Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

JPGC

2000 Post Club
I think quality wise, you can't go wrong with either. The COBB intercooler is a little larger and different design from what I have seen so it may cool a little better, but I can't back that up with testing results. The mountune parts that I have installed fit flawlessly and look great, like they should have been there from the start. They are pricey though. Both companies use the Accessport so that's easy, just depends on who you want the actual tune file to come from. Power wise, you probably won't see much difference because of the similarities of the parts. I personally intend to keep this car for a while and want parts that will last without me having to constantly worry about the parts causing problems. I'm a little OCD with this so both of these companies give me peace of mind. You will know what I'm talking about if you have ever installed a product from a less than reputable company. The quality makes a world of difference.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I don't mind spending extra cash to get the price product. Especially if that product is proven to be worth it on every category.

HaveBlue83

Ummm do you even know where the IAT sensor is and its purpose? [shameful] HOw is a bigger FMIC gonna help you at idle in traffic and your IAT?? The factory IC on the Fist is adequate you must be thinking of the Fost?

um.......a fmic acts as a heat soak. it keeps cold after driving. if you have ever felt a quality one (like a garrett core) after driving it, you will notice that it is ICE COLD about halfway down the front, all the way to the outlet pipe. it doesn't just suddenly GET hot when u stop. it stays cold for awhile; that's it's job. the FIST's #1 shortcoming right now IS the inferior FMIC. I went to an injen intake for sound and the fun of it. im not monitoring the IAT sensor much, I'm monitoring the CHARGE AIR TEMP.....the one AFTER the fmic...the temp of the air charge. idgaf what the IAT is, it's not an N/A car! if you pull up the IAT and the CAT, the IAT might be 101, the CAT is 94, and the ambient is 87. the car is not seeing 101deg air to the engine, it's seeing 94.

PS, COBB themselves said that the people making it did not have the quality they wanted, so they are REdoing the intakes. if it was made IN HOUSE, as the price suggests, this would not have been an issue. How much is a TIG welder and a dude knocking out custom made parts? that's like me buying a PTE tubular manifold and then it going on backorder because DNP says "the guys who make it for us didn't do a good job"......um.........ur a custom shop and u sub out parts? wattttt? wtf am i paying MORE for if you arent even making them to ensure QC?

i will just have to stop, because OBV I know jack, and I'm just a noob here, and this is just my first car and I'm in way over my head. ho hum.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
um.......a fmic acts as a heat soak. it keeps cold after driving. if you have ever felt a quality one (like a garrett core) after driving it, you will notice that it is ICE COLD about halfway down the front, all the way to the outlet pipe. it doesn't just suddenly GET hot when u stop. it stays cold for awhile; that's it's job. the FIST's #1 shortcoming right now IS the inferior FMIC. I went to an injen intake for sound and the fun of it. im not monitoring the IAT sensor much, I'm monitoring the CHARGE AIR TEMP.....the one AFTER the fmic...the temp of the air charge. idgaf what the IAT is, it's not an N/A car! if you pull up the IAT and the CAT, the IAT might be 101, the CAT is 94, and the ambient is 87. the car is not seeing 101deg air to the engine, it's seeing 94.

PS, COBB themselves said that the people making it did not have the quality they wanted, so they are REdoing the intakes. if it was made IN HOUSE, as the price suggests, this would not have been an issue. How much is a TIG welder and a dude knocking out custom made parts? that's like me buying a PTE tubular manifold and then it going on backorder because DNP says "the guys who make it for us didn't do a good job"......um.........ur a custom shop and u sub out parts? wattttt? wtf am i paying MORE for if you arent even making them to ensure QC?

i will just have to stop, because OBV I know jack, and I'm just a noob here, and this is just my first car and I'm in way over my head. ho hum.
I'm not trying to get into your argument with re-rx7, but my input on this is that yes all of our results will differ in different environments. One thing to consider is that even if you have a Garrett core and such, that core will not help you in 20 miles of city stop and go traffic because it never gets the chance to really get cold. It will heat soak just like any other intercooler. This is where the open underhood filter type intake will drive those IATs and CATs up. This may not be a problem for you, idk, but for me it is as I have to deal with it daily.

As for COBB outsourcing vs making products in house, lol, do you think that the FiST is their only platform. Could you imagine a couple of high quality TIG welders doing all of their welding for all of their products? It would cost them a fortune and take forever. At the end of the day, they still have to make money and please their customers at the same time. I also, personally think that the rate in which they and other companies are releasing products for the FiST is fine as they are coming out faster than the aftermarket came out for my 2011 Mustang GT. It was also a first year run on that model when I got it, btw.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
All that arguing is giving me a headache. Can't we all just voice our opinion without drama, lol. None of us are perfect and really know it all. We all learn from each other.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club

Just. Stop. Please. It. Hurts.

I'm not trying to get into your argument with re-rx7, but my input on this is that yes all of our results will differ in different environments. One thing to consider is that even if you have a Garrett core and such, that core will not help you in 20 miles of city stop and go traffic because it never gets the chance to really get cold. It will heat soak just like any other intercooler. This is where the open underhood filter type intake will drive those IATs and CATs up. This may not be a problem for you, idk, but for me it is as I have to deal with it daily.

