Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Review; FiST vs FoST

OP
KWeaver
Thread Starter #21
like the one I wrote is not? You are coming off as kinda of condescending with that comment.
My reply was well thought out It’s what I did and how I felt sorry it did touch you. lol
You write about control switches and whatnot , ya having owned a Focus some of the switches may be in a better place the interior is a little nicer. Though what I give up to get that? A car that drives nice but does not put a smile on mu face almost everytime I drive it.

The FiST is a drivers car. Go look at the European side of things see which car is more popular.
Its not about hate of the FoST either, its about the feel it just feels more like a sports vehicle.
Oh and no hate but why do FoRS track guys like Rome Medrano wind up buying FiST’s and tracking them.
It’s again not hate just facts, the Ford WRC car is Fiesta based not Focus based? Why is that? Again not hate but facts , you seem to be possibly equating facts to hate because ya FiST drivers are pretty passionate about our cars.
They are that fun and in my book more fun that a Focus. Again no hate.
You should go back and re-read your initial post. About half of your comments were arguments of FiST superiority based solely on your opinion. It is what it is I guess; not sure why you didn't like my reply to your comments.

As I stated, Motor Trend (and also R&T) have the FoST pulling marginally higher g's. You know what this tells me; that to the average enthusiast these cars perform in a similar manner in the curves. Which was my initial assessment.......

As far as torque steer goes; I admitted the FoST has a fair amount of it. If I truly thought you had "touched" me I would have said that your "crazy amounts of torque steer" comment was hyperbole; at best.....

As far as fun factor; I'm sorry to tell you but their both fun. I could even make the argument that the FoST is MORE fun because, unless you live in the country, you'll get to enjoy straight line acceleration MUCH for often than handling. :)

If those guys you mentioned all run FiSTs, great!

OP
KWeaver
Thread Starter #23
Also, don't get defensive, I love my FiST and I can't wait to start digging into it. Heck, it's why we got it! The wife was adamant that our FoST was staying stock!
?????

Let me also reiterate; "one" of the reasons I started this thread was to figure out why people hate on the FoST so much. It is "arguably" the superior vehicle in stock form. Obviously, we can debate this BUT, you simply can't say a FoST is a PoS and a FiST is factually better.

I really like my (our) FiST but, I also really like our FoST.

?????

Let me also reiterate; "one" of the reasons I started this thread was to figure out why people hate on the FoST so much. It is "arguably" the superior vehicle in stock form. Obviously, we can debate this BUT, you simply can't say a FoST is a PoS and a FiST is factually better.

I really like my (our) FiST but, I also really like our FoST.
You should take the exhaust manifold off of the FoST and have it Cerakoted. It will help keep temps down in the engine bay
Edit: It doesn’t come off

Last edited:

Jerickson88

I could see why someone would say the FoST was a better bang out of the box for speed, as it will take alot to get the FiST there, but in practicality the FiST just does it for me.

With it being a slower car, price and gas mileage were just superior to me.

Much more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

My wife was willing to co sign on the FoST, but I was pleased with the FiST, and happily drove it home.

As a matter of fact, I test drove the FoST, and decided on the FiST, without a test drive. I sat in it and said yeah I'll take it.

There is “something” about the FiST and I think it has a lot do with the English and the Germans and all the other people in the ST crew who were given the green light to build it. I fell in love with it from a picture on Ford’s website

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Much more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.
To the uninformed, it sounds like bullshit. But it is 100% true! Nothing worse then having a car that you constantly have to hold back on, for fear of getting arrested or killing yourself and/or a group of people.

As a matter of fact, I test drove the FoST, and decided on the FiST, without a test drive. I sat in it and said yeah I'll take it.
Haha, that's AWESOME!
Like a scene from a movie...
Random dude: "I'll take it" Salesman: "Are you sure you don't want to test drive it first?" Random dude: "Nope, I'm good"

2017 Magnetic FiST w/Recaros

green_henry

1000 Post Club
I miss my FiST. Didn't sell it or anything, just haven't driven it in a couple hours [driving]
I think that sums it up best. I find excuses to drive 8 miles to Lowe's for no good reason. I often take the long way home so that I can take the 25 mph cloverleaf at 45 mph (safely). Love this car :)

Dpro

6000 Post Club
You should go back and re-read your initial post. About half of your comments were arguments of FiST superiority based solely on your opinion. It is what it is I guess; not sure why you didn't like my reply to your comments.

As I stated, Motor Trend (and also R&T) have the FoST pulling marginally higher g's. You know what this tells me; that to the average enthusiast these cars perform in a similar manner in the curves. Which was my initial assessment.......

As far as torque steer goes; I admitted the FoST has a fair amount of it. If I truly thought you had "touched" me I would have said that your "crazy amounts of torque steer" comment was hyperbole; at best.....

