Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Review; FiST vs FoST

Btw OP, there is such a huge upside to the FiST 👊 once you improve handling and power. Check out Fiesta ST Build Projects in the Forum and you’ll get some ideas

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Yall forget that the fist was in car and drivers 10 best? I believe 6th place. Fost didnt make the cut. Lmao. To each there own. OP prefers the fost, let him. Does not take any joy out of me driving the fist. Me and the wife and baby went out on Friday for an errand. She said she could tell when I was about to corner or take off fast when I get "that grin on my face" haha.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Let’s give him a chance all, he tried to pop in with an a/b comparison in a gesture to inform the community of his views on it. We’re not talking about metered testing (originally), it was purely his perspective on the cars. I’m frankly a little embarrassed as a member of this board when he gets nuked for simply sharing how he felt about the cars. Dudes new, ease up on him! He already had a FoST and chose to get a FiST as well - that makes him a friend to us and we need to act like it.

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
Sidebar - for what it was, how good is the Mazda 3 to drive? It’s so nice to drive for a basic daily!
HATED it (too comfortable, not connected to the feel of the car on the road, interior was...wtf), but the saleslady took me on the old man route. The FiST saleskid took me along the twisties!

Last edited:

DEss

Yall forget that the fist was in car and drivers 10 best? I believe 6th place.
I don't believe c&d ranks their 10 best.

@op There's really no need for you to justify your preference for the focus. I prefer an mx5 but decided the fiesta was a better fit for me financially and practically. Just do you.

DEss

I want to see a review of all the modded
Fiesta ST’s or have a FiST meetup at the Tail after the summer rush and sort things out

Let’s give him a chance all, he tried to pop in with an a/b comparison in a gesture to inform the community of his views on it. We’re not talking about metered testing (originally), it was purely his perspective on the cars. I’m frankly a little embarrassed as a member of this board when he gets nuked for simply sharing how he felt about the cars. Dudes new, ease up on him! He already had a FoST and chose to get a FiST as well - that makes him a friend to us and we need to act like it.
Amen!

You should take the exhaust manifold off of the FoST and have it Cerakoted. It will help keep temps down in the engine bay
Edit: It doesn’t come off
I admit it is a different system, surprised me when I discovered it, but.... what's your point?

I miss my FiST. Didn't sell it or anything, just haven't driven it in a couple hours [driving]
I know what you mean! Felt the same way about my FiST, feel the same way about my FoST; drive 17 hours for work and can't wait to get in my car for the 20 minute drive home!

Put 58K miles on my 2015 OW FiST, 7K on my new (Jan 19) FoST, love them both! They each have their pros and cons.

FiST: Feels fast when you're not really going very fast. Shifter location and feel is perfect. Feels like a larger car when you're in it. Recaros (love 'em) make you kink your left leg awkwardly to put your left foot on the deadpedal. My overall impression is it feels like you're driving a 4 wheeled motorcycle! Traded it because 1) life was not good to it on 4 occasions (keyed twice, backed into once, pickup changed lanes 10 feet in front of me as I was going down a turn lane at 25 mph) 2) watched one of our member videos about 3 cars dragging other cars on track and the big turbo FiST didn't win any races; disappointed. But, I really miss my FiST.

FoST: bigger, quieter, smoother, faster, nicer interior (although I think actually a little less rear seat room), better appointed, more solid overall. Recaros are more adjustable, still kink your left leg a little, but not as much. Shifter feels set higher in the air (feels like a Mustang), probably going to shorten it an inch. My wife has MS and is susceptible to movement; this car is much more acceptable to her, in that respect.

I think the FiST handles better, would be faster on short tight courses; autocrosses.
I believe the FoST is much faster on road courses and tracks (pulls like a bear).
Fist vs FoST on Car & Driver Lightning Laps at VIR 3:20.4 vs 3:17.8 (with the FiST attaining it over the whole weekend and the FoST restricted to just one day).

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a23319884/lightning-lap-times-historical-data/

I found the torque steer could be ludicris on the FiST, literally have to saw the steering wheel wildly side to side to control it (seriously scaring a passenger at one point). I have not experienced the same with My FoST.

Colour me: missing my FiST, loving my FoST!

Last edited:
OP
KWeaver
Thread Starter #52
So I am gonna be a bit facetious / sarcastic for a sec just to get my point across and, illustrate how about half of the posters in this thread are coming across.

ME: You know MT, C&D, and R&T all show the FoST pulls better g's and figure 8's. This kinda backs up my point about similarities in handling.

FiST Forum Community: Those are all irrelevant, get some European sources to learn the TRUTH about the FiST.

ME: OK.....

(Few Post Later)

FiST Com: DON'T FORGET THE FiST WAS VOTED A "10 BEST" BY C&D, LMAO (I JUST OWNED HIM)

ME: Wait, what????

Or another one of my favs.......

ME: So I own them both and, have driven them a fair amount. The FoST is just as fun and arguable performs better (overall). Having said that, I really like them both!

FiST Com: Listen, I test drove a FoST at a dealership (with all the limitations that implies) for about 20-30 minutes so I KNOW for CERTAIN a FiST is more fun; period!

ME: hmmm

And lets not forget..........

FiST Com: EVERYONE says the FiST is better; literally EVERYONE!!!

ME: Links multiple vids of head to head comparisons where the FoST comes out on top (in some or all respects).

FiST Comp: (changes subject)

/Sarcasm off

Anyway, sorry I caused such a fuss. Still, not gonna admit "defeat" and say a FiST is better in stock form (because it isn't). Carry on I guess....

OP
KWeaver
Thread Starter #53
Amen!

I admit it is a different system, surprised me when I discovered it, but.... what's your point?

