Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Loud clunk at WOT

So on my ?14 Fiesta with 5k miles, I?m getting a loud clunk when shifting from first to second at WOT. The bang happens when you clutch in, and then when you release the clutch ? not when you?re moving the shifter. It sounds like something is whacking the floorboard, and you can feel it in the floor. It?s very loud, and very annoying. It doesn't happen unless you run up the RPM's and clutch in and out fast, and only on the 1-2 shift. Under normal driving, it's fine, and when you clutch in and out slowly it's also usually quiet.. It's just when you're clutching in and out fast at WOT that it happens, or if you take off hard from a stop. I noticed that it's also started to develop a little rattle at low RPM's on the passenger side of the car now, and I think it may be related.

I bought a Mountune RMM because I thought that would fix the issue, but it made no difference, so I?m thinking it has to be something else. I took it into the dealer and they replaced all my exhaust hangers and checked my mounts. They also had a Ford engineer look at the car, and said they didn?t see anything that seemed wrong.

Here?s what?s odd: Today, I found that with the AC on, it doesn?t bang nearly as often (if at all), even at WOT and shifting as hard as I can. The car feels like it shifts a lot smoother with the AC on as well, usually I need to ease out of the clutch once I put it in second gear under normal driving or else it makes a soft clunk and shakes a little, but with the AC on it?s nice and smooth.. Here?s a video demonstrating the clunk from when I was trying out some different launch techniques, specifically at 45 seconds on notice how different the shift from 1-2 sounds compared to the shift from 2-3.. Oh and sorry for the bad driving, haha.

[video=youtube;od0fjMZQH5k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od0fjMZQH5k[/video]

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know! This is really frustrating. I'll update if I get any new information.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Did you check the other motor mounts as well as the newly installed one again ? the trans mount is over all ok but some have reported the passenger side motor mount bolt can fail. But to be safe give everything under hood a once over.

me32

1000 Post Club
I would check all the engine mounts and bolts to make sure there tq down to spec

OP
Z
Thread Starter #4
The dealer says they went over "everything", but didn't specify exactly what they checked so as soon as I get a free day I'll check the mounts. Any idea what proper torque spec is on the bolts?

Also, I've noticed now the passenger front rattle/grind/scrape/popping sound I mentioned earlier is becoming more frequent and louder now too, really thinking this is all connected. Thanks for the suggestions guys, hopefully I can get this fixed.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Any idea what proper torque spec is on the bolts?
Torque : 70 Nm (For RMM) (1) Torque : 80 Nm (2) Torque : 48 Nm (driverside) (1)Torque : 90 Nm (2)Torque : 125 Nm (passengerside)
I can not find the Tq spec for the Driverside Mount that joins the mount together and that is the bolt that fails I have heard. Nominal Tq spec on the m12x1.75 grade 8 bolt is 55 ft lbs give or take.

Attachments

OP
Z
Thread Starter #7
Thank you for the diagram! It was a big help. Found the problem for sure.. one of the bolt heads on the passenger side motor mount is sheared clean off, and the other two are so loose you can spin them with your fingers and wiggle the washers around.. So much for the dealer "checking" the mounts.

I'm guessing that the one bolt was defective and snapped, and that added stress to the other two and backed them out. I can't imagine three bolts all just backing out like that without a failure somewhere.. I'm going to take it in tomorrow and see if they can get it taken care of. I appreciate all the help guys!