Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What's your Fiesta ST suspension plan?

What's your Fiesta ST suspension plan?

• Leave it stock

Votes: 92 24.9%
  • Lowering Springs

Votes: 109 29.5%
  • Coil-Overs

Votes: 166 45.0%
  • Air Suspension

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters
I went with Mountune springs all around, Stock struts up front and Koni Str.ts in the rear for my '19. This set up has been great as my daily driver so far. I have not been able to pound it yet but so far I am happy with ride.
I would like to know why did you choose only to change the rear and not the whole?

Because there are many reports of the Koni Str.t being too soft in the front and I wanted to avoid that. The rear is overdamped from the factory so most of the harsh ride comes from the rear shocks. By just replacing the rear shocks with Konis I get the ride quality I want without the soft, squishiness in the front.

ronmcdon

have been giving a lot of thought into getting a set of coilovers and sad there not an application for Ohlins road and track that I enjoy on my evo x (with whiteline roll center correction kit.)

wanting something closer to stock height or if lowered doesnt impede on roll center. also like something I can have for fast street driving and occasional autoX. really like the feel of linear springs. dont really care so much about ride quality, but want to go fast and stable over uneven surfaces.

most likely will decide between meister gt1, fortune 500 (not sure 510s make sense) or YCB’s.. dont know what parts are needed to adjust roll center or if thats even necessary with minimall drop from existing coilovers.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yeah, Ohlins never made anything for these cars at all. [:(]

Even the Fiesta WRC teams/privateers have to use Reiger or ZF suspension systems.

TemecFist

have been giving a lot of thought into getting a set of coilovers and sad there not an application for Ohlins road and track that I enjoy on my evo x (with whiteline roll center correction kit.)

wanting something closer to stock height or if lowered doesnt impede on roll center. also like something I can have for fast street driving and occasional autoX. really like the feel of linear springs. dont really care so much about ride quality, but want to go fast and stable over uneven surfaces.

most likely will decide between meister gt1, fortune 500 (not sure 510s make sense) or YCB’s.. dont know what parts are needed to adjust roll center or if thats even necessary with minimall drop from existing coilovers.
I'm running the Meister R GT1's. I didnt need anything extra to get the roll center correct. They also have enough adjustment to pretty much go as high, or as low as you want (within reason of course). Linear springs, dyno tested, camber plates, what else could you want. The lead time sucks tho, but that's going to be with any custom coilover setup. I would like to try the 510's sometime in the future and get a good comparison. I looked at the BC's, but went with the Mesiter R's because they actually have a little bit more suspension travel. Hopefully this helps you out a little bit.

ronmcdon

thanks great info! how are you using your car and what options did you choose? assuming
I'm running the Meister R GT1's. I didnt need anything extra to get the roll center correct. They also have enough adjustment to pretty much go as high, or as low as you want (within reason of course). Linear springs, dyno tested, camber plates, what else could you want. The lead time sucks tho, but that's going to be with any custom coilover setup. I would like to try the 510's sometime in the future and get a good comparison. I looked at the BC's, but went with the Mesiter R's because they actually have a little bit more suspension travel. Hopefully this helps you out a little bit.
Good to know! Was not quite sure linear springs were used based on what I saw on their website. curious what rates you're using and what the coilovers are optimized for. Seems like the Gt1s use lower spring rates, so definitely intrigued if it works well as a street and non-competitive hdpe car.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
ALL of the Taiwanese made/parts sourced coil over systems for this car use linear rate springs, some even offer SWIFT brand linear coil over springs as a higher cost option.

The only ones which require, or force you to use their progressive rate springs (due to their dampers being specifically valved for them) are all of the Euro sourced ones; Bilstein B14s, all KWs and Suspension Techniques, etc. [wink] [:(]

TemecFist

thanks great info! how are you using your car and what options did you choose? assuming

Good to know! Was not quite sure linear springs were used based on what I saw on their website. curious what rates you're using and what the coilovers are optimized for. Seems like the Gt1s use lower spring rates, so definitely intrigued if it works well as a street and non-competitive hdpe car.
You can choose whichever spring rate you want. I'm using 8k front, 6k rear. The Swift springs are an upgrade tho. Be careful with using a stiff spring. For some reason people think "stiffer is better" but that is just not the case. I've tried stiffer springs before, and the car just bounced and skipped everywhere. And mine is a competitive TT5 car, it's not a daily driver at all, so the GT1's will fit the bill for you perfectly.

ronmcdon

Thanks great info! yes agreed high spring rates arent always the best. haven't had the best experience with some japanese coilover manufacturers. had 10k front/8k rear on my 240sx and the car was not useable for anything.

will def get in touch with meister to check with their swift spring options. Any other parts would you recommend to complement the suspension setup? right now have some 16x8 rpf1 wheels w 205/50 direzza z3 on order, wavetack and all tb braces sans booty bar. really like to keep stock height, have the car rotate well and decrease the body roll. taking it to good suspension shop, west end in los angeles to get the work done.

