Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Need advice. Time for a new turbo?

Hello everyone. I need some help and hopefully some guidance on where to go from here.

To start with, I have a 2017 USDM Fiesta ST with 46k. In March of this past year, I finally pulled the trigger and sprung for Cobb's "Stage 3 Power Pack" Which includes an intake, uprated intercooler, highflow catted down pipe, catback exhaust, Rear motor mount, tune and all the tubing and parts to go along with it. Other than these parts the car is stock and I am currently running the COBB stage 0 tune just for data logging until I can get my custom tune.

Well, after MONTHS of waiting for the downpipe, it finally arrived and I ended up installing all of it this past weekend. Since then I have noticed smoke coming from my tailpipe, but only sometimes at idle after the car is warm. For instance, if I am driving down the road and come to a stop at a light, sometimes there will be no smoke at all, sometimes there will be a wisp of smoke and sometimes there will be a noticeable cloud wafting past my windows. If I apply throttle and get the revs to ~1500 and hold it, the smoke stops completely.

I went back over my work and noticed a couple little things I had messed up, like a PCV hose that I had kinked and a hose clamp that had slipped off of the turbo air intake side and for a few hours I thought that I had fixed it. I drove around town and didn't see any smoke at all. But then it came back. My investigation eventually took me under the car, where when looking at the turbo, I can see some oil on the exterior of the compressor side. I removed the turbo oil drain hose and looked inside of it for any obvious sings of obstruction, but came up empty handed.

So I'm not sure where to go from here, obviously there is oil getting through the turbo and into the exhaust and the first thing that springs to mind, is the turbo bearings and seals, however, I haven't noticed any high pitch whine from bearing failure, the smoke stops under acceleration (wouldn't it get worse with a failing turbo?) and as near as I can tell, my boost seems to be there, ramping up under acceleration, peaking at 20psi around 4000rpm and dropping slightly after.

I'm reaching out to get some more opinions before I drop $$$$ on a new turbo.

I'll throw in a WOT datalog in case anybody can infer anything from that

https://datazap.me/u/elshupacabra/824?log=2&data=5-8-32

Thanks

haste

1000 Post Club
Sounds exactly like the symptoms my buddy had with his whoosh hybrid. Random smoking, sometimes not at all. Drive it easy and it would smoke. Drive it hard and it wouldn't smoke, etc. The car drove perfectly fine otherwise.

He replaced the turbo and has no more smoking issues.

Mikey456

I would reverse the mods you made till you can isolate the problem. The car might not like a stock tune with a aftermarket down pipe. Was the turbo an issue when the car was stock?