Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

GR Corolla Ownership vs Fiesta ST

Dialcaliper

Is there ever really a car that's hpde-ready from the factory? I think the 86 is closest but I can't fit in one. I always have my next car in the back of my mind for when the Fiesta vents it's block. But I'm coming up empty on this one. CTR is probably my choice but it's toouch $$. Maybe Civic Si or sport?
The only cars I’ve seen that you can drive from
The showroom to the track for serious use out of the box are in the realm of Porsche GTx cars, Nissan GTR, Corvette, Lotus, and boutique track cars (Caterham, Ariel, etc). Basically you’re Looking at $70k+ for someone to track prep a car for you and personally I can’t justify spending that kind of money (along with the parts “tax” that comes with them).

While you can technically take anything to the track, and some up-trimmed cars come close (Civic, ND Miata etc) anything else has at least a few compromises to for the street that need to be ironed out, and honestly I enjoy making the modifications almost as much as driving the car.

I will say that going back to cars made pre-2010 makes for fewer headaches of the software type - Modern cars being so computerized makes everything more complicated and no software is ever free of bugs.

The GRC looks pretty amazing with a lot of potential, I hope they fix the bugs. The way things are going, there will probably be a “facelift” and special edition, but carmakers are really going for the last hurrah of gas-burning cars. I seriously doubt we’ll see carmakers spend to develop a new generation of most cars that makes it to the US before everything is electric or at least hybridized. California is such a huge market not just for cars in general but on top of that, places like CA, NY, etc also account for a disproportionately higher fraction of the much smaller market for high end vehicle
trims (GR, STI, type R, BMW-M, etc etc) than the overall vehicle sales would suggest, so the emissions and EV pressure are going to have a heavy impact on performance oriented cars especially on the bigger mass market brands come 2035. (The EV/hybrid mandate is already at 35% of new sales)

What we’re likely to see is high performance hybrids coming out of the smaller car companies, which will still be allowed to sell plug in hybrids in California, at least for a while, but unless it’s a new trim/model that debuts in the next few years, it’s not likely to be sold in the US (maybe elsewhere in the world)

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I really wish Toyota made the gr Yaris over here. It looks about the same size as the fist, it’s manual transmission, and it’s awd. The gr Corolla looks too big for me.
View: https://youtu.be/jtXoZ6_YNTs
Edit: in finding this video I went down a dangerous path and now am really mad that we don’t get the gr Yaris. Not that I could afford one anyway 😂
Yes, even IF I had the coin, the Yaris GR top editions are the only ones I would consider spending it on, even though (even more so than a Corolla), yes YARIS.

It is smaller, lighter and 'tighter' than the Corolla, and much more true to it's rally roots than the bigger ride, despite it's similar track-unworthy problems.

It would be a year 'round, ALL weather/conditions (despite it's co$t and rarity), toss-able, nimble STREET ride (and rally working car) for me, and most likely would never see a track or drag strip, if they could ever be bought and owned here. [wink]

I've also determined that I love the building/modifying a bit more than the actual track driving. Assuming they are still around in a couple years an Exocet will be my next fun car.
I'm with you on the Exocet. Would be a blast to drive and race.

Is there ever really a car that's hpde-ready from the factory? I think the 86 is closest but I can't fit in one. I always have my next car in the back of my mind for when the Fiesta vents it's block. But I'm coming up empty on this one. CTR is probably my choice but it's toouch $$. Maybe Civic Si or sport?
Maybe the old gen of the 86 but the new one suffer from heavy oil pressure drop on high G right hand turns. It's being currently closely monitored and documented by a lot of people.

ronmcdon

Mine is most likely a Lotus Emira.
thats really nice! maybe the closest thing one can get to cayman gt4 and a good bit more affordable too. wonderful they decided to go with hydraulic steering, that would be a huge selling point for me.
nicest looking car too at 77k no doubt.

since I am poor, looking into the possibility of getting another 240sx. wonder how much of a hassle it would be to import a S15. Think they will be legal next year, although hard to say how much of a hassle it'll be with CARB in CA. Maybe its less of money pit with it being well sorted from the factory.

heres an example
https://jdm-expo.com/vehicle-inventory/1115-nissan-silvia-s15-spec-r-sale.html

Dpro

6000 Post Club
thats really nice! maybe the closest thing one can get to cayman gt4 and a good bit more affordable too. wonderful they decided to go with hydraulic steering, that would be a huge selling point for me.
nicest looking car too at 77k no doubt.

since I am poor, looking into the possibility of getting another 240sx. wonder how much of a hassle it would be to import a S15. Think they will be legal next year, although hard to say how much of a hassle it'll be with CARB in CA. Maybe its less of money pit with it being well sorted from the factory.

heres an example
https://jdm-expo.com/vehicle-inventory/1115-nissan-silvia-s15-spec-r-sale.html
closer to 100k but the M3 gets me. decent portion of the way there. I would buy another S13 Fastback if I could find a clean one for a reasonable price.

ronmcdon

the 77k trim is not bad, but a shame it is dct only. 23k premium is a lot of money to get a manual transmission.

