Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

HaveBlue83

I thought you where unsubscribing from this thread?

Relax man.
and then you continued it with a quote and reply, thinking that I wouldn't see you continue to mock me as if I was an ignorant fool. Homey don't play that.

sorry rodmoe. I hope this is a nice constructive reply that is acceptable. I'm here to talk about intakes, and apparently you cannot DO that in here unless you run a sealed-box setup. now that I know that, I'm audi here.

razorlab

1000 Post Club
I replied to you one time stating your incorrect relationship with thermal dynamics. Then I replied to you again saying to relax.

I highly suggest you look back at my reply and read it again, noting that there is nothing in there that is "mocking" you.

Then you said you are unsubscribing from the thread, which you didn't and now you say you are "audi".

It sounds like you don't play well with adults that have educated opinions and are up for a little debate, instead, throwing a fit when it doesn't fit into your eight sided box.

Have fun with that. You must be a real hit at parties.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
I really need a bigger screen on my phone as my old eyes get site reading this banter . A warning is for ALL not just the last poster so please don't feel targeted .. If that was the case I would have made contact via "other" means ..
A good healthy discussion is always fun and sometimes spirited conversations get taken out of context. As it is very hard to put a tone or feeling into typed words . That said what was the topic at hand ??
Relax take a few deep breaths.. We are all here to share and learn ..

We use manufacturing partners for a lot of the larger parts we make because we just don't have the space or resources to make it all in house, especially for more intensive manufacturing processes (casting, roto molding, etc). In the case of the intake, it just so happens we are working with a local, US based company. However in our experience, the "home" of a vendor has little to do with if the product will be high quality or not. That's why our engineers are so busy: constantly visiting and communicating with our partners while still making time to work on the in-house production AND design new parts! It gets pretty crazy, good thing we love our jobs ;)

Fingers crossed intake ETA is next month! No promises, but we are working so hard to get it out.

Ian

TheStig

We use manufacturing partners for a lot of the larger parts we make because we just don't have the space or resources to make it all in house, especially for more intensive manufacturing processes (casting, roto molding, etc). In the case of the intake, it just so happens we are working with a local, US based company. However in our experience, the "home" of a vendor has little to do with if the product will be high quality or not. That's why our engineers are so busy: constantly visiting and communicating with our partners while still making time to work on the in-house production AND design new parts! It gets pretty crazy, good thing we love our jobs ;)

Fingers crossed intake ETA is next month! No promises, but we are working so hard to get it out.

Ian
Many companies get great products made in other countries by implementing stringent quality control and being very detailed with said out-of-house companies. I 100% trust COBB on that, main reason i went with Injen is cost and its availability right now.

Itll be winter soon and amazing here.

iso100

1000 Post Club
There it is. The final word on manufacturing company for the COBB intake. Maybe people will *redacted* about outsourcing overseas being the cause of the delay.

Hmmm, "next" month. Are we referring to last Thursday of October now on that intake?

Ian
patiently waiting for this. . . .

dyn085

2000 Post Club
It's a warm-air intake as well. I'll pass.

I took some logs on the way to and from work yesterday and then taped up the hole last night to see what sort of difference may or may not exist and it appears to me (just from the gauges) that it will be quite different. I'm data-logging today as well to see just how much and what is affected.

Just by looking at the data it seems like the absolute first thing that should be done to a FiST when it comes to hard-parts is the intercooler. Once that mod has been done a warm-air intake shouldn't be as detrimental to performance.

hopefully by spring time ill be able to get an intercooler and accessport, being a single dad is tough on the old finances

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Any problems the all of other open element intakes have will be just as bad with that hot air intake.
Seriously K&N really slacks off these days. This is why hardly anyone buys their stuff anymore (except folks who don't know better).

Disappointing because I know they're capable of a quality intake.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Any problems the other intakes have will be way worse with that hot air intake.
Seriously K&N really slacks off these days. This is why nobody buys their stuff anymore (except folks who don't know better).
That's ridiculous. The Injen appears worse as it's heat shield is completely open up top. Even the dyno sheets that are posted show the Injen delivering 2 hp/1 ft lb less. Not that I lean too much on manufacturer claims, but you can't claim the Injen is so good and then turn around and say the K&N is bad when they are so similar in design.

K&N, on the Mk3 Focus platform that I came from, easily outperformed Injen. Obviously that doesn't apply here, but Injen always seems to be the first to market with just an 'average' intake. While I understand the technique of grabbing the early sales, the product usually reflects in that decision.

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
That's ridiculous. The Injen appears worse as it's heat shield is completely open up top. Even the dyno sheets that are posted show the Injen delivering 2 hp/1 ft lb less. Not that I lean too much on manufacturer claims, but you can't claim the Injen is so good and then turn around and say the K&N is bad when they are so similar in design.

K&N, on the Mk3 Focus platform that I came from, easily outperformed Injen. Obviously that doesn't apply here, but Injen always seems to be the first to market with just an 'average' intake. While I understand the technique of grabbing the early sales, the product usually reflects in that decision.
Don't get me wrong, K&N has made some great stuff in the past. Just given their lead time here, it just seems to me like they really phoned it in with this one... and as a parts merchandiser whose job it is to watch such things, in general their work has been, shall we say, "less than inspiring" lately.

