Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

COOLERWORX Pro Short Shifter Installation Tips & Tricks + Linkage Redesign Discussion

Mine broke 3 days ago. I daily my car. Not crazy jamming gears everywhere. Crazy how this happened. Feel like it’s gonna happen again.
I'm seeing these studs and they all have a jam nut. I installed my coolerworx yesterday, none of the ball studs have any form of jam nut. Is it possible the design changed? IMG_20200507_154251_094.jpg

I'm seeing these studs and they all have a jam nut. I installed my coolerworx yesterday, none of the ball studs have any form of jam nut. Is it possible the design changed?
Mine was different from the earlier ones also, they reduced the length of the failing part so now there’s a steeper linkage angle towards the bell crank... makes the shift pattern feel a little weird and skewed for gears 1-2

Mine was different from the earlier ones also, they reduced the length of the failing part so now there’s a steeper linkage angle towards the bell crank... makes the shift pattern feel a little weird and skewed for gears 1-2
Does it feel like the shifter moves slightly back when you are between first and second? I wonder if it's any stronger

Does anyone else have the issue where it's slightly hard to shift to sixth? It's not a binding thing, but the return spring is so strong it wants to pull the shifter back to fourth when shifting rapidly. I can control it, it's just a very awkward angle for my shoulder

Sakel and AZSP33D (and anyone else with the revised shifter), how are you feeling about the shifter in light of the ‘off’ shift pattern? Still worth it, or does it make it feel too weird?

Sakel and AZSP33D (and anyone else with the revised shifter), how are you feeling about the shifter in light of the ‘off’ shift pattern? Still worth it, or does it make it feel too weird?
My recommendation... get it, install it, metal bushings on top of the tranny recommended, along with a cable alignment reset... meaning remove the battery and battery tray.

Perhaps also look into tweaking and modifying in the future as more people will be doing that in the years to come. I would plan on removing and servicing after 10K miles or so depending on the use, looking things over carefully and seeing whats out there to make improvements to the Coolerwerx. I've already machined a new nub that's 1/4" longer (modified something else is more accurate) to try out in the future... will probably polish and surface harden or micro-shot-peen the new nub, but this may put more stress on the aluminum bellcrank and bearings, so we'll see. There's also the redesigned steel bellcrank available here as mentioned. The product has gone through some improvements and chages already, that's a good sign. Perhaps a new or modified bellcrank further inboard. We're just being very picky actually.

Personally after about 3 hours of driving I can't notice it anymore

I've noticed an odd issue, my car no longer knows when it's in reverse. The lights never come on and it doesn't wipe the rear window. I replaced the sensor in the transmission because it was cheap, but the issue still persists.

OP
JDG

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #152
@JDG Can you please briefly explain how to adjust adjustable linkages? I accidentally reset factory settings and have no idea how to adjust them or what factory settings are. Thanks!
Are you adjusting the CoolerWorx linkages? Or the OEM shifter cables? Or the CoolerWorx grub screws?

Are you adjusting the CoolerWorx linkages? Or the OEM shifter cables? Or the CoolerWorx grub screws?
CoolerWorx linkeges (see images below)

I guess Spark Plug Steve covered how to adjust CoolerWorx grub screws. But I am not sure if one needs to adjust OEM shifter cables. Am I right?

Untitled 2.png Untitled 2.png

OP
JDG

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #154
You are asking two different questions. Be very specific, what do you need to know?

OP
JDG

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #156
@JDG let me try again: can you please explain how to adjust CoolerWorx linkages?
I have no idea. They are set up pre-adjusted when they arrive from CoolerWorx. You shouldn't need to make any adjustments. But if you messed your's up, I can measure my linkages and send you those lengths.

Pete B

I moved the linkages around while fiddling with my shifter before install too. To get a general idea of where they need to be, I marked where each shifter cable was for each gear with a sharpie before removing the stock shifter and adjusted the linkages on the Coolerworx to match after install. This also helps with setting the stops for R, 1-2 and 5-6. If you don't mark the cables it's not a big deal either; adjust the side to side cable linkage so it goes into 3-4 easily when centered. The front to back linkage doesn't matter as long as it doesn't bind up, you can set it where you want to move the knob forward/backward.

Mine was completely non adjusted, I found third in the gearbox then adjusted it left to right until it was completely centered. Then I found fifth and adjusted the set screws until it was just a tiny bit away from the shifter, doing the same with reverse and first