M-Sport - agreed. tried a set of KW v3 before on my evo x and found them way too soft for my liking. I prefered even the oem suspension over that and switched to Ohlins right away.

TemecFist

Thanks great info! yes agreed high spring rates arent always the best. haven't had the best experience with some japanese coilover manufacturers. had 10k front/8k rear on my 240sx and the car was not useable for anything.

will def get in touch with meister to check with their swift spring options. Any other parts would you recommend to complement the suspension setup? right now have some 16x8 rpf1 wheels w 205/50 direzza z3 on order, wavetack and all tb braces sans booty bar. really like to keep stock height, have the car rotate well and decrease the body roll. taking it to good suspension shop, west end in los angeles to get the work done.

M-Sport - agreed. tried a set of KW v3 before on my evo x and found them way too soft for my liking. I prefered even the oem suspension over that and switched to Ohlins right away.
West End does all of my suspension and alignment work, those guys are top notch. I would recommend some camber plates for the rear. Dpro is running a sale on them right now. I cant vouch for Dpro (I have the DNA plates), but I'm sure its prob just the same thing. They work VERY well

Dpro

6000 Post Club
West End does all of my suspension and alignment work, those guys are top notch. I would recommend some camber plates for the rear. Dpro is running a sale on them right now. I cant vouch for Dpro (I have the DNA plates), but I'm sure its prob just the same thing. They work VERY well
Hehehe Shameless plug here. Ron actually knows me from the 240sx world. I made engine mounts and trans mounts for 240sx’s only reason I never did them for the FiST is because I felt the market was too crowded already.
Ya Ron hit me up I can get you hooked up on the camber plates. Got a box sitting here and the group buy is only two more people to $75 a set. Best price out there.
As far as suspension goes I could echo your feelings about KW with my ST‘s which are actually made by KW.
I think I am about to go MeisterR myself and two good friends of mine are running the ZetaCRD versions on their cars. Which are a real bargain. MeisterR is pretty impressive over in the UK they have several British Touring car championship wins under their belt. Jerrick is supposed to be a great guy to work with as well.

Last edited:

ronmcdon

what would be ideal camber with camber plates, coilovers & camber bolts? maybe -3.0ish front, -1.5 to -2.0 rear? not sure if too much neg camber and higher front spring rates inhibits the cars playful rotation or creates more understeer.

So sorry already purchased set of dna plates before I found out about your plates, feel real guilty about that!

TemecFist

what would be ideal camber with camber plates? maybe -3.0ish front, -1.5 to -2.0 rear? not sure if too much neg camber and higher front spring rates inhibits the cars playful rotation or creates more understeer.
West End will go over all of that with you. It depends on your driving style and what/how you want the car to respond. They will set you up, f/r camber, roll center, ride height, corner balance, etc. They know their stuff. Check out his Type R when your in there. That thing is MINT

ronmcdon

ah haven't noticed any itr there but I like that ef civic he has. Yes West End great to work with. just purchased the miesters gt1 online so likely to be back in Jan or later, depending on how long it takes the meisters eta.

curoius if any other dna parts might be worth considering, like the lca's or endlinks.

TemecFist

ah haven't noticed any itr there but I like that ef civic he has. Yes West End great to work with. just purchased the miesters gt1 online so likely to be back in Jan or later, depending on how long it takes the meisters eta.

curoius if any other dna parts might be worth considering, like the lca's or endlinks.
Are you talking about his little black hatch? That things is fast.
You will need endlinks if you want to corner balance. I used SuperPro's, I like them alot. DNA's looked a little thin to me (not sure if that even matters). I read some good and some bad reviews about those DNA LCA's. I wouldnt mind trying a set, that's for sure. Did you talk to Jerrick? I talked to him directly when I ordered mine, hes a real good guy. Be patient, it does take a while for them to be made and shipped.

TemecFist

Almost forgot, I also used H&R camber bolts and Powerflex black pads (race) when I installed the coilovers

Last edited: