Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Going back and forth between FiST and FoST. Help me out.

I keep going back and forth between the two, I know I'll end up with one here in the next few weeks but I can't make up my mind. I've only been able to test drive a '15 FoST ST2 and it was really nice, but no on locally has a FiST for me to try out.

Conveniently, a dealer about 80 miles from me has a CPO '14 FiST w/ 8k miles on it, fully loaded for $19,600. They also have a new '14 FoST ST3 minus moonroof for $27,900, but it's been sitting on the lot since October so I think I can get more taken off, plus there are about $3.5k worth of incentives available to me on a new '14 FoST

I'm sure some of you cross shopped these two, I'd love your opinions on both and how you came to your buying decision.

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
Only you can decide between the two. The FoST is bigger, heavier, roomier, more power and excellent handling. The FiST has great power for its weight and size, tighter interior super excellent handling ,highly tossable and makes you feel connected to it like an extension of your body which is why I bought a FiST. You have to drive both yourself and decide whats for you. I dont recommend a FiST if you will be driving a family in it daily.

Test drove both and bought the FiST. Didn't care for the FoST at all. Felt numb and heavy. Also did not like the visiblity /large center pillar kept getting in the way. I had a 03 Foucs SVT and loved it and was hopping the FoST would fell the same, but the FiST felt more like my SVT when it came to fun factor on back roads.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Test drove both and bought the FiST. Didn't care for the FoST at all. Felt numb and heavy. Also did not like the visiblity /large center pillar kept getting in the way. I had a 03 Foucs SVT and loved it and was hopping the FoST would fell the same, but the FiST felt more like my SVT when it came to fun factor on back roads.
Everything keeps getting bigger, that's the problem.

I was in an accident that took the life of my '99 Civic SiR. The connectivity in that car was amazing - you felt part of it and in the twisties it was a blast to drive. The FiST seemed to be the only vehicle that had a size relatively comparable to the old Civic - perhaps a Golf but I'm not a VW guy. Shit, I was barely a Ford guy before this little bucket.

The quality of their product has improved greatly in the past years - Ford was never on my radar (for vehicle purchase) before the ST line. I buy cars and keep them, this FiST is sticking around for a while, I hope.

OP
P
Thread Starter #6
I think what's really keeping me from buying the FiST and what turns me towards the FoST is the interior appointments. The Focus will be more upscale than the FiST and not that my current ride is luxurious but it was well appointed when new and has things from 98 that the FiST lacks, such as one touch passenger window and a global close feature. Granted my VW needed you to physically turn the key in the lock for it to function but it was still included in 1998.

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
I think what's really keeping me from buying the FiST and what turns me towards the FoST is the interior appointments. The Focus will be more upscale than the FiST and not that my current ride is luxurious but it was well appointed when new and has things from 98 that the FiST lacks, such as one touch passenger window and a global close feature. Granted my VW needed you to physically turn the key in the lock for it to function but it was still included in 1998.
I feel you, coming From a minty 06 Acura TL to the FiST had me depressed for a couple weeks but only when I wasnt driving it lol. When jumping in the fist nothing on my mind but how fun it is to drive. When I would be home then the thoughts and depression of giving up my TL would kick in. Only last a couple weeks though. I miss my TL more in the winter tho. Auto start boy do i miss it.

I was once in the same position, showed up on a ford lot to test drive the FoST, they had one which was a st1 package and when I was driving it, it felt like my suv I was trading in, granted it was more power and a car but the feel was the same from the drivers seat in my opinion. I thought it would be more sports car inspired but it wasn't. Then my salesman says here try the FiST. I didn't even know they had made one let alone drive one so I figured why not. Im here.

Once I drove it, it reminded me of the raw driver to car feel my evo 9 had. No expensive interiors, basic yet tasteful in features. I mean if you ask most of us that bought the car we didn't buy the FiST for its radio or blu tooth. We bought it for the connection we felt when driving it compared to any other car we had that feeling from before.

The decision is ultimately yours and your the one that has to drive it everyday. After driving both if you ever make the trip, make a list of the pros and cons of what you feel you like about each car and then at the end decide which things you can live with, and which things you can live without.

Coming from a base SUV my FiST is fully loaded and has more standard equipment than any car I had ever purchased before, would I have ordered it that way no, but it was a deal I couldn't pass up. After owning and modding the FiST I couldn't be happier with the decision. Good luck in whichever car you pick =)

As others have said, it's all up to what you want. But I will give you some points to consider that will hopefully help. First, decide what kind of driving experience you want compared to the conditions you normally drive in.

Lots of city driving and/or not going to have more than one passenger very often? The FiST is smaller and easier to navigate in city traffic with more than enough grunt to pass or muscle your way into a lane if need be. Conversely, if you take a decent amount of highway trips or need to regularly move people, the FoST has more room and a more compliant ride for the highway (from what I understand, at least. I've never driven or rode in one).

As for features, the FiST comes pretty fully loaded with only 4 options, all of which can be gotten by themselves. The FoST falls prey to the common practice of forcing you to get things you may not want to get the option you do want. I was seriously considering a FoST until I went to the Ford website to option one out. In order to get the MFT (which I wanted), I had to get Recaros (which I didn't) which raised the price a significant amount and put it out of my price range. You just need to sit down and figure out if the amenities you want (such as the auto down window and global open you mentioned) are worth the price premium of the FoST over the FiST.

All in all, both cars are very good at what they are sold for. The best advice I can give you is to first decide what you want out of any car, set a price range, the compare the cars you narrow it down to and decide if the price difference between those cars is worth the difference in performance, options, etc.

FistSt215

I bought my fist because I couldn't afford the FosT lol. They had a fully loaded tangerine scream yellow FosT for 31k MSRP . I got my 15 tuxedo deliver from another dealership same chain though. 23,700 with the recaro option and with all the ford incentives it brought it down to 21,995. Can't beat that!! It's a fun little car. My only complain along with other members and owners is that the shifter sits to low. That's why I pirchase the dead hook motorsports extension .

dyn085

2000 Post Club
What I posted on FB this morning, which seems to have been well received-

The FoST beats the FiST in every performance category except for braking. It's faster, has more grip, is larger, is more nicely equipped, and can be found in many places for the same price when comparably equipped (ST2 v. Loaded FiST) due to incentives. The passenger compartment is larger, so if you have a family make sure you sit everyone in both models.

The FiST gets better fuel mileage and has a more lively and connected 'feel'. It's arguably more fun under the speed limit and the FoST is extremely numb by comparison. It's shorter wheelbase and stiff springs make it a bitch to be in for extended drives but a great city car. It's slower through corners, but it plasters a larger smile across your face.

A stage 3 FiST is just a touch faster than a stock FoST, but both have big turbo examples running comparable times. Aside from big turbo, every other comparable stage results in the FoST blowing the FiST's doors off. Both have good aftermarket support, though the FoST does have a slight edge there as well.

It really depends on what you intend on using the car for and what your needs are. The cars are very similar with very different personalities and characteristics. Definitely try to get a decent test-drive in both.

OP
P
Thread Starter #12
I appreciate all the responses I've gotten so far.

I'll need to test drive the FiST but as of now I'm leaning in that direction because its cheaper, and the color I wanted anyway vs. the FoST which is an ST3 meaning leather and in FL where its summer 95% of the time it may get annoying plus the listed price is nearly $10k more and that's a lot of money.

I appreciate all the responses I've gotten so far.

I'll need to test drive the FiST but as of now I'm leaning in that direction because its cheaper, and the color I wanted anyway vs. the FoST which is an ST3 meaning leather and in FL where its summer 95% of the time it may get annoying plus the listed price is nearly $10k more and that's a lot of money.
Very good point you stated about leather seats! I ordered my FiST and wait it to arrive maybe today, feeling very excited :)

I would have been happy with either one. Got the 2015 FiST. I wanted the FoST when I heard about it , but we just bought a $30K Escape for my wife, so lesser cost was the only way I could justify even getting a new car at all. I also chose the FiST because I like small zippy cars. At 5'10", I feel like I'm in a cockpit, and I enjoy that. At the same time, on the highway, I feel everything... when I start to bounce up and down on warped portions if the highway roads, I feel a little embarrassed... Not sure if anybody can see me bouncing. Also, I have to play slalom with potholes and sewer covers, tho that's fun since it's so nimble and tight. My 7 year old daughter loves it. My wife would have preferred I get automatic since she can't drive shift. But at the end of the day, we both drive the car that makes us happy. Again, I would have bought either one. But I would have had to wait 2-3 more years to justify paying 25-30K. 21K was doable.

I bought my FiST new and about 7 months later, found a new PB FoST for $1000 less than I paid for my FiST. When I drove the Focus, I liked the feel, layout, and appreciated the higher quality interior, but youre dead on with the numb an disconnected feel. FiST may not be as fast, but theresa reason why it made 2014s #5 (or 6, cant remember) in the list of drivers cars, ranking with the likes of the new Z28 and other super performace cars...its the feel of it that kept me in it. I also traded out of it for a 14 Hemi Challanger and 8 days later got my Fiesta back. May not be the fastest car on the road, but it is one of the best driving experiences youll get for the coin. uploadfromtaptalk1427312520212.jpg

OP
P
Thread Starter #16
Test drove both today back to back. A few observations, the FoST is definitely more refined, but it also feels really heavy, even though it isn't that heavy. FiST has a slightly harsher ride, but it isn't bad IMO, definitely a sportier car than I'm used to however.

I really wanted the FoST just because it is slightly more upscale, but they wouldn't budge off $27k even though they have three '14s and three '15s. Oh well.

I made an offer on the FiST, but due to complications with my current car's title I couldn't do the deal today. Of course because it's the end of the month they really wanted me to buy it now but I offered to put a deposit down if they'd hold it until I could get back there on the 2nd, but they wouldn't because of the end of the month. So if they don't sell it over the weekend (which they might, and that's ok) I'll be picking it up late next week.

For those curious I offered $19,500 and for them to throw in a set of all-weather floor mats, their counter was yes to the floor mats no to the price but they'll up my trade by $100. All in all, I'm happy with the price and *crossing fingers* next week I'll be a proud 2014 IS FiST owner.

Oh, they also said I could purchase an extended warranty for like 800 bucks. It'll extend the bumper-to-bumper/comprehensive warranty to 7/75k I believe he said. Good idea? Should I pass or maybe try to get it cheaper?

OP
P
Thread Starter #19
I was offered a brand new FoST for $19,600. Shop around and youll get a better deal. CarGurus is a great place to start
There aren't any new FiSTs in my area. It does have every option available, minus the painted Rados, but I don't think it's a bad deal but I do plan to keep looking regardless in case they do sell it before I have a chance to get back over there.