just upgrading my Radiator (which i plan on doing along with all the other stuff i've bought that has been waiting for installation prior to the overheating issues) my car is a 2017 and still under warranty; because the last thing i want is for them to NOT address the overheating problems and then blame all the other mods that I will eventually get installed. I'll give an update after I drop it off tomorrow.
I do not think anyone would blast you. They might suggest doing the radiator. Though totally get the whole its a warranty deal. If I had my stock rad still and that happened I would totally feel how you do.

Good luck man.

Update;

Got the car back and been running it in 105 degrees 1.5 hour traffic.... Fixed! (So far)

Dealership finally listened to my suggestion about temp sensors, and lo and behold ... fixed.