Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

x37-47 / 2554-60 / C39 / ST280 - Small Turbo Comparison Thread

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
The "garage" I work out of is an industrial shop at a company with annual sales of 17.6 billion dollars ( that has been around for 75 years ).

I actually don't even have a garage, lol. The home shop I do mechanical work out of ( installs and work on my car ) is a friends home shop that I pay him to use from time to time because he has plenty of space, and all his tools are at home, where as all my tools have to stay at my 9-5 job. (Ok, 6am to 3:30pm job ).
The dinner table pic is because my daily driver is a Yukon and I have 4 kids. Last time the 4 kids rode in my Yukon they brought a friend to stay the night. Which means.... 7 people with 2 car seats. I didn't have space to drive around with two extra turbos and 8-10 inlets in the truck with all those people, and just thought it was a funny picture ( and I did get my ass kicked when my ole lady came home, lol ).

So much for assumptions lol.

I assume Pumaspeed is a machine shop that assembles turbos on site? Lol.... ummmmm no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
A silly question, but how are you guys priming your turbos? I've been told you can pull the fuel pump relay to crank the engine to bring oil pressure into the turbo so it doesn't have a dry start. I've also seen people just unplug the spark plug coils so it won't fire up. Any advice?

A silly question, but how are you guys priming your turbos? I've been told you can pull the fuel pump relay to crank the engine to bring oil pressure into the turbo so it doesn't have a dry start. I've also seen people just unplug the spark plug coils so it won't fire up. Any advice?
Just hold the clutch and gas pedals all the way down and hit the start button. It will keep cranking but not fire. Make sure you let off the clutch first when you want to stop, because if you lift off the gas first it will start.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Since the oil feed is on the block above the turbo you can pour oil into it until full which is not very much, do wait awhile for it to settle in, air to escape, etc....

Better yet pump it in with a hand held pump to ensure it gets everything coated as I have done on several turbos as my projects are usually offline for sometime doing many mods at once I want to ensure I do not forget to oil it later when ready to start the car.

I like the other method better when it works, rotate the engine with the pedals down, when it is expedient to do so:)

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Genuine question, not trying to stoke any flames. Why does this Cyborg turbo hit full boost so late? It doesn't see 25 psi until 4000 RPM or so. Not my car, this is one I found on YouTube. Should we be more concerned about when boost begins building or when we hit peak boost?

[video=youtube;-3EUaJ1Aozg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3EUaJ1Aozg[/video]

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I dug up a few old logs. On a Cobb OTS Stg 3 tune, stock turbo, i was maxing out close to or a little over 22psi around 4300 rpm, on average. Full boost at 4,000 is an improvement. The C39 is reaching a higher max boost earlier in the rpm range. At least when compared to my logs.

http://www.datazap.me/u/lilpartybox/data?log=0&data=4-6

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Genuine question, not trying to stoke any flames. Why does this Cyborg turbo hit full boost so late? It doesn't see 25 psi until 4000 RPM or so. Not my car, this is one I found on YouTube. Should we be more concerned about when boost begins building or when we hit peak boost?

Clipped turbine wheel. That way it can hold boost.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
no doubt its a lofty claim. The again that is alot of stress on the motor and quite useless

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Agreed. If that claim proves to be true, I'll be waiting for the next option. Max boost at such a crazy low rpm is gonna break shit in a hurry. I hate lag as much as the next guy but dam near zero lag isn't ideal either. Why can't someone just make my porridge just right already?!

I don't really see how our small oem turbo frame can move enough air to hit max at 2200. I mean, there's barely any exhaust at that point. Maybe by 2nd or 3rd gear the turbo would have the momentum to? Either way pumaspeed was smart and took the x-47 off their site while they test. That claim may vanish after all is said and done.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I think it is at best a guesstimate. More likely they meant to say boost starts to build around 2200 which would be more or less consistent with other hybrid options.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Figured this fit here, since the kit is basically a 2860.

We have been working crazy hard refining our turbo kits! We want to show people following this forum what something looks like when you properly design and execute a complete turbo package!!

DHM GTX360r Turbo kit
http://deadhookmotorsports.com/Fies...grade/Dead-Hook-Motorsports-GTX360r-Turbo-Kit

This kit will make 300-310whp on 91oct or 93oct NO METH NO AUX NO BS

Max power on the stock engine is 370-385whp with e45 and aux fuel

Built engine will be 420whp+

This is our base turbo kit now. With 20psi coming in at 3200rpm in 4th and sub 3500rpm in 3rd that is more torque that any one will need haha

This is a chassis dyno of the same kit but with a larger exhaust housing and dynojets are very laggy due to the lack of low speed load (Stock vs 93oct vs e45)

Here is a car with a DA of about 3800-4200ft. Stock Fuel System and 110oct race gas

The bottle line to all this is we offer a kit that you truly "get what you pay for". This means we have proven power, spool and reliability all across the country. Sure there are some hybrids with similar spool that you need ethanol mix or meth to get close to 300 and then the turbo is maxed out. No room left to grow. This kit allows you to make 300whp with no BS and stock fuel system and no mixing. With PLENTY of room to grow down the line into more power.

Russ

DHM1

1000 Post Club
Figured this fit here, since the kit is basically a 2860.
The turbo compressor wheel inducer size is the same as a gt2560, and is > 4mm bigger than a C39 and GT2554. Our GTX360R kit 100% applies to to this thread. It shows a small proper set up can spool amazing, fast and make 80-100 more whp. But if I'm not allowed to have a small turbo option in this group I understand.

Russ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club

That's the original cyborg with the stock clipped turbine, not a C39. The original would make 20psi really quick (3000rpm) and then build from there. The C39 spools completely and quickly. That video is at least a year old, maybe 2 years old I don't remember. Back then, people were saying "this type turbo will never make any power, and you just expect us to believe you? It's not a GTX45, so it can't make anymore power, and we want data data data, without Data we'll never know". And of course I knew, because this is not my first rodeo with these type turbos. Fast forward to 2 years later and..... well.... those people don't really have an argument. The same goes for the X37 vs C39. How do it know? Because I've built both turbos. I know what is inside both turbos. I know what both compressor wheels are capable of. Just because no one else does, doesn't mean I don't know better. Do I really need to have DATA to know that a 285hp compressor wheel is going to make less power than a 320hp compressor wheel? Not really....

A C39 car may make 250WHP
A X37 may make 280whp.

But the same C39 car with an X37 would make 230-235whp.
And the same X37 car with a C39 would make 300-310whp.

Understand ? Just because one car in one climate on one dyno at one elevation with one intercooler with one fuel on one engine makes XXXwhp does not change the internals of a machine. A turbo is a machine. It can only live up to its potential if you give it max support. So no doubt in my mind, a X37 car with max support vs a C39 car with a Walmart tune on it ( not to mention one driver with nothing to prove, and another driver hell bent on cementing his purchase choice ), and it's no surprise what the outcome is... not to me anyway...