I know what you mean! Felt the same way about my FiST, feel the same way about my FoST; drive 17 hours for work and can't wait to get in my car for the 20 minute drive home!

Put 58K miles on my 2015 OW FiST, 7K on my new (Jan 19) FoST, love them both! They each have their pros and cons.

FiST: Feels fast when you're not really going very fast. Shifter location and feel is perfect. Feels like a larger car when you're in it. Recaros (love 'em) make you kink your left leg awkwardly to put your left foot on the deadpedal. My overall impression is it feels like you're driving a 4 wheeled motorcycle! Traded it because 1) life was not good to it on 4 occasions (keyed twice, backed into once, pickup changed lanes 10 feet in front of me as I was going down a turn lane at 25 mph) 2) watched one of our member videos about 3 cars dragging other cars on track and the big turbo FiST didn't win any races; disappointed. But, I really miss my FiST.

FoST: bigger, quieter, smoother, faster, nicer interior (although I think actually a little less rear seat room), better appointed, more solid overall. Recaros are more adjustable, still kink your left leg a little, but not as much. Shifter feels set higher in the air (feels like a Mustang), probably going to shorten it an inch. My wife has MS and is susceptible to movement; this car is much more acceptable to her, in that respect.

I think the FiST handles better, would be faster on short tight courses; autocrosses.
I believe the FoST is much faster on road courses and tracks (pulls like a bear).
Fist vs FoST on Car & Driver Lightning Laps at VIR 3:20.4 vs 3:17.8 (with the FiST attaining it over the whole weekend and the FoST restricted to just one day).

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a23319884/lightning-lap-times-historical-data/

I found the torque steer could be ludicris on the FiST, literally have to saw the steering wheel wildly side to side to control it (seriously scaring a passenger at one point). I have not experienced the same with My FoST.

Colour me: missing my FiST, loving my FoST!
Great post; I wouldn't be surprised if I feel EXACTLY the same after I get more seat time in the FiST.

My point? I made it but you cherry picked one comment. It’s up there

OP
KWeaver
Thread Starter #55
My point? I made it but you cherry picked one comment. It’s up there
If this was directed at me then I apologize. Your comments have been fair and logical and my over the top illustration was not directed at you.

EDIT: Check that, I retract my apology; just read your first "afterbirth" reply. Sorry (not sorry).

At the ST Octane Academy I got to drive both on the track and the "autocross" part. The FoST was definitely faster, but felt a heavier, looser, and less balanced on the track. I also felt I was maxing out the brakes on the FoST. Could just be that I've had a lot more FiST seat time and didn't know what I was doing (I'm guessing that's the most likely)... Most of the folks there had the FoST at home, so it was fun hearing their impressions driving the two cars.
I know that folks have talked about potential overheating issues with the FiST on this forum, but talking to the people at the Ford Performance Racing School, it turned out they were running the FiST totally stock but had to mod the FoST to keep it cool: catless downpipe, aftermarket radiator, grill cut-out w/ aftermarket crash bar. I was surprised to hear this, but those cars get used hard!
I test drove them both but went with the FiST mostly because it was significantly cheaper. I did think it felt lighter and more fun at slow speeds too though.
I have no hate on the FoST though, if my family was slightly bigger I'd have gone with that!

Last edited:
Oh, and should have said: appreciated your review... don't get to hear from many people who have 'em both!

DEss

ME: You know MT, C&D, and R&T all show the FoST pulls better g's and figure 8's. This kinda backs up my point about similarities in handling.
I think you're mistaking overall mechanical grip for handling - which is much more subjective measure. e.g. a corvette has more grip than a cayman - but few people will say it handles better.

DEss

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
So I am gonna be a bit facetious / sarcastic for a sec just to get my point across and, illustrate how about half of the posters in this thread are coming across.

FiST Forum Community: Those are all irrelevant, get some European sources to learn the TRUTH about the FiST.

ME: OK.....

(Few Post Later)

FiST Com: DON'T FORGET THE FiST WAS VOTED A "10 BEST" BY C&D, LMAO (I JUST OWNED HIM)

ME: Wait, what????

Or another one of my favs.......

ME: So I own them both and, have driven them a fair amount. The FoST is just as fun and arguable performs better (overall). Having said that, I really like them both!

FiST Com: Listen, I test drove a FoST at a dealership (with all the limitations that implies) for about 20-30 minutes so I KNOW for CERTAIN a FiST is more fun; period!

ME: hmmm

And lets not forget..........

FiST Com: EVERYONE says the FiST is better; literally EVERYONE!!!

ME: Links multiple vids of head to head comparisons where the FoST comes out on top (in some or all respects).

FiST Comp: (changes subject)

/Sarcasm off

Anyway, sorry I caused such a fuss. Still, not gonna admit "defeat" and say a FiST is better in stock form (because it isn't). Carry on I guess....
U speak about facts, well the motor trend test is a fact. I'm sorry if u feel that my comment was ment to "own you" that's childish. I pointed out that the car made it into a top driver's car list. I never said the fist is better. I said to each their own. That's why there are hundreds of cars to choose from. The focus has a place. It's not in the same category. They are not competitors. They are brothers. Nothing I said was meant to own, bittile, talk down or offend you. Enjoy your cars bro.

OP
KWeaver
Thread Starter #60
Yall forget that the fist was in car and drivers 10 best? I believe 6th place. Fost didnt make the cut. Lmao. To each there own. OP prefers the fost, let him. Does not take any joy out of me driving the fist. Me and the wife and baby went out on Friday for an errand. She said she could tell when I was about to corner or take off fast when I get "that grin on my face" haha.

Really???

The only reason I even used your reply was to point out the double standard.......