Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Woods247 BrokeFiST Build

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #442
what do you think of the exhaust? everyone was telling me it would be loud and my neighbors would hate me but I couldn't be happier with it.
I still have the CPE resonator so it’s no louder than it was before except at WOT. The 2J side exit is quieter than a CPE (modified or regular). If I removed the resonator it would be ridiculously loud I’m sure.

I still have the CPE resonator so it’s no louder than it was before except at WOT. The 2J side exit is quieter than a CPE (modified or regular). If I removed the resonator it would be ridiculously loud I’m sure.
hahaha well there I go assuming. I got the 2j side exit and love it has a nice tone but not crazy loud till I really get in it. I didn't know CPE made a side exit though. I really like your heat shield on the side skirt too. I'm sure if I got crazy and put a high flow/ catless down pipe on it would be louder but if I just went straight to a res delete then I'm sure it would be a bit intolerable. I really like the side exit on our cars it looks good and is different then your standard out the back style. Now I deff need to figure someway to fill up the exhaust cutout on the rear bumper.

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #444
hahaha well there I go assuming. I got the 2j side exit and love it has a nice tone but not crazy loud till I really get in it. I didn't know CPE made a side exit though. I really like your heat shield on the side skirt too. I'm sure if I got crazy and put a high flow/ catless down pipe on it would be louder but if I just went straight to a res delete then I'm sure it would be a bit intolerable. I really like the side exit on our cars it looks good and is different then your standard out the back style. Now I deff need to figure someway to fill up the exhaust cutout on the rear bumper.
CPE doesn’t make a side exit. Mine was custom made. I had a CPE and decided to modify it.

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #448
Might as well remove the interior side trim as well no? Complete the bare-bones look you've started.
My rollbar/seat selection is still undecided. I’m a little different than most because I want my interior to be finished and clean. I’ve never really liked stripped street car interiors. It’s really loud without a helmet and exposed wires and sensors risk being damaged.

Last edited:
OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #449
After making changes to my alignment, brake pads and driving techniques, I decided to install aero and pull the trigger on a proper wing to stabilize my car under high speed braking and turns. I'm not really a fan of the appearance of bigass wings, but I feel like it is necessary if I want to continue pushing the Fiesta faster around road courses. The stability issues over 100mph can be unpredictable and sketchy, as some of you know. More than once I've been in dangerous situations when the car basically lost all rear grip. The addition of aero will make it safer and faster around the track. I'll post up pics when it arrives from the UK in a couple of weeks. The plan is to install a chassis mounted front splitter and air dam along with wing. We might hack up the rear bumper cover for a functional diffuser as well but that might not happen until winter.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
After making changes to my alignment, brake pads and driving techniques, I decided to install aero and pull the trigger on a proper wing to stabilize my car under high speed braking and turns. I'm not really a fan of the appearance of bigass wings, but I feel like it is necessary if I want to continue pushing the Fiesta faster around road courses. The stability issues over 100mph can be unpredictable and sketchy, as some of you know. More than once I've been in dangerous situations when the car basically lost all rear grip. The addition of aero will make it safer and faster around the track. I'll post up pics when it arrives from the UK in a couple of weeks. The plan is to install a chassis mounted front splitter and air dam along with wing. We might hack up the rear bumper cover for a functional diffuser as well but that might not happen until winter.
You end up getting the one that we saw on FB?

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Looking forward to seeing this setup. Your car is going to be outrageous haha (in a good way). Can you provide a link to the wing? I am curious.

And I definitely understand what you mean about the instability braking at higher speed, I have experienced it myself a few times.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
*cough*Versusdiffuser*cough*

Can't wait to see your big wang!

wait....

EDIT - are you running camber plates in the rear?

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Looking forward to seeing this setup. Your car is going to be outrageous haha (in a good way). Can you provide a link to the wing? I am curious.

And I definitely understand what you mean about the instability braking at higher speed, I have experienced it myself a few times.
I am very inexperienced when it comes to driving on track but the high speed fun I have on my back roads hasn't given me the butt pucker moment after eliminating the rear bumper parachute... I think it only becomes worse when the car pitches forward and more air is allowed under the car (larger gap between road and side skirts) and so the back end floats around. Just my $0.03! (CAD conversion sucks)

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #454
You end up getting the one that we saw on FB?
It's similar. I bought one from MGC.Modifications on IG. He answered all of my questions quickly and there were many haha.. His kit was less expensive than the one we saw on FB too. Several UK and Euro track drivers are happy with his wing, so I took a leap of faith based on their opinions and experience.

It looks like this:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Similar in concept to the R5 wing, but with all of the extra load bracing that one does not have. [thumb]

Are you looking at their splitter and side skirts as well?

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #457
Similar in concept to the R5 wing, but with all of the extra load bracing that one does not have. [thumb]

Are you looking at their splitter and side skirts as well?
I’ll build the splitter and diffuser. I’ll probably start with a plywood splitter until I get the design where I want it then make a version out of alumilite because it looks better. Weight isn’t that critical down there but I like my cars to look good. Plywood splitters are for Miatas lol.
I’ve stared at the skirts for awhile. It seems like I’ll need to remove the OE ST skirts and build something if I decide to go that route. I picked up a cheap standard wing like the one in the pic above. I wonder if the standard skirts will offer a more uniform surface to modify?? I need to look.

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #458
FWIW, friends with RS and TypeR time attack cars had the same stability issues. The addition of aero was recommended by them as well.
I’m almost always the only Fiesta at the track here so there’s no one to nerd out and collaborate with after sessions. Hopefully more people get into them as they get cheaper.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
FWIW, friends with RS and TypeR time attack cars had the same stability issues. The addition of aero was recommended by them as well.
I’m almost always the only Fiesta at the track here so there’s no one to nerd out and collaborate with after sessions. Hopefully more people get into them as they get cheaper.
Let us know how it works out. I might be interested as I keep debating on the idea of making the FiST a dedicated track car

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
I believe that Woods wants something a bit more functional than that one. [wink]
I don't get that part - WHAT could be more functional?

It covers the area from the rear axle back... it has rear fins that aren't obnoxious... What ELSE could be done to a rear diffuser for our cars? Legitimate question... I've heard the whole 'it doesn't look functional' or 'they don't have data' but Versus does state they use computer modelling to project airflow characteristics which is about as good as you can expect any company to do.

There isn't a weight sacrifice - it's built well - I couldn't make one as nice for the money and I consider myself a reasonably capable fabricator at this stage.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MKVIIST Fiesta of The Month Winners 5