As far as fun factor; I'm sorry to tell you but their both fun. I could even make the argument that the FoST is MORE fun because, unless you live in the country, you'll get to enjoy straight line acceleration MUCH for often than handling. :)

If those guys you mentioned all run FiSTs, great!
If I wanted pure straight acceleration I will drive my M3 and have no Torque steer whatsoever
If you are relying on Motor Trend and Road and Track for your car assessments and impressions you need to broaden your Horizons as those publications are not the best for good honest evaluations IMO.
Read some of the UK stuff if you want to go in depth with brutal spot on info.
My comments were based on driving impressions which did give me an opinion but the opinion is backed by the driving impressions refuted by others here who have had the same reaction.
A car can look great on paper even be great but return a clinical feel vs a visceral feel. In fact assuming because you see something on paper it means things must be the same is like being book smart. Real world delivers up more than what is on paper and can change ones analysis.

If you re read my post you would see I did not say I did not completely dislike the FoST in fact I thought it was not bad.

Though the FiST delivered a different driving feeling. It was the this thing is a Go Kart and the point a shoot steering . Sorry but the FoST just does not give that Go Kart feel or the point and shoot precision.
Does not mean it cannot be fun, its just not that immediate put a grin on your face fun that the FiST.
That is real world analysis.
You seem to think this is just I talking this way yet others have echoed this. Even publications all over Europe pretty much every automotive blog on the web and writer has raved about the car even bought it.
It’s just these are facts my opinion has been shaped from.
I drove both and bought a FiST hell you bought a FiST . Which leaves me a bit baffled given your stance in the thread.
If you love the FoST great fine , its a good car but I would never buy one .I would consider a FoRS but not at the expense of my FiST.
Does it mean it can’t be fun? No, but does mean the conclusion is the FiST is even more fun so much fun its ridiculous. So much cornering ability its wild.
Typically people under estimate this car until they have really driven it hard in the twisties.
as far as your comment goes you approved when you got a comment you wanted to hear. Anything else was not valid in your book. You pretty much stated that as well with the opening comment about Clits comments.
I have driven many fun cars in my life many fast cars and some legendary ones as well. I can pretty much state the FiST is one of the most fun cars of all them.
I cannot say that about the FoST ya call it my opinion but guess what I have lots of experience with sports cars. I drove the FoST I drove the FiST I bought the FiST hmm.
like I said earlier YMMV .( your mileage may vary) Though in the end the FiST is far more fun to drive and I am not the only one that feels that way.

OP
KWeaver
Thread Starter #32
If I wanted pure straight acceleration I will drive my M3 and have no Torque steer whatsoever
If you are relying on Motor Trend and Road and Track for your car assessments and impressions you need to broaden your Horizons as those publications are not the best for good honest evaluations IMO.
Read some of the UK stuff if you want to go in depth with brutal spot on info.
My comments were based on driving impressions which did give me an opinion but the opinion is backed by the driving impressions refuted by others here who have had the same reaction.
A car can look great on paper even be great but return a clinical feel vs a visceral feel. In fact assuming because you see something on paper it means things must be the same is like being book smart. Real world delivers up more than what is on paper and can change ones analysis.

If you re read my post you would see I did not say I did not completely dislike the FoST in fact I thought it was not bad.

Though the FiST delivered a different driving feeling. It was the this thing is a Go Kart and the point a shoot steering . Sorry but the FoST just does not give that Go Kart feel or the point and shoot precision.
Does not mean it cannot be fun, its just not that immediate put a grin on your face fun that the FiST.
That is real world analysis.
You seem to think this is just I talking this way yet others have echoed this. Even publications all over Europe pretty much every automotive blog on the web and writer has raved about the car even bought it.
It’s just these are facts my opinion has been shaped from.
I drove both and bought a FiST hell you bought a FiST . Which leaves me a bit baffled given your stance in the thread.
If you love the FoST great fine , its a good car but I would never buy one .I would consider a FoRS but not at the expense of my FiST.
Does it mean it can’t be fun? No, but does mean the conclusion is the FiST is even more fun so much fun its ridiculous. So much cornering ability its wild.
Typically people under estimate this car until they have really driven it hard in the twisties.
as far as your comment goes you approved when you got a comment you wanted to hear. Anything else was not valid in your book. You pretty much stated that as well with the opening comment about Clits comments.
I have driven many fun cars in my life many fast cars and some legendary ones as well. I can pretty much state the FiST is one of the most fun cars of all them.
I cannot say that about the FoST ya call it my opinion but guess what I have lots of experience with sports cars. I drove the FoST I drove the FiST I bought the FiST hmm.
like I said earlier YMMV .( your mileage may vary) Though in the end the FiST is far more fun to drive and I am not the only one that feels that way.
OK, I'm not relying on anyone's assessment of the respective cars; I'm conveying my own..... I own both vehicles and drive them both fairly regularly. I'm only pointing to two sources (which you can easily verify) to back up my claims. As I stated in my initial post; these cars perform in a similar manner in the turns. I didn't say they were equal; similar. This was surprising BECAUSE the FiST is touted as far superior to the FoST in this category.

After having read through the comments, I tried to find some head to head comparison videos. Maybe I'm subconsciously biased, maybe I'm just becoming overtly defensive of our "other" car.

