Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

rodmoe's Blue by You Build

I'm curious, was there something wrong with your factory diff? Could it not hold the power you were making or did you just decide to replace it? I know it's not what you have but the clunking and sounds sounds more like a Detroit locker than a limited slip.
Installed it to help with traction, not needed to hold the power, don't think the open diff is the weak link.
In second gear it helps alot on dry surface, but i dont feel it helps in third, im not making that much power yet, maybe 270whp..

OP
R

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #542
Installed it to help with traction, not needed to hold the power, don't think the open diff is the week link.
In second gear it helps alot on dry surface, but i dont feel it helps in third, im not making that much power yet, maybe 270whp..
Do you recall what your ramps are set at ? mine are 40 90 and engage at 70 which from what i read is kinda early or low on the torqe curve.. all part of the fun of learning i say ;) lol

Do you recall what your ramps are set at ? mine are 40 90 and engage at 70 which from what i read is kinda early or low on the torqe curve.. all part of the fun of learning i say ;) lol
Dont know what my settings are, so should be default, but I will ask them. Bought from Pumaspeed, I read on their website Dual Ramps available are 30/90, 40/90, 30/60, 45/45, 50/90, but nothing about default settings.

OP
R

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #544
Dont know what my settings are, so should be default, but I will ask them. Bought from Pumaspeed, I read on their website Dual Ramps available are 30/90, 40/90, 30/60, 45/45, 50/90, but nothing about default settings.
http://www.burtonpower.com/3j-english-axle-nxg-lsd-atlas-side-gears-16-spline-lsd3j4.html

I found the about page to help me understand what the numbers meant it is not our exact LSD but the info is still good :)

Each LSD is available with three variables which will change the characteristic of how the car will drive. These settings are:

Preload setting - the internal clutch plates when assembled are forced together and the amount of constant force applied to the plates (preload) can be altered. A low preload of say 25lbs/ft will require a reasonable amount of torque from the transmission before there is enough force to lock the plates together. This will result in an LSD that is termed less aggressive and acts in a progressive manner. Typical use: road cars and light vehicles.

On the other end of the spectrum, a higher preload of say 65lbs/ft will need less torque from the transmission to lock the plates together i.e the diff will lock easier and more often. This will result in an LSD that is termed more aggressive and is much less progressive. Typical use: competition cars and heavy vehicles.

Ramp angle, acceleration (corner exit) - the planet gear pin is sandwiched between two ramp blocks. The recess where pin is located has an angled ramp. As acceleration inertia is applied to the diff, the pin moves against the angled ramp, moving the two ramp blocks apart. This consequently applies an additional force to the clutch plates which when large enough will result in either a partial or full lock of the plates. By altering the angle of the ramp, we can alter the characteristics of the LSD. A low angle of say 30 degrees will allow the blocks to be pushed apart much easier than a higher angle of say 50 degrees. The 30 degree ramp will therefore have a more aggressive locking action than the 50 degree ramp.

Ramp angle, deceleration (corner entry) - identical to above, the ramp blocks can also have a ramp angle on the opposite side of the pin location which will provide a locking action when subjected to a deceleration inertia. However it is not always beneficial to have a locking diff during the braking stage e.g. road use and most tarmac events. In this situation, we use a 90 degree block which eliminates any locking action during deceleration.

Note that ramp angle settings are always written with the acceleration angle first e.g. 40/90.

So what settings do you need? Well unless you're an experienced racer, you are unlikely to know where to start. So here are typical suggestions as to what we would advise:

Road use only: Ramp angles 50/90, Preload 25-30lbs/ft

Track/Sprint/Hill climb: Ramp angles 40/90, Preload 55-60lbs/ft

Rally: Ramp angles 30/90 or 30/60, Preload 65-75lbs/ft

Drifting: Ramp angles 45/45, Preload 45-50 lbs/ft

Ovals: Ramp angles 40/90, Preload 50-55lbs/ft

Ovals (old style option): Ramp angles 45/45, Preload 50-55lbs/ft

Drag: Ramp angles 30/90, Preload 75lbs/ft

Remember that these are only recommendations and 3J can build an LSD to suit almost any requirement. Additional ramp angles available include: 20/75, 35/35, 45/35, 30/30, 60/40 and 80/20. Also remember that pre-load settings from 0-150 lbs/ft can be requested.

Secondary ramp angles - as mentioned earlier, all NXG units are supplied with 2 pairs of ramp angles which can be changed when the unit is taken part. Below is a list of the ramp angle pairings:

OP
R

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #545
Ok got the 3J LSD fitted or clearenced as they say which means I had to remoce some casing material to get a proper fit as this LSD if a bit longer than the factory one that come out of my spare trans. once that was done it fit like a glove the reason it rubs on some and not others is a casting shift during manufacturing they say as the 3J company fitted theirs without issue but notes other had to sand or dremil some casing away. not to worry it is in a fat part of the case. now i just need to get up the gumption to swap the tranmissions..

OP
R

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #546
Next UP the TBPERFORMANCE Mid Brace or I brace as They call it. I fitted this and it fits VERY Well even with my DHM aluminum exhaust as there is plenty of room compare to the big fat stock bracket that was on there and had issues with the exhaust systems i have run. Didn't get any after install pics as I was rushed for time but it was a very easy install you get under the car take the old unit off (4 nuts) and put this one in its place and torque to spec. I am VERY happy with the build Quality and weight of this I brace and enjoyed doing Business with TBPERFORMANCE and well Buy from them again plus I really dig the purple color that is just gravey for me..
I rate this product 5 out of 5 Stars ..

OP
R

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #548
So to tie it all together
This showed up and I added the gold part to the inside of the spare trans and now I am ready to pull the trans again just for fun and to swap in the 3J LSD equiped Trans. also tossed up a couple of pics of the engine cover since it got a color shift treatment. Kinda liken that ..

Attachments

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Excited to see more progress Rod.

OP
R

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #551
And its out as long as its out i'll check the motor end play as its kinda flush fit inside. As the paint moved from the pressure plate to the bell housing on the trans..

Attachments

OP
R

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #552
End play measured out fine a tad on the loose side but within Ford Spec ;) yeah me ..

OP
R

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #553
New used trans installed and a few nuts and bolts gone MIA over the winter got replaced as well. 3J says 50 mile break in then dump oil and add thin oil.. for break in there offer you the choice of std or heavy oit being as the 75w90 is normal with friction modifier for limited slip diff's Or you car use the 75w140 for Limit SLip Diff to make the diff work harded to help breakin faster I went 75w140 and will wait the 50 miles dp dump it and replace with the proper rated 75w90 with friction modifier. as of now it only clicked turning right once when first out but after an few runs through the gears it seemed very docile in turning and grabbing traction. UNTIL you applied a good bit of DHM built Power to the wheels I can feel the wheels look up and when they do in a turn it only helps display the Torque steer this car makes and the 3J units only puls in one direction while locked up. Either straight or left or right in the direction you have it pointed. Time will tell how it holds up bit so far I like the change.. Will have to tear apart the other trans and see how the gear sets looks and put the stock Diff back in and decide what to do with the hardly used Quaife unit.. A worry for another time a little extra work clearancing the 3J in the case but so far its well worth it.. I like how it works .. need to get the reg oil in to really test it.. Ill keep you posted :)

New used trans installed and a few nuts and bolts gone MIA over the winter got replaced as well. 3J says 50 mile break in then dump oil and add thin oil.. for break in there offer you the choice of std or heavy oit being as the 75w90 is normal with friction modifier for limited slip diff's Or you car use the 75w140 for Limit SLip Diff to make the diff work harded to help breakin faster I went 75w140 and will wait the 50 miles dp dump it and replace with the proper rated 75w90 with friction modifier. as of now it only clicked turning right once when first out but after an few runs through the gears it seemed very docile in turning and grabbing traction. UNTIL you applied a good bit of DHM built Power to the wheels I can feel the wheels look up and when they do in a turn it only helps display the Torque steer this car makes and the 3J units only puls in one direction while locked up. Either straight or left or right in the direction you have it pointed. Time will tell how it holds up bit so far I like the change.. Will have to tear apart the other trans and see how the gear sets looks and put the stock Diff back in and decide what to do with the hardly used Quaife unit.. A worry for another time a little extra work clearancing the 3J in the case but so far its well worth it.. I like how it works .. need to get the reg oil in to really test it.. Ill keep you posted :)
I'd like to also hear your opinion in difference between qualify and the 3J LSD. I'm sure the difference should become more obvious as time goes by. Lol. Kind of like a vs. Review if you will.

OP
R

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #555
Splitter Support from Amazon and Fully Torqued Racing.

Added a bit of functional/vanity to the front of the car making sure the splitter it solid on the car and I like the racecar wannbe look LOL

1-IMG_1136.JPG

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
If you don't plan on using that transmission, or selling it anytime soon, I may or may not need it in the next few months. Time will tell pretty quickly how the tranny will hold up to the forthcoming build.