I would think japanese imports would be a good alternative, given how increasingly difficult and expensive it is to get older 90s usdm japanese cars.

that being said, I don't know if there are additional costs and smog complications for states with CARB like CA. Another issue might be difficulty in finding parts. An S15 or an fd-rx7 is not bad, but I would not have the courage to get something like a r32 gtr as nice as that would be.

OP
J
Thread Starter #32
The XSE can do everything the GRC does and it looks better.
Definitely news to me that the XSE can have twin LSDs, turbocharged engine, and stiffened chassis all around. I’ll concede that the XSE can have a better wing than the Core model but this is a delusional take.

Checks out Yahoo Auctions Japan for the car, and run it through a Montana LLC to avoid the CARB.

Shameless plug, not a 240, but... https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-nissan-skyline-gt-r-42/

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Definitely news to me that the XSE can have twin LSDs, turbocharged engine, and stiffened chassis all around. I’ll concede that the XSE can have a better wing than the Core model but this is a delusional take.
Didn’t meant to trigger you. I was referring to street use which is all the GRC is good for at the moment. I was simply stating flaws so that you were aware should you decide to use the car for its intended purpose. If you’re using for a daily you’ll likely never have an issue. I still think the XSE “looks” better but that’s just my opinion and irrelevant. I’ll reframe from commenting further. Enjoy your new ride! 👍

Dpro

6000 Post Club
the 77k trim is not bad, but a shame it is dct only. 23k premium is a lot of money to get a manual transmission.

I would think japanese imports would be a good alternative, given how increasingly difficult and expensive it is to get older 90s usdm japanese cars.

that being said, I don't know if there are additional costs and smog complications for states with CARB like CA. Another issue might be difficulty in finding parts. An S15 or an fd-rx7 is not bad, but I would not have the courage to get something like a r32 gtr as nice as that would be.
You don’t just get manual trans, the base model comes with AMG turbo four pushing 340hp . The top of the line with the manual is a 400HP supercharged V6 Toyota engine. For the extra money you get a shit ton more TQ 60 more HP 6 speed manual.

Oh and Japanese reliability and maintenance costs vs Mercedes performance division engine maintenance costs. Yes AMG fours will cost more to maintain.

As far as the S15 goes not sure but Sam Chang ( Jspec) owns and drives a R32 GTR and Juan aka Bardabe Performance drives one too, of course Juan up and moved his whole shop to Austin because he tunes GTR’s. I personally have issues with the whole right hand drive thing on left hand drive roads.

In the end the cool thing to do would be to find a deal on S30 240z and drop a VQ setup in it which sits behind the struts towers and is as light as a SR20DET in full dress. The only thing that is heavier would be the 6 speed trans but it sits dead center at the lowest point in the car. Also that would change the handling character of the car as it would make it a mid front engine setup. and negate a lot of the front end plow that the big heavy inline 6’s caused hanging out way in front of the strut towers.
Ya I have thought about this! :ROFLMAO:

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
People have said that for years though. $21k for "just a Neon" in 2003, nearly $40k for a Focus RS, Golf R, etc.
I don’t think they’re wrong. Car prices have been ridiculous. It’s why I owned the ms3 and now a fist. I was looking at the hybrid maverick because it was finally an affordable simple truck but they’re hard to find and they went from $19k to $24k very quickly.

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
The fact that a 50k factory prepped Hot Hatch is even comparable to the FiST being 3 times the cost is saying something on how good a car the FiST is. I've had 2 Audi's both modded with over 500hp and a host of other cars, but none gave me the smile factor the FiST does. So usable everyday without drawing too much attention to my shenanigans. I'll have to see what the GR prices look like in the used market in a year or two.
Plus inexpensive to insure, maintain and upgrade!!! I'm loving my LSD......SOOOO much.

ronmcdon

Checks out Yahoo Auctions Japan for the car, and run it through a Montana LLC to avoid the CARB.

Shameless plug, not a 240, but... https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-nissan-skyline-gt-r-42/
thats a really clean example. right under 40k is not bad at all for a car around 60k miles, given so many r33s and r34 would be over 100k.

how would a montana llc work? do you have any articles that would explain this process well? I have a house that I rent out in AZ, but sadly in Maricopa county where there is smog. almost tempted not to rent it out, just to register cars there, but that would mean losing out on rent money I can use.

ronmcdon

I personally have issues with the whole right hand drive thing on left hand drive roads.
:ROFLMAO:
how do you see this being an issue? Other than parking lots or toll booths, maybe theres something Im missing here.