Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stripped bolt

So I noticed earlier this week my car developed a small oil leak around the valve cover gasket. To be exact, it was leaking from the secondary fuel pump cover. As I was wrapping everything up and torqueing everything down to spec and in the stages alldata calls for I was met with the unlucky feeling of one of the bolts strip. Sure enough I backed it back out and it had pulled some threads with it. Now I know ideally I should have tapped in new threads, but my tap and die set is at work. So with that being said I tightened it down as much as I could and am hoping the RTV gasket maker creates a good enough seal.

With that being said, do you think I'll luck out and be fine? I have the bolt in question circled in the picture. I'm glad it's right next to a second bolt too so hopefully it'll just be fine.
Thanks in advanced for any responses!

image0.jpg

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Assuming that's supposed to look like the others around it, looks like there's an actual chunk missing there? Unless there's a lot of pressure, RTV Gasket Maker should hold pretty well. Believe it or not, I used the stuff to patch a small coolant hose on a prior vehicle; alternating layers of RTV/electrical tape/RTV/electrical tape/RTV/electrical tape. (the hose was a permanent mount to an engine part)

OP
N
Thread Starter #3
Assuming that's supposed to look like the others around it, looks like there's an actual chunk missing there? Unless there's a lot of pressure, RTV Gasket Maker should hold pretty well. Believe it or not, I used the stuff to patch a small coolant hose on a prior vehicle; alternating layers of RTV/electrical tape/RTV/electrical tape/RTV/electrical tape. (the hose was a permanent mount to an engine part)
I believe that ‘chunk’ is just from the angle I took the picture from and the fuel injector is just in the way. My thought process is the same though, I would imagine that there’s enough pressure since the circled bolt is the one that stripped the threads is right next to another bolt. I had a mercedes that had like 2/3 stripped valve cover bolts from the previous owner that never leaked from good ole rtv.