Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Review; FiST vs FoST

So I've had my FiST for about a month now and I thought I would write up a brief comparison to my FoST (technically my wifes).

Background: both cars are bone stock; 2018 FoST ST1 with 5k miles on it (we live on a military base so we don't drive much at all), 2019 FiST base with around 700 miles. Both cars use 91oct from same gas station I have driven both cars on the same road in virtually identical weather conditions multiple times. There is very little variation in summer weather in North Central California (East-Bay).

And I got to say...... unfortunately........... the FoST is superior in virtually all meaningful ways.

Listen, I REALLY wanted to say the FiST was better in some respects (it's mine after all) and, it probably will be after I mod it. But as they sit right now, the FoST is better in almost every category.

Acceleration - This isn't even close. The FoST is much faster. The FiST "feels" fast but so does the FoST too! In fact, the FoST "feels" faster (ofc right lol).

Handling - This is was where I thought the FiST would clearly be better but, it really wasn't. When I took them both through some twisty's they felt VERY similar. OFC I didn't push them excessively hard but I did push them. The problem is the FoST just accelerates out of turns so much faster than the FiST. Now, after I mod the FiST it probably will handle better but in stock form it's hard to tell the difference and the FoST speed advantage puts it ahead.

Comfort - Also not even close. The FoST rides better, has less road noise, and is more ergonomic. It's slightly longer and wider than the FiST but only enough to really add a bit more hip room. They are both small cars. The FoST trunk is noticeably larger as well.

Aesthetics - I'm biased but I think the FiST looks slightly better :) however they are very similar so kinda hard to say.

Practicality - Both cars are almost exclusively "city" driving and occasional twisty roads (virtually no highway driving) and the FiST does smoke the FoST in fuel economy. We average 23 mpg on the FoST and we got 30 on the second tank in the FiST. I'll also point out that the FoST has a notoriously poor turning radius (about the same as our single Cab Ram truck); the FiST easily beats it in this respect.

Anyway, thought some of you might find this write up interesting! Also, don't get defensive, I love my FiST and I can't wait to start digging into it. Heck, it's why we got it! The wife was adamant that our FoST was staying stock!
You should compare a Miata and a dodge demon next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the post...these are well-thought-out and intelligent observations. Many might disagree, but we each get our opinion and I enjoyed reading yours.

I haven't driven a FoST but I have driven many many cars...friends with great cars have let me have seat time in them, such as a newer Mustang GT, an Audi S3, several STis, a couple Acuras, many Toyotas and Hondas and some vintage cars too like a Fiero GT and my new beater Prelude SH. Many many more...my point is that every time I get back in my Fiesta ST I'm like "Wow this is really a special, well-engineered car." I mean it's special. Special like the 1991 SE-R I owned. Every once in a while a special car comes along, it's just right and you know it. I've owned the FiST for 4 years now and I still feel that way when I get in it especially after driving a different (and in many ways nicer) car. Sure it's not the fastest car and the interior is super simple and (mostly) rental-car grade. But still, the steering, the engine, the visibility, the driving dynamics, the handling, the connection drive gets with road - the FiST is a unique car for sure.

I bet 20 years from now there will be very little memory of the FoST - it's just another variant of the same package you get in a WRX or Mazda speed3 or similar. The FiST, however, will be remembered and celebrated as one of those unique special cars that came, went, had a brief moment of glory and was soon forgotten by the masses, but still held as a treasure by people that actually enjoy cars and appreciate the heart and soul put into a particular car that makes it special. Finding a well-loved FiST in 20 years will be the search for a unicorn. Some of us here might still have theirs...I plan to!!!!
Well said. I agree whole heartedly with your last paragraph. I'm coming from a WRX to my Fiesta ST. My WRX is great and faster than the fiesta no doubt, but there's something really special and fun about the FiST.

Anyway, my two cents to this conversation is that i drove a FoST back in 2014 when I bought my WRX and the WRX won out hands down. WRX laid down it's power better, no torque steer, etc. 5 years later I couldn't resist a FiST. It's a totally different feeling and it's just fun to drive in a whole new way. No need to test drive another FoST.