More than anything, I'm annoyed K&N didn't develop a better heat shield. Injen's fast to market with such things, so it's understandable their heatshield was less than perfect, but GOD I hope we can talk Greddy into giving us something closer to a proper sealed airbox intake setup.

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Well, he sells the Injen but not the K&N, what do you expect? ;) He wants to sell the Injen.

Personally I have a problem with a vendor also being a staff member on a forum, serious conflict of interest, but hey, not my forum.
ummm.... the company I work for sells both K&N and Injen, dude... and did I at any point in the posts discussing the K&N intake say the Injen setup was better than K&N? I said I hoped for more out of them given the quality of their work in the past. I also freelance for Cobb on the side (but nobody's complaining about that), but I am crossing my fingers hoping Greddy, aFe or Takeda produces a nice sealed airbox class intake since they actually have a 3d scanner and 3d printer to prototype such things... and if you want to know, for air induction products, my personal preference is aFe Power out of everyone currently in the US Aftermarket, if you're going to accuse me of bias, they're who I'm biased towards because they a) deliver well engineered, quality product b) always have dyno sheets and c) provide thorough content (pictures, videos etc) of their items. I like vendors that give me good assets and information to work with more, but in general I try quite hard to keep things impartial and unbiased because the VENDORS THEMSELVES get mad if we play favorites.

Reread what I said - ALL open-filter type intake systems suffer from some form of heat soak issue. ALL OF THEM. DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND THE CONCEPT OF "ALL"?
Pretty sure "ALL" doesn't mean "EVERYONE BUT INJEN"

Here is an example of a K&N product being sold at ModBargains.

You may note that Injen does not offer a sealed airbox style intake, nor did I say anything about it not suffering from some heat issues like all of the other open-filter class intakes currently on the market, which again, goes back to why I am annoyed K&N half-assed it when I know they are capable of better work.

Hell, I'm not even running an Injen intake currently! I had to revert to stock two or three months back figuring I'd be shooting the Cobb intake how-to... but of course, here we are, months later, no Cobb Intake.

I have said it before and I will say it again: I am not a salesperson. I make no extra money whether or not you buy a thing after I put it up on the internet as I'm again, not a salesperson and not commissioned. I am a Fiesta ST enthusiast first, ModBargains employee 2nd. My job is to research the car thoroughly and put together the most comprehensive selection possible of parts for our cars (and others)... I don't even have a phone at my desk, man.

Seriously, what the hell? I'm allowed to have an opinion on the design of a product the last time I checked.

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
It's not listed on your site. This is for sure not the first time you have shown bias on products you sell and talked down on products you do not.

Also, is there a reason you aren't vendor status?
Because I'm not a salesperson, don't run the vendor subsection here and I contribute content like photos, videos and thorough writeups.

I haven't gotten around to listing the K&N intake because it's time consuming to list things, I'm assigned things to add in addition to whatever I find myself and I have my hands full right now trying to get caught up on brakes for BMW applications, and today I'm trying to get the COBB FMIC and chargepipe set added, so the K&N intake setup has not exactly been a priority, I'll get to it eventually in the next couple weeks. It's been out for less than a month. If you're really interested in buying one I can rearrange some things to add it sooner.

I don't work with ACES/PIES files unfortunately which means my listings are done by hand.

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
You specifically said that any problems other intakes have will be worse with *that hot air intake*, of which I read to mean the K&N.

You have a blog post about how great the Injen is.

His other account is the vendor account.
-_-'' Yes, and? Did I post that here today?

I wrote that after a month or so of having it fitted, and used it for several months. I could understand you trying to throw that in my face if I wrote it yesterday, but we're talking more than 6 months, dude.

The heat shield design of the K&N unit, the way it's cut, looks like there's going to be more hot air ingestion than other designs I've seen and this too fails to close up the space at the corner of the battery where the main problem was. I wrote a REVIEW when it came out, which I think is pretty reasonable - it delivered a modest gain in power but a definite increase in noise for the "blow off valve" crowd and was quite loud, and I did end up adding additional heat shielding and have since made numerous posts suggesting alternate means to get more out of the design, specifically adding a 90* coupler where the injen setup's inlet currently is and relocating that to the bumper to address the heat issue, and I stand by my assessment of the intake tube making a significant improvement in response. To date, I haven't seen anyone release an adequately heat-shielded intake. If you can find one, please post it.

With the Injen intake On hot days idling I observed a greater increase in intake air temperatures than the stock airbox and while adding extra heat shielding alleviated this it didn't totally eliminate the problem, leading me to the conclusion that only a sealed airbox will yield the greatest benefit. This is why I am currently running a COBB High Flow Filter with a modified and DUCTED stock airbox. I don't sell those.

Of course, this is a moot point if you have an FMIC which will adjust the charge air temp to within a 5*f of ambient - on a car with a stock intercooler however, the difference will be more noticeable.

This is why I have revised my recommendations since writing the article and you will see such has been reflected in numerous posts since then.