Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stripped Gearbox fill hole threads...

So, unfortunately I somehow managed to strip the threads on my gearbox fill hole while swapping out the fluid... Just hit 100,000 miles on my 15 FIST. I am afraid this may end up being a gearbox out of the car job... Wondering if anybody has any experience with repairing something like this?

Man, I've never done a repair to the trans filler hole like that. But it would be a hard task to fix the threads with getting metal all in the gearbox. Maybe there could be a solution kind of like a boat plug hole??? Maybe someone with some wisdom will have some tricks. Good luck man

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I drilled and tapped an aluminum sump without removing it and the engine survived. The key is to go super slow and cover everything with vaseline to catch the chips. If you have to oversize and install an insert use a drill instead of a ream cuz bigger chips.

Last edited:
OP
SneakyBobinson
Thread Starter #4
Man, I've never done a repair to the trans filler hole like that. But it would be a hard task to fix the threads with getting metal all in the gearbox. Maybe there could be a solution kind of like a boat plug hole??? Maybe someone with some wisdom will have some tricks. Good luck man
Thanks, Ill come back and post if I am able to chase the threads or find some other solution. Ill take the advice of trying to catch shavings with Vaseline and maybe flush out the case with new oil to hopefully get everything out... In the mean time I have some Dorman branded expansion plug in there which is not leaking but definitely not a long term solution.

the duke

If you can pressurize the case it will provide a backpressure to eject small chips. This works for recutting spark plug threads in heads by pressurizing the exhaust and providing flow through the exhaust valve.

Last edited: