Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Turbo Technics S280

Magnetic

Honestly if you're planning on spending all that money on a built engine, I wouldn't stop at s280, I'd go after a g25-550 or 660, etc. With all the cams, and headwork, etc it'd probably spool a g25-550 damn near as fast as a S280, while having more power & top end.
That would make sense but all I primarily care about is torque. I'm not trying to beat mustangs & hellcats I just want that low end torque. Plus I want something that's manageable for putting down power on turns and those turbos hit too hard for my taste at those levels.

Plus I want the engine to last. I want to keep reliability. That's why my tunes are so conservative.

Magnetic

I'm also building a sleeved motor to put through the paces. If things pan out, I am hoping to offer built engines on my website.
AWESOME!!! I'll be in the market next year. Right now I'm just building the car up so everything else is maxed out. The engine will be the cherry on top.

AzNightmare

Can anyone explain why or why doesn't Ethanol make a big difference on the S280?

I could have sworn when doing research, I read info that Ethanol doesn't make a big diff on this turbo, but then I am also seeing some numbers well over 300 on E30.

I didn't bother with an ethanol tune, but now I'm wondering if it was a mistake.

Lays

Can anyone explain why or why doesn't Ethanol make a big difference on the S280?

I could have sworn when doing research, I read info that Ethanol doesn't make a big diff on this turbo, but then I am also seeing some numbers well over 300 on E30.

I didn't bother with an ethanol tune, but now I'm wondering if it was a mistake.
Stock fuel system regardless of E30 or 93 is pretty much limited to ~300 whp

Ethanol starts to shine when you throw more boost and an aftermarket fuel solution at the car, like bigger injectors and HPFP, or aux fuel. I make ~370 whp, and the difference between my 92 pump gas tune and e40 + aux fuel tune is insane. 4th gear on ethanol feels like 2nd gear on pump gas.

dhminer

2000 Post Club

Stock fuel system is the limiting factor for most aftermarket turbos, but after that you’re up against the knock threshold. E30 has much higher knock resistance. Even on stock turbo/fuel system you can get a bit more out of E30 vs 93 especially on the low end.

dhminer

2000 Post Club

Ethanol starts to shine when you throw more boost and an aftermarket fuel solution at the car, like bigger injectors and HPFP, or aux fuel. I make ~370 whp, and the difference between my 92 pump gas tune and e40 + aux fuel tune is insane. 4th gear on ethanol feels like 2nd gear on pump gas.
I can’t imagine how nutty 370whp feels. I bet that’s awesome

Jabbit

2000 Post Club

That's my target for the spring. Any videos of pulls you can share?

Lays

I can’t imagine how nutty 370whp feels. I bet that’s awesome
It's a blast! I really want to go get it officially dyno'd, but I feel the engine may be getting a little tired.

The last couple times I've gone to redline in 3rd/4th on my ethanol tune, it's pulled quite a bit of timing from Cyl 3 and Cyl 1.

I have a missing turbo stud as well I need to take care of, lol.

Dpro

6000 Post Club

I will just throw this in for the sake of it . On E30 you will be limited to 300hp but you can see up to 340ft lbs of TQ on the stock fuel system. Some might not realize its the TQ you notice most in the butt dyno department. TQ is what makes the car pull hard and throws you back in the seat feeling. I can tell you 340ft lbs of TQ on the car is crazy. I can’t wait to get my diff in with the 4.06 gears( ya I am looking for a 4.06 ring and pinion vs 4.3 because ST200 gears) .

Yeah, like others have said E will not make as big a difference on your S280 if its on the stock fuel system, as pump gas already maxes out your fuel system, and as we ALL know e85 is less fuel dense, requiring around 30% more fuel to match pump gas. That being said, i am strongly considering doing 2 aux fuel tunes for my S280 instead of just pump gas. However, i dont realllllly wanna replace my clutch(and then throw in a LSD) currently. Lol but i also wouldn't mind it….. :)

you getting your e85 from Abbotsford or New West?

AzNightmare

I will just throw this in for the sake of it . On E30 you will be limited to 300hp but you can see up to 340ft lbs of TQ on the stock fuel system. Some might not realize its the TQ you notice most in the butt dyno department. TQ is what makes the car pull hard and throws you back in the seat feeling. I can tell you 340ft lbs of TQ on the car is crazy. I can’t wait to get my diff in with the 4.06 gears( ya I am looking for a 4.06 ring and pinion vs 4.3 because ST200 gears) .
What's the avg wtq expected on 91 or 93?
I'm at 270~ tq on 91 on vdyno but still tuning.
340 seems insane. I kind of miss the torque shove. I'm not sure if it's just because of the nature of the S280, as opposed to the quick spool of the stock turbo.
The S280 doesn't have as much trouble with traction though and it just goes and goes, but still, I do miss the torque shove a bit.

AzNightmare

Yeah, like others have said E will not make as big a difference on your S280 if its on the stock fuel system, as pump gas already maxes out your fuel system, and as we ALL know e85 is less fuel dense, requiring around 30% more fuel to match pump gas. That being said, i am strongly considering doing 2 aux fuel tunes for my S280 instead of just pump gas. However, i dont realllllly wanna replace my clutch(and then throw in a LSD) currently. Lol but i also wouldn't mind it….. :)
you getting your e85 from Abbotsford or New West?
Currently, none.
I decided to not go with an ethanol tune at all, just for practicality.. If I'm doing any cruises where I'm going to be making the most out of my S280, I won't really have access to ethanol outside of the city. On stock turbo, I used to go down to New West and fill up jerry cans. But then the hassle of mixing fuel at the gas station got tiresome. Abbotsford e85 has been proven to be inconsistent with the eth content, so I personally don't recommend it.

Shell started to roll out 93 this past fall, so I'll probably switch over in the Spring when my car is out of storage and I finish up my tuning.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
What's the avg wtq expected on 91 or 93?
I'm at 270~ tq on 91 on vdyno but still tuning.
340 seems insane. I kind of miss the torque shove. I'm not sure if it's just because of the nature of the S280, as opposed to the quick spool of the stock turbo.
The S280 doesn't have as much trouble with traction though and it just goes and goes, but still, I do miss the torque shove a bit.
If you miss the TQ shove it comes back with an E30 Tune on stock fuel system. I pulled 284ft lbs of TQ and 284 HP on Vydno. I saw 298ft lbs of TQ and 298HP on my AP on the E30 and after pulls datalogged saw 290-300 whp and 340ft lbs TQ on Vydno.

The s280 does not really spool at that much slower than the stock Turbo and in fact in the lower rpm band to about 3k really almost matches the stock TQ wise . If I recall after reading other dyno logs it was done 50FT lbs at like 2500 rpm compared to the stock turbo . Though once it climbed over 2500 rpm it matched the stock turbo till around 3000 rpm and then it starts to go and the crazy part is it just goes to redline . It just has pull all the way up.

In fact if you look at my vydno charts I posted you will see that broad arc up and across that the turbo is known for .

Anyways ya an E30 tune will give you back the donkey kick you miss if you really want it. Though I get it if E30 is a hassle to do and you area is getting 93 then go that way and you will get more of the donkey on 93 as well IMO.