Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Internal or external G25 550

OP
A
Thread Starter #21
Hi all,

Just reviving the thread again. I have checked out the possible options of the G25 550 - there are a few of which one can choose, and because I want to stay internally gated, I did see there was a .49AR option that looks like this.

T25 option with .49 AR turbine housing
1662719279046.png
Or this VBand option
1662719326503.png

I must say it looks amazing
1662719363203.png

I hope the smaller AR should give me a bit more streetability (Spooltime) - any know of people who have tested the smaller housing? Should I be able to see 400HP?

Can someone also please explain to me the Graph below? Would choosing the smaller AR be good or bad?
1662719504640.png

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
End up with an ATP type adapter* Or have someone weld an V--band flange on the stock one* Others have done this with success.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
If it was me id be going external wastegate* Better boost control.....easier to change actuator springs also

Hi all,

Just reviving the thread again. I have checked out the possible options of the G25 550 - there are a few of which one can choose, and because I want to stay internally gated, I did see there was a .49AR option that looks like this.

T25 option with .49 AR turbine housing
View attachment 51260
Or this VBand option
View attachment 51261

I must say it looks amazing
View attachment 51262

I hope the smaller AR should give me a bit more streetability (Spooltime) - any know of people who have tested the smaller housing? Should I be able to see 400HP?

Can someone also please explain to me the Graph below? Would choosing the smaller AR be good or bad?
View attachment 51263
Any reason for going IWG instead of external? There are endless benefits of external and basically zero cons.

OP
A
Thread Starter #28
Any reason for going IWG instead of external? There are endless benefits of external and basically zero cons.
Honestly it will be a straight swop with my current setup with no change. Also, the IWG G25 is the only one that has the 0.49 Turbine Housing which might aid my search for better spoolup while still having topend pull.
What I have also heard from a local turbo guy here in SA, the IWG setup by design should be a bit more responsive. I have also searched around the internet and could not find one single person that has results of the 0.49 AR setup, so I might be the first to test the waters and see if it has the desired resutls

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Honestly it will be a straight swop with my current setup with no change. Also, the IWG G25 is the only one that has the 0.49 Turbine Housing which might aid my search for better spoolup while still having topend pull.
What I have also heard from a local turbo guy here in SA, the IWG setup by design should be a bit more responsive. I have also searched around the internet and could not find one single person that has results of the 0.49 AR setup, so I might be the first to test the waters and see if it has the desired resutls
watching this with interest from the g25 charts I have seen on the web these things spool crazy fast.

Last edited:
OP
A
Thread Starter #30
Below is the results of my GTX 2563R setup, this is at altitude (4,393 ft) with WMI and E30 ish mix. The peak boost is around 4800-5000rpm which in my opinion is very laggy on a "smaller" turbo. From some of the Graphs I have seen from @xxiaze and his G25 setup, spool should be somewhat sooner. I think @MO15Fiesta can also share your experience on this?

1663053945119.png

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Your altitude plays a large part in this as the air is thinner than near sea level. I think that it might not be that much better with an updated Turbo setup.

My old car spooled good for what it was, the difference between cold winter air and hot summer air made over 500rpm difference in spool. I will say, the s280 spools way faster and is much more fun to drive around town. It trapped 116mph at the track last weekend so we're only 5mph short of what my g25 did and I still need to add the high pressure fuel pump.

OP
A
Thread Starter #33
My old car spooled good for what it was, the difference between cold winter air and hot summer air made over 500rpm difference in spool. I will say, the s280 spools way faster and is much more fun to drive around town. It trapped 116mph at the track last weekend so we're only 5mph short of what my g25 did and I still need to add the high pressure fuel pump.
Thanks for the info! It will be interesting too see what the diff is going to be. The IWG 0.49 AR should in theorie spool quickly as well, but obviously time will tell. The reason why I am also leaning more towards the G25 550, is the cost of a G25 locally is cheaper than a S280 imported.

but all things considered, I hope to see good results once switching. The Stock manifold thats ported should also help met a bit, I have seen multiple results where tubular manifolds don't really aid in the spool time department, but rather flow up top.

Quick question, are you running the Pumaspeed uprated injectors? And also which HPFP are you going? Is there an alternative to the XDI one

Thanks for the info! It will be interesting too see what the diff is going to be. The IWG 0.49 AR should in theorie spool quickly as well, but obviously time will tell. The reason why I am also leaning more towards the G25 550, is the cost of a G25 locally is cheaper than a S280 imported.

but all things considered, I hope to see good results once switching. The Stock manifold thats ported should also help met a bit, I have seen multiple results where tubular manifolds don't really aid in the spool time department, but rather flow up top.

Quick question, are you running the Pumaspeed uprated injectors? And also which HPFP are you going? Is there an alternative to the XDI one
No, personally would never run anything from them. I have the bosch 30% uprated injectors from Whoosh. Will be going the XDI pump when they are readily available. No alternative that I know of yet.

OP
A
Thread Starter #35
No, personally would never run anything from them. I have the bosch 30% uprated injectors from Whoosh. Will be going the XDI pump when they are readily available. No alternative that I know of yet.
Awesome - checked some of your vids on youtube over the weekend on the drag strip! Sure looks like you are moving, but bogging a bit from the launch, or was it just due to the grip levels? What tyres are you running on the strip?

Awesome - checked some of your vids on youtube over the weekend on the drag strip! Sure looks like you are moving, but bogging a bit from the launch, or was it just due to the grip levels? What tyres are you running on the strip?
Thanks for checking it out! The launch definitely has room for improvement, but I am still on stock size tires and I was using the cobb traction control to help minimize wheel spin. I am running Falken rt615k+ tires at the moment.

OP
A
Thread Starter #37
Just updating the post a bit - pulled the trigger and getting an "alternative" turbo. Going to try out the Pulsar Turbo option with the 0.49 AR Turbine housing that is IWG. Shipping hopefully in the next 2 weeks time. Will post some pictures and show the gains in the end

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Just updating the post a bit - pulled the trigger and getting an "alternative" turbo. Going to try out the Pulsar Turbo option with the 0.49 AR Turbine housing that is IWG. Shipping hopefully in the next 2 weeks time. Will post some pictures and show the gains in the end
IWG...I will NEVER go back to IWG. Now that I have gone EWG in the DHM360R I run now. EWGs are more reliable also than IWGs and offer better higher performance But to each there own I guess....I'm surer you will love what you got going! Enjoy!

OP
A
Thread Starter #39
IWG...I will NEVER go back to IWG. Now that I have gone EWG in the DHM360R I run now. EWGs are more reliable also than IWGs and offer better higher performance But to each there own I guess....I'm surer you will love what you got going! Enjoy!
I believe that the EWG would probably be the best bet, but to do all the plumbing and changes is just a bit out of budget. IWG is easy because because I opted for the Vband option so can literally change out turbo in like 15min if needed. Depending on what power I am getting in the end, will determine if i might need to go EWG route.

Do you know what Turbine housing you are uisng in terms of AR rating? probably the 0.72 one?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I believe that the EWG would probably be the best bet, but to do all the plumbing and changes is just a bit out of budget. IWG is easy because because I opted for the Vband option so can literally change out turbo in like 15min if needed. Depending on what power I am getting in the end, will determine if i might need to go EWG route.

Do you know what Turbine housing you are uisng in terms of AR rating? probably the 0.72 one?
My exhaust housing is the SS TIAL .52. it's perfect and spool is pretty much instant coming from a ATP .64 Gen2 GTX2860