Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Removing steering wheel trim?

MPA

Has anyone removed the silver steering wheel trim? I'm talking about the part that surrounds the stereo/cruise controls. I was looking to take mine off and do something with it (paint or hydrodip) since I'm not too fond of the silver.

Is it just the 2 screws I can feel on the back of the steering wheel? Anyone know what kind of screws they are?

OP
MPA

MPA

Thread Starter #3
I think the screws are too far outward to be for the airbag

good thread. was thinking of doing this too. blue anodized to match exterior

OP
MPA

MPA

Thread Starter #6
They don't describe how to remove it though.

But this looks like what I needed:
https://youtu.be/j1eZvobdqvo?t=2m45s

The 2 screws (T10) hold the plastic to the wheel, but the part of the trim piece that goes under the air bag cover is too big to pull out without removing the airbag. I found images showing airbag springs that need to be released to get the air bag off, but I've had no luck.

OP
MPA

MPA

Thread Starter #7
Anyone have advice on removing the air bag? Having no luck no matter what I try.

The horn pad with airbag is removed very easily actually. I found some good pics somewhere that I can't remember, but it's so easy I can easily explain. Look at the backside of the steering wheel and you will find 3 small holes. 2 are about inline with the directional and wiper stalks on the left and right side. The third is on the bottom. Once you find those holes make note of the size and find an appropriately sized Phillips head screw driver. Insert it straight into the holes and push to release the spring clip which is holding in the horn pad. That's it! Besides disconnecting the 2 electrical connectors of course. No need to pull on the horn pad at all! It pops right out one hole at a time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
MPA

MPA

Thread Starter #10
Thanks! I assume the normal mini-screwdrivers are what's needed? I just want to make sure i use something long enough.

Don't even need mini screwdrivers. Just one with about a 1/4" shaft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have to remove the whole steering wheel to remove the trim. I just did it the other day to replace the synthetic leather with redlinegoods leather. Not hard to remove it just make sure you have a 24mm socket to remove the center bolt. The airbag was time consuming because my 3mm hex wrench kept slipping past the release pin.

**EDIT**
I was putting the steering wheel back together and noticed that the two screws at the back of the steering wheel screw into the controls that are connected to the trim. So if I am not mistaken you can unscrew those and you should be able to remove the trim without removing the whole wheel.

You do not have to remove the whole wheel to get to that trim. You do have to remove the airbag which is simple. Make sure to disconnect the battery before messing with the airbag! There are 3 holes on the steering wheel that have a spring inside of them. You start by pushing a small screwdriver or pick into the hole and push the spring until it releases. Do the same for all 3 holes then disconnect the airbag. Then you will unscrew the 2 screws on the rear of the wheel that hold the trim in place. Next you will have to disconnect the controls(cruise control/ volume) this will be a little tight but it's easy enough. There will be some screws holding your controls into the trim but that's self explanatory. It's simple enough!

Bumping this to say thanks for the info on removing the trim! I had to buy some smaller torx bits to remove the button assemblies since mine only went down to 10. I think those may have been a 9 or 8? I used Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric Coating, it has held up very well in another car I’ve used it on.

Attachments

is there a way to remove the bottom silver trim on the wheel? the one with the ST logo?

edit: nvm i think it just pulls out

SrsBsns

Bumping this to say thanks for the info on removing the trim! I had to buy some smaller torx bits to remove the button assemblies since mine only went down to 10. I think those may have been a 9 or 8? I used Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric Coating, it has held up very well in another car I’ve used it on.
Yeah, they're 8mm torx bits. I had to buy a little kit since most kits only go down to 10.

I painted the trim black too. Here are a few shots. For anyone that wants to do this, it's honestly not very hard.
50107030521_1ceb68b7ea_c.jpg
50107268412_107e456c9f_c.jpg