As for COBB outsourcing vs making products in house, lol, do you think that the FiST is their only platform. Could you imagine a couple of high quality TIG welders doing all of their welding for all of their products? It would cost them a fortune and take forever. At the end of the day, they still have to make money and please their customers at the same time. I also, personally think that the rate in which they and other companies are releasing products for the FiST is fine as they are coming out faster than the aftermarket came out for my 2011 Mustang GT. It was also a first year run on that model when I got it, btw.
Give up all hope man. LOl Great post btw.

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
oh yea, i have a unicorn IC that runs Unicorn tears (freon) through it to keep it super cold, that runs off an electric A/C compressor so not to rob the engine of power. Powered from my full roof solar panels so as to not work my alternator to hard.

BAM! Mind Blown! [boxface]

P.S.

The solar panels are built into the roof and weigh the same as stock roof

HaveBlue83

I'm not arguing at all. I'm just typing. RE-RX7, you are like the popular chick that has all of these opinions of me, but I don't care about any of them :). This place is starting to feel a lil like focusfanatics did.....unicorns and rainbows and "stuff". you guys have fun in here, I'm going to unsub from this thread as I already have an intake, and nobody wants to hear about anything but the Cobb one that doesn't exist yet. JPGC, good posts, thanks for being unbiased.

if it matters, I do 99% backroads, most of them have no lines on them. I see a few min in a town and then boom in back doing 60-80mph again. one day a sealed box would be great.

iso100

1000 Post Club
A passive intercooler can *never* produce charge air temps below ambient. It's just not possible.

Unless you are spraying CO2 on the front or you're using a water/air charge cooler and running ice water through it, your charge air temps will always be at least slightly above ambient.

The idea that a nice, big IC can make charge temps lower than ambient is just fantasy... Unless the laws of thermodynamics have changed recently.

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
I just posted my Unicorn IC to lighten the mood a little.

Failed i see.

to each their own. i personally don't care what parts anyone uses, doesn't effect me at all.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Humor will not be tolerated. People will be beaten until moral improves.

Anywho, I took some pictures while driving in to work today. I would have datalogged it, but my datalogs are currently set to pick up what I need for my tune just in case I happen to run across areas that work for it. Nonetheless, I have my six-gauge screen setup to monitor temps (this is the screen I use whenever I first start driving) and thought I would take some shots to document part of my trip in. I tried to get shots roughly every 1/2 mile and include the ambient temp and odometer displays on the instrument panel.

Again, stock box with Cobb filter and 3" hole cut to test the 'unlimited plenum' mod. Theoretically this setup should be a bit cooler then any of the warm-air intakes due to it still having access to a little bit of cold air via the OEM runner. The first pic starts after having sat in the McDonald's (fat kid was hungry) line for too long, then pulling out to the stoplight-

After making the turn I set cruise at 50 mph-

There's one stoplight, and this shot is just past that (I didn't have to full-stop before it turned green)-

And now the speed limit increases between the next pic and the one following, in which cruise is bumped-up to 60 mph-

The final shot is 3 miles from the first, in which my intake temps have finally come within 10? of ambient and is roughly where it sits during steady-state driving since I cut that hole-

As you can see, it took quite a while for the IC to shed the extra heat that was built up from the McDonald's stop. You can see that I wasn't trying to bump the numbers by looking at the compressor outlet numbers and noting that they stay constant.

Sorry if you're eyes hurt from the blurry shots...

TheStig

Maybe i will get with my friend who has a 3D printer and possibly try to build a box around the Injen filter and utilize the factory intake snout aswell. If we feel froggy enough between him building his Miata for JCCS. Shouldnt be too hard at all.

razorlab

1000 Post Club
um.......a fmic acts as a heat soak. it keeps cold after driving. if you have ever felt a quality one (like a garrett core) after driving it, you will notice that it is ICE COLD about halfway down the front, all the way to the outlet pipe.
No it's not, unless it's ice cold outside, that is 100%, can't even argue about it, impossible. A passive intercooler will never cool below ambient , ever. ever.

Ever.

Ever.

HaveBlue83

Omfggggggggg no s**t sherlock. I said the INTERCOOLER feels ice cold, NOT the charge air!!! Of course you cannot go below ambiant. If you thought i meant ice cold as in the charge air is 32deg then you clearly lack reading comprehension skills. Im ober here like.....wow....just wow.

Omg stop putting words in my mouth. You guys are so ignorant of everything im saying.now someone go give me an infraction or something since i just gave my opinion on an online forum that differs from everyone elses.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
I collected some logs on the way home from datalogging to show temps a bit better than just some blurry pics-
http://www.datazap.me/u/dyn085/driving-0?log=0&data=11

They are relatively long but all three are from the same drive, I just stopped and restarted logging to have some smaller file sizes. Halfway through the second I turned on the AC. Maybe in a day or two I can tape up the hole I cut to get something comparable. Ambient display on the cluster said 78 degrees, fwiw.