This is the 1st vid that comes up when I youtube "Focus ST vs. Fiesta ST" The guy prefers the FoST for all the reasons I stated.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNBJvHqogQ8

This is the 6th video. This guy is at the Octane Academy driving both and says he prefers the FiST on the street and the FoST on the track!!!!!
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quzS3cGC6vQ

This is the 10th Video. One goes into the test preferring the FoST and the other the FiST. By the end of it, the FiST backer grudgingly admits the FoST is better in most aspects.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZJVdeUp3lA

Granted these are all vids from regular enthusiasts (not professionals) but, that's what we are right?? Maybe there are some serious racers on here who prefer a FiST because it is better platform. As I have already acknowledged, because of it's size/weight the FiST probably IS a better platform for autoX

I don't know why you are "baffled" as to why I bought a FiST; it's a great car and a superb value. It's just not (in my opinion) better than a FoST in stock form. That isn't a knock on it either. A FoST isn't as good as a GTI which isn't as good as a Type R, which..... isn't as good as an RS (arguable).

What really astonishes me (and the reason I keep replying) is how many of you say you drove both cars before making your purchase and, truly felt the FiST was superior. Again, I'm not knocking the FiST but, at this point, I am defending the FoST.

To you specifically (Dpro), you keep saying "people" prefer the FiST; I have had a hard time finding ANY head to head comparisons where a stock FiST was judged demonstrably superior to a FoST. I'm not calling you out either; I'm sure they are out there and I would truly like to read/view them.

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
I test drove 3 cars: 2019 FiST, 2019 Elantra GT N-line and 2019 Mahhhzda 3. I never test drove a used FoST and had no interest in test driving one. I read a metric tonful of feedback from owners and journalist, in type and youtube, from everybody on the FiST forums. Sources from the US, England and eslewhere, I chose to purchase the FiST. Yes, yes, yes, being the last year did sway me slightly and I swore I would never buy another new car (just my 2nd one now at 58yo. The first was an '87 Ranger supercab V6). If I had money, an Aussie Holden/Chevy SS is top on my list though, or a Maloo.

Back to the point.....I wanted the same thing EVERY SINGLE F'N FiST owner wanted: A small car that provided a superior FUN.......FUN DRIVING EXPERIENCE that was INEXPENSIVE to buy, operate, maintain and upgrade myself. (insert mic drop...)

There are certain things that need to be addressed and fixed on both cars. Once these problems are fixed they are both great. In the end the FiST has better proportions, is lighter and looks better. Once modded, the performance and handling shit talking will never end and who cares. See you on the Tail!

Jerickson88

If you're baffled why we chose the FiST over the FoST, maybe you should look at your own driveway. Why didnt you just buy another FoST? Seems to have fit your bag of giggles better.

Since selling my Tahoe 3 weeks ago, we have put 1,200 miles on the FiST. Riding 4 deep, sometimes 5.

This is by choice. We certainly have the means for larger and or faster cars. We have a bigger car still. And we choose the FiST.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I test drove 3 cars: 2019 FiST, 2019 Elantra GT N-line and 2019 Mahhhzda 3. I never test drove a used FoST and had no interest in test driving one. I read a metric tonful of feedback from owners and journalist, in type and youtube, from everybody on the FiST forums. Sources from the US, England and eslewhere, I chose to purchase the FiST. Yes, yes, yes, being the last year did sway me slightly and I swore I would never buy another new car (just my 2nd one now at 58yo. The first was an '87 Ranger supercab V6). If I had money, an Aussie Holden/Chevy SS is top on my list though, or a Maloo.

Back to the point.....I wanted the same thing EVERY SINGLE F'N FiST owner wanted: A small car that provided a superior FUN.......FUN DRIVING EXPERIENCE that was INEXPENSIVE to buy, operate, maintain and upgrade myself. (insert mic drop...)
Sidebar - for what it was, how good is the Mazda 3 to drive? It’s so nice to drive for a basic daily!

If you're baffled why we chose the FiST over the FoST, maybe you should look at your own driveway. Why didnt you just buy another FoST? Seems to have fit your bag of giggles better.

Since selling my Tahoe 3 weeks ago, we have put 1,200 miles on the FiST. Riding 4 deep, sometimes 5.

This is by choice. We certainly have the means for larger and or faster cars. We have a bigger car still. And we choose the FiST.
His wife won’t let him mod the FoST so he bought the FiST to mod

Jerickson88

His wife won’t let him mod the FoST so he bought the FiST to mod
So, wait, you buy the inferior car to mod? That makes so much sense!

I've left my wife's '16 civic alone. Hell the dealer has been doing every service. We have 3 more on the house oil changes.

I'm gonna roof rack it though.

So, wait, you buy the inferior car to mod? That makes so much sense!

I've left my wife's '16 civic alone. Hell the dealer has been doing every service. We have 3 more on the house oil changes.

I'm gonna roof rack it though.
He at least is modding the right car. Give him a chance. He will have the “Oh I get it now” moment eventually

Jerickson88

He at least is modding the right car. Give him a chance. He will have the “Oh I get it now” moment eventually
Takes a bit to rattle around for some I guess!

Maybe that's why I didnt test drive the FiST. I knew I'd want more. But I am happy with my choice.