Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Turbo Technics S280

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I should have clarified - e30 on the stock turbo.

The 285whp you just posted seems more like I would have expected from the S280

I suspect, as others have mentioned, that this tune is still just a cautious work in progress.

I’m low-key upset that I probably won’t be able to give this turbo a try. Going to have to go with the Whoosh hybrid to stay under the CA radar.
Not sure how deep they go into checking shit out. But I have the top half of the stock heat shield on, can’t even tell it’s not a stock turbo lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brianmc27

Not sure how deep they go into checking shit out. But I have the top half of the stock heat shield on, can’t even tell it’s not a stock turbo lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don’t wan to veer too off topic, but I also worry about readiness states more than I worry about the visual.

At least the Whoosh looks identical to the OEM

wetwea33

Don’t wan to veer too off topic, but I also worry about readiness states more than I worry about the visual.

At least the Whoosh looks identical to the OEM
The rediness states dont have anything to do with the Turbo.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Brianmc27

The rediness states dont have anything to do with the Turbo.

So, pardon my ignorance - never had to smog a tuned car, I can run a tune on an aftermarket turbo and it will pass the obd2 test in CA?

wetwea33

So, pardon my ignorance - never had to smog a tuned car, I can run a tune on an aftermarket turbo and it will pass the obd2 test in CA?
As long as it passes the visual it should be fine but I'm not from CA so I can't say 100%

Brianmc27

As long as it passes the visual it should be fine but I'm not from CA so I can't say 100%

Haha - I’m gonna smog it in April 2024 and if anything goes wrong I’m gonna point to this post and say, “but wetwea33 said it was fine!”.

slopoke

Well the thing about the S280 is that just like it's little brother the S242, the diverter/bov valve is not attached to the compressor case and if the tech inspecting for a SMOG test here in CA is familiar with this, you'll fail the visual. Even with the heatshield installed, the extra plumbing for the diverter/bov can easily be seen. To fly under the radar and make the kind of power I'm expecting this turbo to make, the X57 is the closest. The Whoosh hybrid is a great turbo, but I think that it will fall short of the S280's full potential since it's not a hybrid, but inbetween a hybrid and big turbo.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Out of all the cars the smog tech has to see it seems unlikely he would know the difference. Less he is a car guy.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Dpro

6000 Post Club
You can pass OBDII testing in California with our cars with a tune and a hybrid or big turbo as long as you have not disconnected or moved o2 sensors . All they do is plug it in to the machine and read sensors no dyno. Its the visual that will screw you up anything not EO exempt that is not stock can be flagged for fail. Unless you find a cool smog tech that is lax on the visual.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Eh, It’s not that oppressive. Cars these days perform pretty close to the max in stock level.

Beats living in a smog-hell
I was going to go through and reply to some of your comments and then I saw this one. Definitely icing on the cake for me.

Lol that's not even remotely true.

Just let it go... LOL

New member here, I currently have a Focus ST, but went to octane academy and fell in love with the FiST. So I’m selling mine to get one and Big Turbo. Anyways....

I read this whole thread and have been doing a stupid amount of research for the FiST, as I’m not as familiarized with this as I am with the FoST. At first I wanted to go with the woosh or the 2860r but after reading this thread I think I’ll go with the S280.
I watched Adams video of the S280 install on youtube, and he dropped the subframe. He says it’s easier that way. Has anyone done it without dropping it? I’d like to know how hard it was/is doing both. Also, sounds like everyone says to just get an aftermarket WGA. 14 pound, 16? Which is best for what application? I do plan on going Aux fuel later down the road. Read somthing about someone saying to go with the 16 with aux?

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
New member here, I currently have a Focus ST, but went to octane academy and fell in love with the FiST. So I’m selling mine to get one and Big Turbo. Anyways....
Good choice. Most everyone in our class that had bought a FoST regretted it when they drove the FiST.

I watched Adams video of the S280 install on youtube, and he dropped the subframe. He says it’s easier that way. Has anyone done it without dropping it? I’d like to know how hard it was/is doing both.
I don't think any of us have dropped it. You do it from the top. Ez-pz lemon squeezy. Adam had the subframe out for other reasons (he was replacing it), yes it would be much easier with all that room, but its absolutely insane to drop that just for a turbo.

Also, sounds like everyone says to just get an aftermarket WGA. 14 pound, 16? Which is best for what application? I do plan on going Aux fuel later down the road. Read somthing about someone saying to go with the 16 with aux?
Ron @whoosh sells the appropriate one. Adam has a proprietary one they are coming out with. I have the stock one and I wont upgrade it until I go aux. Somewhere between 14 & 16psi is fine

Good choice. Most everyone in our class that had bought a FoST regretted it when they drove the FiST.

I definitely regret not test driving the FiST. I thought they were ugly and too small.
Turns out I didn’t need the space of a FoST and the look is growing on me. I can’t wait to get one.

I don't think any of us have dropped it. You do it from the top. Ez-pz lemon squeezy. Adam had the subframe out for other reasons (he was replacing it), yes it would be much easier with all that room, but its absolutely insane to drop that just for a turbo.

Ron @whoosh sells the appropriate one. Adam has a proprietary one they are coming out with. I have the stock one and I wont upgrade it until I go aux. Somewhere between 14 & 16psi is fine

skdjsnns

I feel like a noob, havent used forums before and just noticed my reply wasn’t formatted how everyone else replies. Anyways, I’ll be following for more results! Looks like this is the turbo I’ll go with.

wetwea33

So, Dizzy is lying? (See e30 tune)

Just curious.

https://dizzytuning.com/pages/fiesta-flash-tune
No it just varies from car to car and ussually you see them in the 210-220 range and between 280-300lbs ft but dynos are subjective and there are alot of variables that go into it. Who cares anyhow [emoji2369][emoji2369][emoji2369]

felopr

People who have it installed already, how do it sound while building boost and "fully" boosted? Just wanted to know if what i am hearing is normal

wetwea33

People who have it installed already, how do it sound while building boost and "fully" boosted? Just wanted to know if what i am hearing is normal
Sounds pretty different from a stock turbo or hybrid. Sounds more like a turbine then the stock turbo/hybrid whistle.