Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Starting to Think about a Race Car Sized Rear Sway Bar

OP
Fusion Works

Fusion Works

Thread Starter #42
Oh, gotcha. Personally I don't like the add in bars within the beam because of the way they mount with one little bolt on each side. Why not just get the rotation I want out of a single bar? Less stuff to tote around, less stuff to wear and trouble to track down if there is an issue, etc. A single bar is fairly easy to make and it just bolts on like my current Eibach bar.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
On my FiST, I had the Eibach rear bar as well as the Pierce in Twist-Beam bar.
The Pierce bar is a rendition of the Steeda bar designed for the non-ST however no side bolt drilling is required.
If I was to do it over again, I would use only the DNA bar as shown above.
The DNA bar is adjustable so your exact requirements can be set.

Oh, gotcha. Personally I don't like the add in bars within the beam because of the way they mount with one little bolt on each side. Why not just get the rotation I want out of a single bar? Less stuff to tote around, less stuff to wear and trouble to track down if there is an issue, etc. A single bar is fairly easy to make and it just bolts on like my current Eibach bar.
that's a fair point. I like making my cars as simple as possible too

OP
Fusion Works

Fusion Works

Thread Starter #45
On my FiST, I had the Eibach rear bar as well as the Pierce in Twist-Beam bar.
The Pierce bar is a rendition of the Steeda bar designed for the non-ST however no side bolt drilling is required.
If I was to do it over again, I would use only the DNA bar as shown above.
The DNA bar is adjustable so your exact requirements can be set.

I kinda like the DNA race spec bar, but am not super thrilled anchoring the bar to the beam like they do. I am afraid I haven't spent enough time studying the kinematics of the twist beam. Picked up a couple of white papers, but life has gotten in the way of reading them. I like the ability to remove the preload at ride height though.

The VWs use to use a clamp on rear bar, which would be an option. They used something like .250in flat bar and bent it into a hook for one side and used a pinch clamp on the other side of the bar. It seemed to work well. To me looks stronger than the one dinky bolt the DNA bar has.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Can concur, ride is pretty terrible. LOL. My own fault, haven't pulled the 450/550 setup off and its pretty brutal on some elevated road way type bumps. Its ok on smooth roads, but it will bounce you pretty hard. HAHA. When I get the Radical out of the way I will pull it in the shop and experiment with pulling the Eibach rear bar, just to test your theory. (Plus I need it for a template)
Do you own/race the Radical, or is it a customer's ride?

Dialcaliper

Here is a video from the guy who had Misha drive his Fiesta around the ring.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCUWR0H218Q

Not a fan of the way the bar bolts on with one bolt.
Bolting scheme isn't that well thought out. Also amused, because the "silent blocks" use a polymer spherical bearing that I recognize, which are meant to be run dry, and the rotating surface is the outer ball. Then watching the guy grease the inner surface... :eek:

That's persistence Brett! Lookin' good, weld-er UP :cool:!

Just out of curiosity, did you consider making this sway bar out of hollow 4130 chromoly and slightly larger diameter to save a few lbs of weight?

OP
Fusion Works

Fusion Works

Thread Starter #53
Yeah if I needed more bar I thought about building one out of something like 1.25 tube. I have used that in the past for the sway bars on my Integra. Have .095 and .125 wall 4130 bars.

I ran the bar today at Barber. Car was better. More later and I even have videos. HAHA